Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Everything but the kitchen sink.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, Oct 8, 2016.

1. fastfish70

fastfish70

No pictures but I Used garage door handles and bracket to make a 90 degree bell crank for my predator carb.

2. Roger53

Roger53

Damned cool use of the old gray matter. Roger

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In the old slot car racing days, the top winners in the drags used these larger motors, Pittman DC85. Stock, the big motors were fast, but in order to be considered for top eliminator in your class, modifications had to be done to win. The main thing was to re-wrap the copper wires around the motors with larger diameter wires, but less footage of wire. Then to keep the wires from frying on the line when the electricity was applied, we had to put on clear epoxy all around the spinning armature wires. This kept the motor from exploding when all of the power was turned on to the strip. Some of our motors did not make it off the line because they would just explode from either bad wire windings, or bad epoxy coating, or not enough epoxy coatings. It was one or the other.

People started to buy German bearings to replace the stock molded brass bearing housing. That improved the speeds. I was able to get some super high speed bearings that fit inside a dentist’s drill that spun at 250k per second. This made a world of difference in speed. Plus, the true 250k per second, bearings actually fit in the stock Pittman DC85 holes and made little to no sound. It made our motors super-fast…The bearings were expensive, but dentists always threw away used bearings and replaced them with new, better ones as their technology expanded. So, free is better than high costs. When I was asked about the bearings, I just replied, “Go see your dentist two times a year as prescribed”…ha!

Jnaki

fastfish70 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-12-17_3-57-9.png upload_2016-12-17_3-57-20.png
    Hello,

When I purchased the 1965 Chevy El Camino, it had the standard air shocks in the rear to raise the bed for heavier loads. For us, it was two 250cc Greeves Motocross racing bikes, tools, gas, ramp, etc. When we loaded the stuff before we made it to the gas station a few blocks away, the El Camino looked like a gasser. The rear shocks without air just squashed down and the front pointed into the air. When we put the air in the shocks, it made the bed level and the car was drivable again. We were relying on the inaccurate gas station air hoses to figure out how much air to put in the shocks that made us try to find a better solution.

I purchased this air gauge with a “T” fitting on the back that would fit under the shelf and the air valve/cap was still attached through the shelf with its silver cap. Now, the gauge below the shelf read the exact amount of air being put into the shocks. No more guessing. No, back then we did not carry around one of those pen air gauges.

When I sold the El Camino with 125k on it to buy the 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, the new owner did not want that gauge. So, I have kept that gauge in my tool drawer for 51 years, waiting for some future use. I almost installed it on an older air compressor that did not have a gauge in the garage. There are some newer gauges on the market, today, but they are for the air bag groups. upload_2016-12-17_4-1-38.png I am sure anyone could attach a “t” fitting onto the back of the newer ones and have the same style gauge as back in 1965.

Jnaki
    Fun times in the desert, going to those long Hare and Hound races. It was a challenge (the 1966 Greeves bike that I purchased later was called a Challenger) to ride the bike up the narrow ramp of the El Camino with the rear bed stuck up in the air after each long race in the desert.

5. Found 36" chrome copper water supply lines (3/8") at Ace Hdware to slide over the ss allthread (5/16") I used for steady rods, cowl to radiator.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were in our early 1960, 40 Willys building stage, we thought we could start a business. After all of our minute details in building the SBC, we thought we could have a successful business out of our converted backyard garage. We took out a door and a row of windows to put in a big garage door. There was a nice 10 x 15 concrete area just outside this new garage door, It was not the modern day garage set up, but large enough to roll the car inside to work on it during a rainy period. Also, when the newly installed garage door was open, we had a canvas tarp stretched out to my mom’s metal, in-ground, laundry poles to create a shaded structure for more outside room during those sunny days. My brother and I set up this business in order to get dealer cost on all racing equipment for our build. Did I mention that there was an endless supply of a free sandwiches and cokes delivery service thanks to our mom? Yes!

We were doing quite well and started a business called “Precision Racing Engines,” a name we had printed on cards to hand out at the local drive ins, Lions, and car shows. We were true backyard hot rodders. We sent our cards with a nicely written letter explaining what we do in our business. In return, most manufacturers gave us discounts for parts. We did not know about resale taxes or profit margins as we bought and sold parts to friends and customers. The more we sold, the better our “rep” with the industry. We did not make a profit except for discounts on our own parts.

One of our friends wanted to customize his Buick Riviera. We convinced him that a set of 5 spoke American Racing Equipment Torque Thrust Wheels would make his car stand out anywhere. So, we made a deal for an old balsa wood surfboard for the 4 Torque thrust wheels. This car was a cruiser and would look cool with the racing wheels. I told him that I could get a set of wheels for the trade and a drive in his car after the wheels were on it.

Finally, we got an “official” resale number and that allowed us to be a “real” engine building/garage speed shop. We even had some business cards made up and that helped with our mail orders from out of our local/state suppliers. (making inquiries in a typed letter form plus our business card) our resale number was sent to them if we ordered something, later. Our first official order of business was this American mag purchase.

We had a dealer purchase order number for our old racing company. It saved us a bundle. We used to get drag racing sales people knock on our front door to try and sell us the latest in new products. My Mom kept asking why those people kept coming to our door. We had the whole "rumpus room/garage" set up as a hot rod building facility. Chain winch supported on the cross beams, old drive in speakers for a portable radio and a flip top record player, and several work benches. Even a gas welding set was set up for the garage. It was a fancy name for a garage specialty hot rod shop. We were supposed to be listed in the first SEMA ( then, Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association) booklet. Now, the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association…we liked the old name better) is a huge convention for all hot rod specialty custom parts and manufacturers. But, it started with small hot rod garages like ours.

The trade was for an old Jacobs 9'6" balsawood surfboard he had in his garage under a bunch of boxes. It was in great condition and was worth some money, at least equal to the wheel set. I went to Moon Equipment and bought a set of 4 American Racing Co. Torque Thrust wheels for this Riviera. After we installed the rims and tires, cruising was outstanding. The surfboard? I tried riding it, but it did not turn as sharply as my then more modern, foam board. So, I gave it to my brother and he kept it in the rafters until he moved to Santa Barbara. Today, that original balsawood board it quite valuable, but the last time I saw it, it was hanging on a wall on display.

Jnaki upload_2017-1-11_3-40-23.png
    As a comparison, in those early days, the wheels were worth more than the old wooden surfboard. Today, the wooden balsa wood surfboard is worth twice (if not more) as much as the wheels.
    upload_2017-1-11_3-41-5.png upload_2017-1-11_3-41-26.png upload_2017-1-11_3-41-42.png

dana barlow likes this.
  7. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Years ago a buddy of mine was working in a plumbing supply house. He built a progressive linkage system for his 3 carb, nail head Buick. By using mainly toilet valve and sink parts, he came up with a smooth operating, adjustable setup. It was mainly constructed of copper and brass but looked impressive when polished up.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There three things in this pic of my V8Y-powered 28A,overflow is SS lunchbox thermos, and homemade 4x2 intake was mostly a old driveshaft cut up. Fuel log was part of a stainless steel chair box rail. I've updated my rad an fan a few years back. Still driving it ,was my highschool hotrod in 1959 n on. 038.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Here is something to cover your shift mechanism.....1937 Electrolux vacuum IMG_0162.JPG

1947knuck, Jeff34, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Dude, that sucks! Get it? Electrolux? Vacuum? Sucks? Never mind.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  11. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Lol yeah, not all things that suck are bad aye.....

grifcarnut likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[​IMG]

13. Got my coupe back together and I am tired of the oil spot coming from the vent on the flathead. So I looked around the garage and thought this old Veedol promo bank might be the right size!:rolleyes: IMG_9985.JPG IMG_9987.JPG
    IMG_9988.JPG IMG_9990.JPG
    IMG_9995.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  14. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Pretty cool but one question....btw, am not a flathead guy so may be a dumb one, can you case properly breath/vent with that can in place?

15. Yes it does not block the opening.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

I've thought of re-purposing one of these old discharged Pyrene fire extinguishers for my overflow since I have one laying around.

1947knuck and jnaki like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-4_10-5-3.png upload_2017-3-4_10-5-16.png
    Hello,

When we were setting up our second backyard garage from our old rumpus room, we had already taken out some windows and the front doors. Now, a full size lifting garage door was in place. We started setting up the newly formed backyard garage with tools, benches, and our new gas welding set. The loose bottles were always strapped to the inside wall of the garage, so they would not fall over. The hoses stretched out to the concrete pad. But, when we needed to move the bottles outside beyond the reach of the extended hoses, we rolled each one to the spot to start cutting or welding. That got to be a hassle real fast.

So, we “borrowed” my mom’s trash can, carry out, dolly for moving the two acetylene welding tanks around. We told my mom that she needed a new one as the old one had a bent single axle. Now, we had a rolling cart that made moving the heavy tanks anywhere. We put a metal strap from one side rail to a hook on the other. It looked similar to the other photo, but did not have the neat center, bottle clamp, screw attachment. When our strap was pulled over and hooked onto the other side, the tanks were well secured.

We had to go to the famous Dooley’s Hardware Store to get my mom a new, bright red, hand cart for the trash cans. Back in those days, we pilfered a lot of stuff lying around our yard and garage. Thanks, Mom.

Jnaki

Pilfering started with the lawnmower motor…for our doodlebug and kart.

18. 3340