Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Panther Automobile Company, New York

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tiger II, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tiger II

Tiger II

I have recently purchased a 1961 Panther. The car came with a brochure that shows the cars being built in Bedford Hills New York. I cannot find any information about these cars anywhere. To me it looks as if it could be Devin bodied. If anyone has one of these cars or has any information about them please share the info. Thank you.... 100_0982.JPG 100_0984.JPG

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

3. Tiger II

Tiger II

That is indeed the brochure I have. It has hand written message inside concerning becoming a dealer and other options. I have written forgotten fiberglass and hopefully they respond. This little car has no information on the internet. Hopefully someone here has had personal experience or knowledge. I appreciate any info or other search areas suggested.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If Geoff Hacker at Forgotten Fiberglass can't help, I doubt anyone else could. Gary

5. Tiger II

Tiger II

An update, member gnichols was correct in the fact that if Geoff Hacker could not help nobody could. I spoke with Mr Hacker, forgotten fiberglass, and he was able to provide the information I needed. This guy has a fiberglass library like no other. So thanks to gnichols and sancho for providing the information they have............... Ken

1927graham and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad to help. Have fun with your build. Gary

7. Hello...
    Hello....
    This is amazing!....I just searched Panther Automobiles on a whim....and to my shock and surprise I came upon your post. My name is Walter Haumaier, my father was Robert Haumaier Sr. he was the owner ,founder, and engineer of the Panther Automobile company. I remember the many stories my parents had told me about starting the company. I spent many an afternoon at my Dads shop on North Bedford Rd in Bedford Hills. I have asked my brother many times over the years where he thought the Panthers had gone. I have pictures of my mother sitting in the car you have when it was brand new in the shop!!..it was actually more of a pink color then,,lol....as far as the car is concerned it is a Devon body..my father had them custom designed and the cars were all hand built 100% by my father alone!..he was a world class engine builder and also had a 1938 Maserati that raced in the Indy 500,and also at Watkins Glen...the car was so fast they didn't want it to race at Watkins Glen for safety reasons and no other cars could keep up.....I'm sure between my brother and myself we can answer any questions you may have about the car and its history. We would be the end of your search for any connection to the car....looking forward to speaking to you about the Panther....and if you would ever consider selling it my brother and I would be beyond thrilled to purchase it.

Kind Regards,
    Walter Haumaier

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sha-Zamm! ...Yet another impossible interlude made possible by the irrepressible hand of the HAMB!
    Take note, Brothers... One more diction directed by the diabolical digit of destiny!

Apenaut, kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  9. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Yes, Panther was a company. The bodies were under license from Devin by Panther.

1927graham likes this.
  10. Tiger II

Tiger II

This is truly an unbelievable site. I am in contact with the Haumaier family now. A fantastic car that has been extremely difficult to find anything about has

11. Tiger II

Tiger II

This is truly an unbelievable site. I am in contact with the Haumaier family now. A fantastic car that has been extremely difficult to find anything about has now come full circle. I want to thank everyone here for their help. The power of the HAMB is amazing......... Ken

12. This is such a cool thread, amazing!!!

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Oh my goodness.Is there nothing the H.A.M.B. can`t do?Other than maybe find the "Holy Grail"?
    Of course,that has only been missing for about 2500 years.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. SR100

SR100

If the Holy Grail had four wheels and a flathead…

kidcampbell71, LostBoy and tfeverfred like this.
  15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The brochure mentions a 157 cubic inch V8 - anyone know what that might be from?

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

157 cu in translates as 2.5 liters. The only 2.5 liter V8 made at that time was the Daimler, from 1959 to 1969. I can't imagine where he would have gotten Daimler V8s. They made 20,000 of them so I suppose it was theoretically possible to buy them but why? The cost would be prohibitive and there were plenty of good V8s in the US for a fraction of the cost.

Later........ I'll be damned. I clicked on the link above, and they did use Daimler V8s. As to why and how I am still puzzled.

17. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I don't claim to know anything useful about Panther cars, but I know there was one around Loveland, Colorado around twenty years ago. Our British car club was gathered for the start of rally one Saturday morning when a Panther driver passed by on Highway 34, leaving us all wondering what we had just seen. Apparently our collection of little British roadsters caught his eye too. A few minutes later he circled back to look at the club's cars, and of course we were all thrilled to learn about the Panther he was driving. Sadly, I don't have any information about the owner, except a memory that he was a local, from Estes Park, Colorado, I think.

18. Tiger II

Tiger II

I have learned that the Daimler engine was not used and a 2.6 BMW engine and trans was the combo installed. The car in Colorado was forever thought of as the sole survivor. It now belongs to Ferrari of Denver, Colorado. With the car I have there are now 3 survivors........

kidcampbell71 and Sancho like this.
  19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I wondered about that. The brochure said 2.6 but the spec sheet was too fuzzy to make out. I still can't figure out why he bought a European V8 when he was surrounded by better American ones at a fraction of the cost.

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi SR100.Yep you`re right.would have been found a long time ago.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. Mark Millstein

Mark Millstein

Hi All, I bought a Panther back in the late 60s here in New York. I first saw it in the NY Auto show on display in 1962 in fact the picture here was in the directory I had. As I recall it was displayed in a corner near a staircase. While looking through a publication called BuyLines Press I found one for sale. I purchased it Just out of the City in Westchester I believe and drove it home to Brooklyn, NY.
    I had many stories about it and owned it for a few years.
    It had a 2.6 liter BMW V8 engine rated at 190 HP and a ZF 4 speed from a 502 BMW. The hood bulge seen in the hood was to clear the Carburator.The chassis was English MG or Austen Heally with Wire Wheels. It was very fast specs said it weighed 1200 lbs .
    Mine had a Roll Bar and a soft top "side curtains" (plexi-glas with sliding windows), very hard to use particularly with the Roll Bar. It was British Racing Green black interior with Alfa Romeo bucket seats same as the ones in an 1959 Guletta I had owned.
    When I advertised it For Sale a Guy from the BMW Club drove to Brooklyn from Delaware to see it (not to Buy it).
    More stories and History, Email or post.
    Mark