Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint blunder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phantompjcoupe, Oct 17, 2016.

1. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

So I made a mistake yesterday while spraying my engine and trans, and I am curious to know if anyone else has done this.
    So I prepped all my parts, first. Everything was scuffed properly and cleaned spotless.
    I mixed and then sprayed down some Transtar 6131 epoxy primer first. It's equivalent to PPG dp90lf, and I love it.
    I waited about 45 minutes to topcoat which is a little longer than the spec sheet stated(30 minutes), but well under the 72 hour window they give.
    Then I mixed my color basecoat, which is Axalta Chromabase. Here's where I f-ed up.
    I've sprayed this stuff before, but since I had the data sheets out, I glanced at them, and mixed the basecoat at a 4:1 ratio, and sprayed 2 medium coats on everything, waiting about 10 minutes between the coats.
    I waited just over a half hour, and started to mix my Axalta Chroma Premier clear. I glanced at the data sheet and realized that when I mixed the base, I looked at the wrong data sheet and mixed the basecoat to the clears' ratio.
    I was supposed to mix the base at 1:1, not 4:1.
    I dug my nail into the base where you wouldn't see it, and it seemed to have been dry enough to clear, so I sprayed my clear over it, at the proper ratio.
    When I finished, I got nervous and shot an email to the Axalta rep, and asked him what issues I should expect, if any. He replied, but didn't seem to be able to answer it solidly. He seemed like he was guessing, but said maybe color bleeding into the clear, and maybe adhesion issues down the road.
    I feel like an idiot, because I've shot this stuff a bunch of times before, and know I didn't screw up like this time. Just not paying attention, and rushing I guess.
    I don't really WANT to strip all this paint off to respray, cuz with my luck I'll have MORE problems the second time around. Plus it looks friggin gorgeous as is right now. But what do you guys think? Am I asking for trouble by leaving it?
    Have any of you done something like this before, or heard of it before? Are the paint reps guesses accurate?
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I don't think you're asking for trouble by leaving it. If there is trouble it's already been done. I'd leave it and see what happens down the road. I hate to undo something because there might be a problem. I'm more for fixing it when there is a problem. It's probably going to be just fine.

kiwijeff, jeffd1988, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Are you saying you mixed the base at 4 parts paint to 1 part thinner?

4. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

BJR, yeah that's exactly what I did. 4 parts paint to 1 part thinner(but Axalta calls their thinner "basemaker")

5. BJR

BJR

As long as it flowed out ok I see no problem with it. Fire it up and drive the hell out of it.

loudbang and phantompjcoupe like this.
  6. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Yeah. It flowed out and laid down fine. And it looks so damn good right now.
    And that's why I was on the fence about it.
    But I agree with you too oldschool66- I worry about causing more problems trying to redo it.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If it dries properly, it will probably be OK. You just put on 4x as much paint as they spec for 1 coat. Just look at it this way, you got 8 coats for the price of 2!:D

loudbang and phantompjcoupe like this.
  8. The thinning agent usually evaporates once the paint is sprayed, so, as long as it sprayed and flowed okay I see no problem down the road.

nailed31, phantompjcoupe and loudbang like this.
  9. i wouldn't worry about under thinning it causing a problem. what i think you might have a problem with is not letting the epoxy dry enough before painting. i always let it dry over night before top coating. the top coat may peel off.

phantompjcoupe and loudbang like this.
  10. Cirilian

Cirilian

The Axalta basemaker is not a reactive reducer, it's simply just a reducer. So, just like has been said, if it laid out when you sprayed it, then you're good to go.

nailed31, phantompjcoupe and loudbang like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am seriously surprised it went down that well. I certainly never get that luck.

Leave it.

12. metalman

metalman

I was thinking the same but then I realized he was painting a motor, lots of texture anyway. Might of been different if it was a hood or something

phantompjcoupe and loudbang like this.
  13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

CAN YOU POST SOME PICS OF YOUR ENGINE

phantompjcoupe likes this.
  14. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Would you still wait overnight even if the tech sheet says you can do it sooner?
    Normally, I'd let the primer fully cure and scuff it before I spray anything over it, but the paint guy said a lot of his customers spray it after it starts to kick and never have issues. "Follow the tech sheet" he said.
    Haha
    I hope I don't have more things to worry about now

15. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Considering I really don't spray often, I am looking at it as exactly that- luck!

16. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Definitely! I hope these post alright. Forgive the ugly valve covers, dipstick, etc. she needs to be dressed up a bit. I'll hit that this weekend.

[​IMG][​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. i had problems using that product. in any grooves or tops of body lines where it could build up a little it was sheeting off the top coat. i called the tech/paint rep and he said it must be dried COMPLETELY and he thought the tech sheet was wrong. the tech sheet also said something like "wet on wet" which is a deceiving statement. "wet on wet" really means it does not have to be sanded to get adhesion not what it sounds like, wet paint over wet primer. the dp40lf i have sprayed over when it was still wet and never had a problem, but the transtar stuff, to be safe now, i let it dry over night.
    don't worry it probably will be fine.

18. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Thanks for letting me know that! I'll definitely wait overnight now.
    I'm glad I only did it on stuff that will be hard to see- frame, engine, trans. I'd be really mad if I have adhesion issues on the body.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. someone may chime in that doesn't wait and has no problems but that is what i experienced............and it cost me.
    retouching those parts will be easy, the side of a jeepster, not so much.

20. That engine stand is a work of art as engine stands go. I'm used to a couple of old tires and a 2X4.:cool:

phantompjcoupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2

22. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Haha
    It works great to be honest!
    I have 2 engine stands(real ones) being used as a rotisserie right now for the frame so I could paint it.
    The frame will be back on its wheels this weekend, and the engine will go on one stand so I can put all my goodies on it

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Paint looks good in the pics.Altho,there`s that old saying"The hurrier I go,The behinde rI get".Love your Gear Vendors(?) OD doodad.That will make for some fun cruising.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As they said before, just reducer. I would have thought your only trouble would be getting it out of the gun. I think your gold ponyboy.

phantompjcoupe and gimpyshotrods like this.