Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler industrial engines in cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Nov 4, 2014.

1. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

They put them in Tatra's. Soviet cars.

Attached Files:

2. Yep, some Dodge trucks got Dodge engines, bigger Dodge trucks got Chrysler 331 or 354 engines.

Chrysler did manufacture an air-cooled v-12 (Continental engine design) that was used in a tank, I saw one once with "Chrysler' cast into each of the rocker covers, pretty cool!

3. Tatra is Czech and designed their own engines

4. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Sorry, got my Communist countries confused. :)

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Always happy to learn something new. Today I learned Tatra engines were made by Chrysler and so were air cooled V12 tank engines and airplane engines.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Planes, yo.

lemondana and 41 coupe like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've seen pics of the airplane engine before. I thought it was finished and tested but never reached production. Because a) ww2 was winding down and b) the jet engines were coming in

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I touched it. It exists. It was made.

9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

All the Irrigation hemis around here were setup for Propane, not sure what the changes were inside.

10. gatz

gatz

I have a 331 that was an irrigation engine. There isn't anything stamped in the front under the valley cover. This one has numbers stamped on the front left (driver's) side of the block.
    It has the bump style valve covers, but there were new hydraulic lifters with it when I bought it.
    There weren't any adjustable solid lifters with it; so I don't know if was originally equipped that way.

It's my understanding that the industrial engines for irrigation or generator use had a different cam than car or truck engines, and are not suitable for truck/car use.
    Fortunately, the engine I got had a new cam with it.

There was no vacuum advance on the distributor; in fact there was no opening/slot for putting one on.
    And I'm guessing the mechanical advance was different too. I had tried an Accel electronic set-up, but tossed that idea and instead went with a stock SB Mopar unit from NAPA.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It is very common to find Chrysler Marine and Industrial covers with bumps for adjustable rockers, but no adjustable rockers under them. It probably made sense to just make all of them the same for each production run so that engines that needed the bumps would have them.

The Chrysler XIV-2220 was a liquid-cooled inverted V-16 intended for aircraft.

The A57 Multibank was a liquid-cooled 30-cylinder 5-bank radial engine installed in tanks. It was actually five 250ci flathead Chrysler sixes mated around a planetary gearbox.

12. Nothing special for propane except the carb. Industrials in general same same

13. Many propane engines were built with hardened exhaust valve seat inserts (no lead fuel)