Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Mature" H.A.M.B. Folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 6, 2016.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

Saw on a cable TV show about So-Cal speed shop and interviews with new owner/partner Pete Chaperis (spelling?), He stated that when he's cruising down the road in his Hot Rod, He's not looking through his 60+ years old eyes anymore, He's back to a happy time in his past and reliving it, when he cruise's. Thinking this applies to alot of us "Mature" Hambers, can't speak for all of you, BUT I often wonder who's the Old Fart in the mirror, the pictures with my cars and family, I Do agree with him on the cruising deal, Them "Old Cars" keep me young at heart and I "Give Er" now and then, Still makes me Tickle, So All is Good ! 68 going on 25, and grateful for every day.

2. I worked at my "real job" for 35 years, retired at age 56.
    I've been retired for 18 years now, am hoping I can stay happily retired for more years than what I worked ....and still know who I am.

3. Henry Bennett

Henry Bennett

I, am 69 and still having fun.

4. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

DSCN0923.JPG Today was my 72nd birthday which I spent on my Triumph Bonneville on a 180 mile round trip from Albuquerque to Grants NM on old Rt. 66. Beautiful day, took a picnic lunch which I shared with a stray dog in McCarty's at the old church. Great day, hope to have many more.[]

I went drag racing on my 79th birthday. Sorry, no dogs allowed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  5. Need pics of the dog please.:)

6. Wow. Now that's a beautiful scene right there. That's big sky country for sure. (Nice bike)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

She was camera shy..........

8. Happy Birthday! Blue Moon... I know the feeling, there is nothing like hitting the road by yourself on a motorcycle. This is even more true when you have no destination or time restraints. I am a little envious of your location though. It takes me a couple of hours just to get away from the congestion (madness) before I can truly enjoy the ride.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

What kind of dog?

10. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

What color was it?

11. Great to see there are so many animal lovers on H.A.M.B. !
    My 2 rescues are not only my pets, but are my family.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

We have 4 dogs and a cat, all of which were adopted from our county's animal control department a few years ago. The cat is now 14 and the dogs are 8, 9, 10 and 11. This is Dixie whom we adopted on 7-7-07. We went in there looking for a puppy and she was a pretty big one at 6-7 months old. Many of the other dogs were barking and growling at us but she wasn't so we took her home with us. They said she had been there a month and they were getting ready to transfer her to another shelter where she would be put down after a week. She ran awkwardly and could barely climb a set of steps which told us she didn't get to run around outside much. After a few days in our fenced-in one acre back yard running around with the other dogs she was back to normal and has been a great pet ever side. Sorry to sidetrack this thread but since the OP made a comment about his rescued dogs I figured it would be OK. The next time anyone needs a dog please consider adopting one from your local shelter....

IMG_0139.jpg

Deuces, vetteguy402, LSGUN and 8 others like this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

We have a very rare dog...Navajo Pointer. I.e. Rescued on the Rez image.jpeg IN people years, she's almost as old as some HAMB'ers!

14. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

62 yrs old. Still working, turning wrenches

I believe it is the mileage on the body that slows us down, not the age.

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I believe it is the mileage on the body that slows us down, not the age "

I think there is a big difference between highway miles as opposed to a lot of stop and go. Personally, I never rode the brake and that is why I'm pretty well worn out. Not tired type of worn out but parts worn out.

My ortho guy sends me Christmas cards for helping put his 3 kids through college.

Deuces, AHotRod, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

oh I hear you... thru dual hearing aids. My first Lower Lumbar MRI in 2011.. the doc read off the report on L1 thru L5 & S1. Total of 13 small damaged or bulging disc areas, stenosis too. So I asked him: is that why my back aches, left leg is numb and when my bladder is full my left foot hurts? He said: "Yes"

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It definitely the mileage, crash damage, and repair jobs.

wicarnut, deucemac and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. johnc451

johnc451

Shocking to realize sometimes (when I really think about it) that I am 71. But when the balance sheet is considered, all the good stuff greatly outweighs the bad. Got some of those pains, wrinkles and sags but like my buddy Jeff always says--"I am on the right side of the grass!" Life is good.

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Know the feeling about waking up in the morning.Some days,it sounds like a Rice Krispy Kids commercial.Snap,Crackle and Pop.Then there`s other days,that I swear that my hair even hurts.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. Just turned 79 and all I do anymore is look and listen. The '40 Ford coupe is the finest automobile Ford ever produced and the sound of a 85hp flathead Ford V-8 AND a 270c.i. 'Offy' are the two sweetest sounding engines ever bolted together.

22. johnc451

johnc451

Old age---That post hit the memory chip! I grew up on Long Island not too far from Freeport stadium where stock cars and midgets were a Friday night tradition. During the day Friday my cronies and I would grab our bikes and tour all the local gas stations where we knew these jewels were being tweeked for the evenings competition. We hung around until the tuning took place. At the stadium later it was a symphony. The sound of an Offy is food for the soul!

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

This has been enlightening and entertaining for me, and I'm only 60.
    God Bless each and everyone of you !

LOU WELLS, wicarnut and bobg1951chevy like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here, and my OEM parts are 46, with aftermarket 1-15 years old.

25. 32owner

32owner

66 and havin funnnnnn

LOU WELLS and bobg1951chevy like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well? It happened, birthday today and I made 74. Lovely wife is 61?!!??! Looks 40.
    I took her with me to a 'Ford Lover's' house 30 miles North of here, a Craigslist ad I left was answered by this gent.
    He called and asked if I found the intake I was looking for...I said no, and he offered me a nice Performer 390 to fit my new 406. He said he had other parts...
    I bought the intake, (basement cheap!) and he showed me a set of CRANE adjustable rockers, and a N.O.S. pan.
    He also had heads, C8H's, one had separated a 2 piece exhaust valve, took out a piston, crank, rod, and broke cam in 3 pieces. Heads also have nearly new Crane springs. retainers, and dampers...
    Head is just scratched at the edge of the seat, no real damage...Lovely wife said it was too close to my birthday for her to not buy everything offered!
    Engine will go into my '54 Ford COUPE! (front sump pan fits perfectly)

Today I ordered my 406 cam and mechanical lifters from DELTA CAMS, in Oregon. I'll also be sending my Weber F1 cam for my flathead, worn .006" undersize at 2 main journals. They will metal spray and grind back to Std. (cheap!)
    Guys, look up their site, and read everything. Super reasonable, Quality Control is unmatched. Tutorials are there for the watching!

27. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

What kind of dog?

I can see another ride is in the cards! Can't guarantee the dog will still be there, may have to rustle up a substitute. Heading for San Diego for reunion with old ship's crew next week but will be back on the Triumph when I return.

28. Just making it "OFFICIAL" from an earlier post. Turned 62 on Tuesday...
    Just another day. Working till I drop....

29. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

63 and still known as "Stud Muffin". OK I made that last part up, but 63 is correct.

wicarnut likes this.
  30. I presume we all know that this is about PHYSICALLY mature? If it was about emotionally or mentally mature I doubt we could have found 11 pages of candidates.

Gray Ford and Asphalt Angel like this.