Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2016 Banger Meet - Great Pumpkin Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , talked to TROG , race rain or not . turn you stacks & scoops around & cya there

2. Just got back from lunch at "Peez-mo".. Bright and sunny with high Cirris. Looks like maybe a shower tomorrow and Sunday. Good Idea to check the TROG website for parking and shuttle. If you think you want to drive up and park near the venue, better try at 2 or 3 am in the morning. At that, you might not be able to park.

3. I found this Riley at Hershey this year. The seller picked it up at an estate sale and had no info on it. I have been in contact with a few people and am finding out more each day but is there anyone here who might have a blueprint or diagram for milling this? Hard to believe these were sold with no paper work. It appears to be a George Butler casting. And no it is NOT FOR SALE. 4 port 4.jpg

4. Jerry Hurt

Jerry Hurt

I have drawings for the head, rocker boxes, rockers, valve covers and intake manifold. I have machined two (2) Riley casting sets. I don't have drawings for two (2) of the castings. Jerry

tomkelly88 likes this.
  5. Jerry, sent you a PM

tomkelly88 likes this.
  6. Happy Halloween ! And here is a banger I picked up at a closing shop - they didn't know much about it as it had been sitting a while...it was free and looked so much like my 9N-2N-8N tractor motor and maybe not so much like my model A motor...any way loaded it up......really thinking this is a 40/41 truck motor - any takers ? Pulled the bell housing which I want to show y'all....later. Really think this kind of motor could help us.....

Attached Files:

7. Nice early Carter BB1 on that as well- great find!

8. thanks Mac....the flywheel is really thin like what folks are trying to cut a stock A down to...also has the later Ford pressure plate bolt holes.....need to get that bell housing - it looks like the 1939 trans is a bolt on....

Dannerr likes this.
  9. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

I have just purchased a aluminum fly wheel from specialty cams its drilled for 9'' or 10'' V8 clutch is there advantage to one over rotating mass / clamping pressure wise iv been running a 10'' on lightened A flywheel but have a 9 kicking around as well

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

been there & done that & got the "T" shirt . race of gentlemen was really cool . seen things I never knew existed . lots of cars & motorcycles . 1912 complete running INDIAN ! lots of HD flat heads . it was cool !!! rain / high tide / soft sand / but they did run sat afternoon . STATE OF CA. shut it down sunday for unsafe cond. car & bike show instead . 1936 motor home with flat v8 in the rear ..... totally cool .
    just lots of cars / bikes / etc. to me it was a good time ! I heard that the N.J. people were user unfriendly but I talked with a n.j. girl that was most pleasant . meet a girl in a cool willys car . she was as cool as the car . hope they come back ................... steve

Dannerr likes this.
  11. B diamond block with a Winfield head. A studs? B studs with th 2 longer ones at the pump mount? All the same stuff?

12. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Youngrodder I have used both 9 + 10 on Alu flywheels both work well never slipped and the weight difference was not enough for me to worry about on a street engine as it was already pretty light

Dannerr likes this.
  13. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

cool thanks for the info !

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called Burts and he dug out a couple shorter ones he substituted for the long water outlet studs on a C head if I understand your post
    Get the chrome-moly ones
    A Winfield head should use the longer studs for the water outlet
    You need to block off the steam holes in the block for an A head on a B block
    Check how the fire ring hits/fits on the head combustion chamber

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Dannerr likes this.
  15. Isn't the A water outlet studs longer than the B/C?? all the other studs are the same size? So a set of A wouls be appropriate for a Model B block and A head?

16. Jim, that's correct.

17. I had a blast showing off and Racing my Banger at T.R.O.G.WEST! I could not stop smiling!
    They made me the poster child! (To me it's like getting my picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone Magazine!) Notice my new Avatar! I'm not usually one for changes but I could not resist!
    [​IMG]

T-roaster, Dannerr, ebtm3 and 5 others like this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

your a "love the attention" person . but you have a great car !!

anyone local (Yuba city / saramento) going to Roseville speedway tomorrow ?

19. Yeah, That's why I built the car the way it is!:cool: I even caught the attention of the camera crew who did an interview and documentary on me and my car! My starter died and it was on! (They had me pinned!) They asked what happened and what I was gonna do, I sent one of my crew off to grab my spare starter The guy in the tux said my day was done, "wrong" (He didn't know I knew Bobby Green!) I ran across the track and out to the Hemming's News truck and talked to Bobby,(Thank god he was my bud!) he went over there and had everyone get outta our way and had me push started by hand he was even pushing it too! after that, they were putting GoPro cameras all over my car and seemed to make me their primary subject! They even followed me to my camp and wanted to provide lighting and film me swapping gears and checking spark plugs and possibly changing out my jets! but the Race was canceled so I told them I wasn't going to be doing anything until I got her home! No reason to chance opening anything up with sand everywhere and working in the cold while wet, if there wasn't gonna be a race the next day! I would have done it though, if Sunday was still on!
    (EVEN IF IT RAINED HARDER!!!)
    That camera crew was from Los Angeles.
    I'm not sure, but I recall someone was saying they was from Hard Core TV.
    I have their contact info and when they're done editing all my bad language they will air it!
    I'm sure there will be a lots of beeping! Ha Ha I forgot they had a GoPro pointing at my face!
    It was an EPIC weekend!!!!
    Joe

Dannerr and The37Kid like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

OMG now your head is to big , lucky you have a roadster ! congrats joe . you had one of the great experience .........

ghornbostel, tomkelly88 and fourd like this.
  21. Thanks, I guess I'll need to sell the 34 5 window coupe now cause the chop is way to low!:cool:
    plus the car is to big for a banger! I know some came with them but it just wouldn't look right!

22. Perhaps you should REALLY take the whole car and running gear apart. It's not the sand..It's the SALT! There is more salt in that sand, than in the ocean. Your machine is corroding as we speak.
    I had a small fleet of delivery trucks. One was quickly disintegrating with rust. I found too late that one of my employees had taken that vehicle down on that beach. And you cannot simply was it off. As a matter of fact; when you wash a vehicle it drives salt into inaccessible areas.

530sandman likes this.
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

warm water will work to get the salt .

24. Reminds me of that Muroc dust, course it wasn't corrosive but seemed like we would find more each time we cleaned it. Guy at a station in Lancaster thought we had painted the tires.
    I was in a segment of Speed Vision several years ago at the Good Guys at the Fairplex in Pomona cause we were a "Top Ten" winner, got a nice jacket and they edited quite a bit but it was on national TV, even sent me a copy! Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, but they sure did !!
    We got two invites to the "Gas Up" in Buellton while at Muroc but they both said " If you don't bring your car don't bother to show up!"

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    stillrunners and hotrodA like this.
  25. I hope to prove you wrong, in a far and very distant future, @530sandman.

530sandman likes this.
  26. Thanks for the advice!
    I hear what you're saying! I've been Racing and Riding my O/T Quad Racer. In the sand on the Beaches of Coos Bay! My car was built from almost nothing so everything was blasted to clean metal and all the running gear is powder coated including the backing plates! The body was built from the panels up! I used good Epoxy primer before putting the body together! (I Did all new Rivets too!)
    When I got home, I took the floors and seat out, then vacuumed everything before I even put water over it! I have a water softener just for washing my cars! (Well Water) I used high volume low pressure to clean it!
    I used Meguiar's Boat wash Gel! I scrubbed every inch with a micro fiber mitt and brush! Before I left, I sprayed the springs and any bare metal on the brakes with Gibbs spray! (Except for drum surface and shoes of-coarse!)
    My car doesn't sit around! I drive it at-least 100 to 200 miles a week!
    I really do feel bad for a lot of the cars that were there (in bare metal or in need of patch panels) with rust-out holes! Especially the real 32 Roadsters!!!!! I was thinking if they don't take it all apart and blast, repair all rust areas with new metal, then seal her up with good epoxy! and if the owner keeps taking her out in the sand in that condition, in a few years they won't have any good metal left to weld/repair the body!
    I've been sandblasting since the late 80's (Rust is the enemy!)
    Thanks again for the good advise!
    Joe

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  27. Don't think I'm not tempted! (To run a banger) If she was a Roadster or even maybe a 3window! I would be running a Banger for sure! To me a 5 window is big and would look best with a flat-head!
    I will be running a 1937 21 Stud with Original Cyclone heads, that have the water returns coming out the center! (one year only) With a Scot blower! I'm gonna build it like my Banger on the lower-end!
    Joe

Dannerr likes this.
  28. Scott F.

Scott F.

So I found this neat model A head tonight and took a chance on it. It is an F2 MF head. There is surface rust in the compustion chambers and a crack right over the piston in one cylinder. Any thoughts about if the crack could be fixed or is trying to fix a crack in one of these futile?

Attached Files:

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

most anything can be fixed if you find the right person to do it

Dannerr likes this.
  30. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

clutch.jpg finished mounting the Volvo clutch assembly to my model a flywheel.I set up and machined both the outside and inside of the flywheel to lighten but still ended up around 45lbs.Not sure how guys get down into the 30s and still have something that's safe.

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.