Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical About Selling Used Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Old Codger ....... Good thinking on your approach.

2. Thanks for the insight, Porknbeaner.

3. Good advice and thanks!

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For various reasons the most convenient way for me to pay would be by a Walmart gift card. They can be bought in any amount and used at any Walmart. Have suggested this to sellers but never had one agree to take it and I can't figure out why.

So, if I offered to buy parts from you , say $25 - $200 or so, and pay with a Walmart gift card, that you could spend at any Walmart, take to Walmart and check if it was good before you sent the parts, would you go for the deal? If not why not?

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  5. Let's hope the badguys you have dealt with are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

6. What does the pen do, what shows up on the bill ?

7. It's an option, but my funds received from you can only be used @ Wal-Mart.

8. A lot of thought and info, thanks a lot.

9. A good daughter !

10. WOW ! Great philosophy.

11. I see you have a '55 in your avatar.
    I'm mostly into '51 Chevy stuff, or 235 parts, but do have a '56 Chevy 3:55 non posi pumpkin, and a 1959 Chevy stick tranny, 3 speed with o.d., which I plan to sell.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  12. Thanks, interesting comments for me.

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Never had a problem. Can get it checked out before you ship the item to the buyer. Common sense plays a roll.

14. Post #1 asks about the money aspect. Something I'll add is communication is important.
    When the buyer says payment is sent, answer right away that you're getting the item ready to ship. Thank them! The shipper I use offers $100 insurance as a standard. It's cheap to bump this up for more costly stuff. Peace of mind for both people.
    When payment arrives, thank them and assure that the part is shipping asap. Then get it to the shipper.
    Send a tracking # when you do. Thank them again. Lets them know you're together and concerned about doing things right.
    You'll know by email the item was delivered, if the buyer doesn't email in a day or two, follow up with ''just making sure you're happy with the part''.
    Like 'Beaner says, established members here are the safest bet.

bobg1951chevy and upspirate like this.
  15. carbking

carbking

Rusty - no, I would NOT take a wal-mart card; as I avoid wal-mart if at all possible.

But from you, I would take a check!

Jon.

gimpyshotrods and bobg1951chevy like this.
  16. When I read all the replies, I see a lot of "hands on" experience with selling parts. Thanks !
    Being that my collection of parts to be sold is small, by comparison, I will do the following.
    I will accept money orders as my primary source of payment, will then ship part immediately.
    Checks will be accepted, but will need to clear, before shipping part.
    Maybe Pay Pal, as a third choice.
    Thanks to all, your valuable information is certainly appreciated.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The problem is if you live in Canada, it cost $13 minimum to buy an International Postal Money Order. This may not be a big deal on a $500 item but it is if you are buying something for $20 bucks.

I can get a Walmart gift card, in US dollars, and pay no premium. Doesn't everybody shop at Walmart? I'm not talking about $1000 here, I am talking about a $20 to $100 deal.

If you don't like Walmart I can go to Sears, McDonald's.

This is for the sellers who don't want Paypal.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Never have. Never will.

47ragtop likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

For the gift card thing, if I was accepting it as payment, I'd have to go to the store and have them scan it and make sure there was something on it before I could sell the parts. It'd be easy for someone to send you a blank card, or one with $5 on it instead of $500

If I was sending it as payment, I have no recourse if I get screwed. Paypal will hold a seller's balls to the fire if they don't make good on a deal, and a USPS postal money order is mail fraud if it's counterfeit. I would be very wary of someone wanting a gift card as payment, unless I know them personally, then it'd be fine I guess.

For the OP, you mention you're selling 235 parts, if they are heavy items, like blocks or heads, transmissions, ect, Craigslist or a local Facebook buy/sell page will probably serve you better than eBay, as shipping will kill most potential eBay sales on heavy items. Carbs, intakes, distributors, valve covers and such would be fine though.

Only list on eBay what you are willing to crate and ship to the buyer without their involvement. Asking for "local pickup only" often ends in buyers who do not follow through.

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Does one file a dispute with PP or E-bay? PP is just the escrow account and should have nothing to do except the transfer of funds on the behalf of E-bay.

Goes back to my earlier post, I think if one uses PP direct for money transfer, its a lot harder to dispute because you would have had direct contact with the seller in order to get contact/account info. E-bay Can have no direct contact between buyer and seller and you are taking E-bays word for the transaction.
    Side note--- USPMO I believe only go up to $1000.

21. Joe H

Joe H

I wouldn't take Wal-mart either, hate the place, it's destroreing the local home town stores.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

I know I wouldn't take a Walmart gift card. That place is a shit hole.

Flathead Dave and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've been buying and selling from down here for many years, PayPal has always worked for me. Distance has lots of disadvantages for us folks NOT living in the continental US. Cash would be good but not safe. Don't even think of money orders as they are untraceable. Postal orders for me are like surface (Snail mail) and incur additional time and unnecessary costs slowing the delivery down.

24. phat rat

phat rat

I look at Paypal as an advantage for the seller also. I'm not stuck waiting for someone to decide to send the money off by snail mail. I know right away I have the money and it's sold. I know there are stories about sellers being shafted. In order to somewhat be protected against that I have a separate account just for Paypal transactions and when the money is deposited there I immediately transfer it to another account. Therefore there is never any money there for Paypal to put a hold on.

25. Sell????? what's that, just start a shedsburg in the backyard :). Paypal is good for honest buyers, bad for sellers. Postal money order or cashiers check from a MAJOR bank and wait until it clears to send the parts.

That said, I'm always pleasantly surprised of the people here and on the Fordbarn for their honesty and willingness to take a personal check and send the parts before the check even gets there......you guys RULE.

Seriously, I have to sell some parts someday or the girlfriend is going to have fun at my end.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Rusty, don't take it personal, but not everyone loves Walmart (or is a Costco or Starbucks "groupie"). I personally hate Walmart and can't stand navigating through the store. Very slim on employees, huge lines and once past the loss-leader items, I've found most of their items aren't priced that competitively. This is not to mention they've squeezed out most of the small, independent shops in town. I personally avoid shopping there at all costs.

I think most folks that are selling parts want to sell it for cash (money order, Paypal), not trade for gift cards that they have to go find something to spend it on (then hypothetically, 'pay myself back' in cash).

The M/O cost to the buyer in reality is a "cost" of doing your shopping on line or living remote. It's not unlike the cost you would have to incur by driving 50+ miles to a car swap meet, etc.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    47ragtop and olscrounger like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

28. racer_dave

racer_dave

yes they can through PayPal and PayPal will be more attentive to the buyer than the seller.

29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have reservations about using Paypal, your potential buyers will have reservations about buying the parts and will eventually source their parts elsewhere.

Taking Paypal has allowed me to sell cars, engines, and parts to 6 continents (I haven't been successful at the Antarctica hot rodding scene yet.) Had I not had Paypal as an option, may sales would be minimal.

It's all about conveinence. I even take my Square Trade reader to swap meets allowing me to take credit cards with certainty. That too has increased sales. Bottom line, use Paypal.

bobg1951chevy and Squablow like this.
  30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A lot of us hate Walmart and never go inside of one. Walmart is very "UNAMERICAN" as most of their garbage is NOT "MADE IN AMERICA". I personally will not trade for a gift card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.