Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 49 Merc dilemma - to chop or not to chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52brezelfenster, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 52brezelfenster

52brezelfenster

Hi There,

I wanted to run this past some folks here on the message board for a second opinion.

I've got an uncut 49 Merc 2 door sitting in the garage.

I'm at the point where I'm either going to have mine chopped, or sell it "uncut" to someone that appreciates it as is, and just buy another car with the roof already done (think the Townsend Custom's look).

The purist in me has some hesitation cutting up a 2 door that's survived this long.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
    Dustin

2. ChefMike

ChefMike

I wouldn't chop it but you know how that goes ten people say no 20 will say yes

3. Otto

Otto

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Depends on your funding and how much of the work if any you can do yourself. complete chops with glass and moldings installed is gonna be expensive. on the other hand guys with chopped Merc's are not giving them away for chump change...

5. verde742

verde742

I thought, By Now, :oops: they have ALL been CUT,, surprised me...:eek:

volvobrynk and pecker head like this.
  6. I have Had 3 .............2 door Merc which I have Sold I drove them for awhile
    and then Got rid of them.
    I have had my 50 4 door which was Great for My Family
    and had a lot of Guy's that wanted to Chop it
    & I would Not let them Do it
    I have had a Sleeper with this Car for a Lot of Years
    the First engine Change was a 57 Olds J2 back in the Day
    the Second was a Stroked Flathead & the Last engine is the
    327/300 that is in it Now!
    I just had my Front seat Redone, the Car is a Mild Custom
    & I am going to Drive it & listen to all the Comments about what Color
    I am going to Paint.
    I Painted Flat Black 3 years ago.

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home!

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  7. pecker head

pecker head

8. BJR

BJR

I would build it and drive it awhile and then decide if I wanted to chop it or not. After driving it awhile you may find you don't want it chopped.

9. Stand out from the crowd and drive an un-chopped Mercury. I just personally like them un-chopped. I think they came looking good right out of the factory.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Do not cut ........ if you choose to sell, your audience of buyers will be larger.
    Buyers who will not cut and buyers who will want to cut is your audience.
    The choice is theirs.

11. Maybe, but the scope of overall buyers may be less. The opinions here, on this thread indicate both scenarios are wanted ..... chopped and unchopped.

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

13. The unchopped Rebel Without a Cause Mercury is one of my all time favorite cars just for it's simplicity.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you lower it and don't chop it it sort of has a sectioned look.
    Pretty cool.
    I say NO to the chop, especially if it's a nice original car.
    Plus, tall folks don't like chopped cars.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty sure the OP does not intend to chop it and then sell it. He wants to decide if he should chop it and finish it for himself, or sell it unchopped and buy one that's already been chopped. He has no intention of building and keeping an unchopped car, or chopping his current car to sell it.

That's really going to depend on how much you'd have to pay for the already cut car. If there's one out there and the price is right and the work is done really nice, it could be a way to go. I'd be very scared of buying someone else's already cut car that has paint/upholstery on it unless they have really clear build pics. A poorly chopped car might look good but have lots of mud in it or poorly welded seams which can come back to haunt you and might take more work to fix than starting from scratch.

On the other hand, if you would have to pay someone to do the work on your car, that can run into the many thousands, and you might be better off just buying one done to your taste.

To really answer your question, you need to know the current value of your car, you need a propsective chopped Merc to compare it to, and we'd need to know how much of the work you could do yourself. That'll be the tell.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you are set on owning a chopped Merc, then sell the one you have and buy one that has been - the expense and likely very long waiting period to have work completed by a reliable top notch bodyman can be overwhelming. you might talk to local shops that have chopped cars for customers and may get a lead on a good abandoned chopped project or finished one for sale

17. wicarnut likes this.
  18. If you have your heart set on a chopped Merc, you will probably be dollars ahead if you buy one already done. The hard part is finding one that is finished the way you would build it for yourself. Mine is chopped, and I wouldn't change a thing on it.

19. A Boner

A Boner

There are so many chopped, I thought they came that way from the factory!

wicarnut likes this.
  20. IMG_0016.JPG
    No....but they should have.

wicarnut likes this.
  21. I guess I'm in the not cool Merc crowd....:( Ya,Right........ MERCURY 6+++.jpg

DougO68 and wicarnut like this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

Not Chopped, but to each their own.
    015.JPG

DougO68 and wicarnut like this.
  23. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

I love chopped Mercs but I agree with the unchopped crowd on this post. Find one chopped with the look that you like. That way you know what the result is gonna be.

24. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chopped gets my vote! Jeff Neppls car is chopped just right. I agree with the earlier post, it needs to be done right. Don't need another hack job ruined merc with a 9" chop

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

And here I thought this was the fucking HAMB... Chop that bastard and come hang out with the hoodlums !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. You can really stand out with no chop and black walls.........MIND BLOWN

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Aussiepete. and wicarnut like this.
  27. 52brezelfenster

52brezelfenster

Thank you to everyone that's posted in this thread. Very helpful information. I've got some decisions to make. Love the pictures both stock and chopped. Both killer looks.