Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Kurten Dual Coil, dual point ignition

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hugh Jones, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone have any information they can share on this type of dual point ignition? Looking for specs., or mechanical information. (books, articles, tech sheets, or operational manuals)

2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm no expert but I do have a Jim kurten Lincoln v-12 converted to v-8. Duel coil what do you need help with. Do you have one ? Or just heard about them????

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

- Appreciate all the info, seems like your an expert to me ... I have one on my 30 Ford Flat Head. It's worked perfect for 2 years, and have always been curious about getting information on the history and how it operates.
    - These documents are exactly what I was looking for. - Thanks Again.

4. Your welcome, I would love to see yours on your motor. As far as the Lincoln v-12 conversions jim kurten only made like 58 of them so rare they are. He took the Spaulding brothers under his wing and basically taught them everything about ignitions and after the war he went on to other things in life and let the spauldings take over his ideas. If I remember right mr. Kurten went to work in the army or navy and worked on airplane engines and that's where he got the idea of using aircraft magneto points. He took what he learned from high rpm. Aircraft engines and put the knowledge to early ford ignitions. I just wish the kids of today would think like that America would still be strong... There is a hamb member named Michelle who got to hang out and interview mr. Kurten when he was like 91 and she put it here on the ham

302GMC likes this.

5. Do a search on Jim kurten I'm sure you can still find it.

6. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds good, i will do that.
    As for a pic., I will take some shots and post them this week. Would like to hear of your opinion after you see it.

7. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'd like to see the cap modification on the 59A style Kurtin, as I have parts of several dual coil 59's and there are several different ways of providing the pickup ring for the extra coil. This is a very interesting type of conversion as it doesn't require rephasing or any special plastic bits. The various conversions and fragments I have show no labels and have no real provenance...

11. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would refer to paintslinger 805 as he has much more knowledge on these coils, mine was with my motor when I bought it and it's been a couple years since I have had the cap off plus the location is really hard to take a photo

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app