Register now to get rid of these ads!

Behind a pile of motors, in between some Buicks, and under some tin, Model A find....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hah, thanks guys.

2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Not much to update... but here's where were at. I've been ripping around town in the car a couple of days a week. It is pretty reliable, starts easy, and cruises well. I was having some trouble keeping water in the radiator as it was coming out through the spout as well as the overflow tube. I made a catch bottle and we added some solder to the spout opening to allow us to file it flat, letting the cap seal. Around town there wasn't much issue, but I attempted a 125 mile trip down to Tucson and only made it about halfway before giving up on roadside fixes.... left the car with a friend and trailered it back home after the event in Tucson. I took the car out last weekend and the primary carb ended up in a bad way so I pulled it apart and we cleaned it out, looked like it had gotten some water inside. Just got done putting everything back together and am going to take it out and see how it goes. Here's a short video of the car sitting in the back bay, I fired it up and gave it a few revs just for shits and giggles. Hopefully I can get some half decent "on the road" footage soon, everything we've shot so far has been pretty much crap. I'll work on that.

Attached Files:

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Today is a great day. Legal.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, RICH B, Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

cool beans! Great job..

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D NOW,go drive the wheels off that rascal.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Decided to do something kind of silly. I signed up for the No Fly Zone 1/2 mile speed trials at the Gila Bend Airport. The event is pretty much all exotic and hopped up new cars. We were really out of place. There were some sideways looks and a few stinkeyes as we rolled in. Turns out we were a crowd favorite and all eyes were on us as we made a handful of 100mph passes, best of which was 105.5mph!

Attached Files:

Lepus, landseaandair, Tim and 5 others like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

HO LEE CRAP, that is remarkable. Great find and save.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I also know where that place is and Id love to wonder thru there....I know there are a lot of Buick. I found the place back in the 80s and would take photos thru the fence. Until the screen went up. It not all the well hidden if you know where to look. Nick, kool little hot rod just like it is

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Nice to see the valley Auto car on wheels again. It sit in my back yard for a few years

11. That's awesome! I had no idea that they did speed trials in Gila Bend! I used to live in Yuma and would pass through Gila Bend pretty often. How often do they put on the trials? Well done hitting triple digits!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Cool. Did you build a roll bar for it? Is the tech pretty strict?

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh ya, he built a roll bar....

20161007_213407.jpg

14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

The event I ran is not and official speed trial, more of an open test and tune. They put it on a few times a year. I really don't want to draw much attention to the tech. It was a sheet I printed at home and filled out at my kitchen table. Not that safety is lacking at these events but most of the cars running this deal are things like Lamborghinis, twin turbo Corvettes that blow the tires off in every gear for a half mile, Vipers.... let's just say we stuck out like a sore thumb. I did get in contact with Tony at Omega Motorsports, it's basically his show, a couple of weeks before Bonneville just to see about running the car. He had some concerns about the tires and that I put at least a three point belt in the car. The roll bar got a little bit out of hand; what started out on paper as a shoulder bar to mount a harness turned into... well, just check out the pics. It ended up being a bit tall because it turns out I'm not that good at geometry and tape measuring and such. But son of a bitch if that stick of goofy looking tubing didn't change the whole feel of the car. It's 1.750" x .095" 4130 in case you're wondering. I could ramble on and on about stiffer and handles better and all that, but it drives down the road and sideways around corners much better now. My feeling is that short of building a cage out of some two plus inch water pipe, we pretty much ended up with the "right" bar for the car. I drove the car 75 miles out to Gila Bend, made 7 passes, 75 miles home, and only had a little bit of a radiator leak on the way home. Here's a couple of pics and a video shared with me by one of the firemen staffed at the event in case of emergency.

Attached Files:

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice. So I guess a little wheel spin is fine, just no burnouts?

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

It basically goes like this, cruise down the taxi way and get in line, when you're next up a dude will wave you up and hold you just before the runway, the pic above with the Camaro was taken at this spot, when it's your turn you're welcome to do a burnout before making the turn onto the runway and lining up. It's actually 1/2 mile plus about 350 or so feet, with a 66 foot speed trap at the half mile and just over 1/2 mile to stop.

volvobrynk and Chucky like this.
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Awesome car- congrats! Be safe/ Have fun

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Here's another video, this one shot by the starter, or flag man if you will.

19. Clevername

Clevername

Nice! Sounds great!

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Been out cruising and acting like a hipster this afternoon. Downtown is dead on the weekends and you can pretty much rip around like you own the place.

Attached Files:

21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Here's some more pictures from the No Fly Zone event, they just released their photos from the event today.

Attached Files:

22. saltracer219

saltracer219

If you get a chance read the book Hot Rod by Brock Yates. It's about a car called the eliminator built and raced by Duffy Livingstone. He got a lot of those looks also

23. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered a copy last night. Amazon says it'll be here sometime between the 4th and 30th.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great thread! Read the whole thing - like the car and your plans for it.

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the updates and so glad to see you driving the wheels off the car and enjoying it! I would love to be standing nearby and hear that old Olds go by singing at 105 mph......... Waaay cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Awesome weekend here in Phoenix. You could've had your pick of events at all corners of the Valley of the Sun, but there is one that is a 'must go' if you're a land speed/history fan. Al Esenbaugh of the #36 "half a Hemi" lakester and half of the famous Steineggar & Esenbaugh Top Fuel dragster team puts on an annual car show/fundraiser that is not to be missed. Top notch cars on display, a handful of blown nitro diggers, as well many well known "local hero's". I got to the show a bit late, didn't officially 'enter' the show, and was on my way to the car, keys in hand when along comes Paula Roth. Some of you may know her as the pilot of a pretty sweet little FED or the big cheese of the annualTucson Dragway Reunion. She's a rad lady... Anyhow, Paula was looking for a car to present the "Paula's Pick" trophy to... I really had to head home and get the yard mowed but when hot rod royalty wants you to stick around, then you stick around! Had this been any other show I would have likely declined politely and headed home to cut the grass, but it's pretty awesome to have the car selected.

Attached Files:

27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I missed a couple of the pics last post...

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. YJ4000

YJ4000

That's really cool to get the award.

Ryan.

29. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

We had our annual Thanksgiving Day cruise from downtown Phoenix to the top of South Mountain yesterday. There were over 40 cars along for the ride. Here is a 60 minute video... I stuck a gopro to the windshield and hit record. It's mostly boring but we do let em rip in a few places.

Attached Files:

30. Mart

Mart

Looks like a very pleasant drive - nice for you to wring it out a bit on the windy road. The motor sounds really sweet.