Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T86 3 spd floor shifter?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aaron Franck, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

I'm building a '29 Fordor, '49-'53 flathead powered, pre-'55 period correct rod. I have a T86-R10 overdrive that came behind one of my flatheads that is in good shape and I would like to use it in this build. The problem, finding a floor shifter or model that was built before 1955. Can someone tell me what make and model of shifter I should be looking for? Thanks.

2. 37StudeDictator

37StudeDictator

The T-90 floor shifter out of a Studebaker M-series pickup or Willys Jeep will fit. The top cover of the T-86 has 6 bolts, as does the T-90 shifter. The holes do not always line up exactly. When I did my conversion I had to open up a couple of the holes to get all 6 bolts in.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  3. Canuck

Canuck

Your building for a time that a lot of rodders were upgrading their floor shift cars to the newer column shift style. Could be different and challenging.

Not quite what you are shooting for, my Mdl A
    upload_2016-10-17_21-37-49.png

Give you a lot more room without the stick shift and E-brake.

Canuck

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The T-90 shift forks & 86 case need a bit of clearance work, too.
    Commercial conversions to floor shift are still a few years away in '55, but you could build one from '49 up Ford column shift parts. Rodding & Restyling mag has a how-to article late '58 or early '59 - it's appeared on here before ...

Regorod36 and stillrunners like this.

5. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

With the OD trans, you will have to modify one of the shifting forks. A mod will have to be made to actuate the reverse lock out rod. There were aftermarket shifter kits of OD trans made but very hard to find. Hope this helps. LHud

6. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

Great info. Didn't know the T-90 was pre-'55. Good to know. Could I machine the hump in the OD case instead of the shifting forks? What mod to reverse lockout needs done? Been thinking about the floor from column shift parts, I've read that article. It's the aftermarket shifters I'm really leaning toward. Does anyone know a brand or maker? Foxcraft, Ansen, etc...pre-'55? Hurst started in '58.

7. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

After researching the T90/T86 swap, I'm thinking that's the way to go. T90 gears and shifter in a T86 case. Has anyone here done this swap? And what about this "reverse lock out rod"?

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you can remember to pull the OD cable out before you back up, you'll be fine. Chevrolet OD equipped cars had a mechanical disengagement, can't recall on the Warners.

9. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

When you take the top off the trans., you can observe how the reverse fork actuates the reverse lock out rod. If I remember correctly, you will have to add some material to the fork of the top shifter to actuate the rod. I don't know who made the aftermarket shifters. Do a search here on the Hamb. I remember someone made their own and put up pics. here on the board. Good luck. LHud

10. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

Has anyone done a tutorial on the t90/t86 swap? Or does anyone have pictures and detailed information on doing this swap? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck