Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford Standard Coupe Survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Apr 26, 2016.

1. agshelby

agshelby

It is a stock 40 spring that I had reversed locally.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I was shaking my head all the way through this thread. Just awesome. Now all we have to figure out is how to get you to upload the smell. I want to sit in it, close my eyes and just breath in all the good old car smell.

3. agshelby

agshelby

It does have a strong old car smell. Fortunately West Texas is dry and there is no moisture rot or mildew.

The car runs so smooth that you can't tell it's running from the drivers seat. There literally is no vibration.

Check out this video - I balanced a quarter on its edge and ran the car - revved it up and at idle. The quarter doesn't move at all. The sound is distorted in the cell phone recording. The loud clicking is the generator, and in person it is really quiet.

4. agshelby

agshelby

Took a few more photos yesterday. I'm still working in the carb adjustment. It runs fine at idle but bogging down under load. Looking for a good reference for the original Holley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. Bogging under load could be fuel delivery... Fuel pump might not be giving enough fuel pressure.

6. agshelby

agshelby

I found that I have a vent issue, and I also adjusted the carb. It seems better - going to do some hill climbing tonight to make sure.

7. agshelby

agshelby

The pedals have been cover d since new with some 1" extenders. I popped them off for a photo - no wear at all.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Sweet!!
    The floor mat looks great also!

9. 1952 F-1

1952 F-1

It looks like when the late fuel pump was installed, someone couldn't find the right fittings to put the fuel hose back in place between the steel line at the firewall clamp and the fuel pump inlet. I can't tell if they added onto the steel line, or just stretched out some bends to make it fit. I would put that back the way it's supposed to be rather than take a chance on cracking the steel line. Another thing that can cause fuel starvation is a partially clogged sediment bowl screen, if it's still in there. Does anyone remember the CAE axles for these old Fords?

10. agshelby

agshelby

The line is cut under the toe board and a plastic fuel filter was inserted, along with a short rubber connector. There are a few things like this that I am slowly replacing as I clean up the car. The previous owner was more into keeping the car running that being correct - so items like the fuel pump (he had an electric one) and the filter will be replaced soon.

I adjusted the carbs and the car is running great so far. I gave it a good bath and polish today and removed a few pounds of west Texas red dirt. It's cleaning up pretty good -with the exception of the passenger running board. The rubber is rotten and flaking off when I drive the car. Oh well, real "patina" I guess. The bumpers had been spray bombed silver for some reason. I removed that with steel wool and polished it all up with never-dull. The car is very presentable now - clean and just a bit tatty.

11. agshelby

agshelby

Cleaned out 60+ years West Texas red dirt today. Looking pretty good - I'm happy with the results. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I'd say that car is PERFECT!

47ragtop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes check the rubber fuel line from the hard line to fuel pump. Even the new repos are known to be junk and suck closed. I had one made after trying two repos.

14. 1952 F-1

1952 F-1

Here's the fuel line setup and stained door panel on a '47 Coupe that I owned for over 3o years. I left the stains alone. MVC-317S.JPG MVC-325S.JPG

15. e z i

e z i

What a nice car! My 48 kinda has the same story as your car, and I did about the same " improvements" to it. Perfect.

16. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

17. agshelby

agshelby

Behind the seat shot. I am surprised at the low quality cardboard type material used by Ford in 1940. Thankfully it's in perfect shape with this car. I'd bet there are very few that made it 76 years in this condition.

[​IMG]

18. This car just gets better and better!!
    Survivors RULE!

19. Love those oil change stickers in the door jamb. Don't ever scrape those off.

i.rant and Tony Martino like this.
  20. that is one solid car here and a nice snag, i would say ..

21. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Great find and a great job making it yours.

22. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Most excellent!

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

nice 40! i just lucked into one from a friend, been sitting since 57. noy as nice as yours but nice! congrats!

24. agshelby

agshelby

This car is very nice and solid, really too nice to mess up or to drive the way I'd like. I am going to advertise it for sale (or trade for a 32/34 coupe or an early pickup) and will look for someone who wants to preserve it. I haven't advertised it due to not knowing the value. Im not looking for a huge profit, but also don't want to give it away at a low price to someone who will flip it for profit.

Look at for the ad - and pm me if your serious about the car.

25. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

real nice,plus it's a standard

26. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

27. agshelby

agshelby

28. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Beautiful car. It's hard to beat a std.

29. graysgarage

graysgarage
    from central IL

Awesome car....I recently found one about like it in black. My story is very similar!!! WIERD .... Original paint 23472 miles with a V8 60.... I am the 3rd owner. We need to talk.....

Attached Files:

30. agshelby

agshelby

Here is a shot of the dealer added passenger stop light from the underside:

[​IMG]

And the factory tail light mount on the drivers side.

[​IMG]