Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know what happend to the "Alazan"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TSKieffer, May 4, 2008.

1. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Anyone know what happend to the "Alazan"?

It was owned by Howard Mitchell from Glen Ellyn, IL and made the Chicago show circuit in the early sixties.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Can't help you, but that thing had the coolest engine ever.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Bitchin coupe, hopefully some of the Illinois boys can help you out...it'd be neat to see it now...

4. Bobsportcar

Bobsportcar
    from California

My Dad owned it in the mid 60's when we lived in Chicago.He has past away,he sold it around 1966 or 7.i don't know from there.it came with about 200 trophy's.

kidcampbell71 and EVL401 like this.

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful!

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I've never seen the car in person, but recall an article in HRM back when. That was, without a doubt, the busiest looking engine ever put together.

Hope you're able to secure the information you're looking for

dj

7. barry hanners

barry hanners
    from louisiana

I owned the alazan in
    colorado springs about 1973, sold locally and had a smallblock in it the last time I saw it. It was back on the road about then hope you find more info. Barry

8. showrod

showrod

Growing up near lagrange park where Howard Mitchell and the Alazan where from I always wondered what happened to it myself. could it be languishing in a garage in the area?
    years later I learned it travelled to Colorodo and lost its crazy engine and now looks like a streetrod with a 350/350 combo the biggest identification remaining is the slotted sunvisor and chrome undersides to the fenders.
    Hopefully someday someone will love it enough to put it back to its early self.

9. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

It was a Lincoln engine and had more pipes than a church organ, I remember it in both chopped and stock version, would love to paint my coupe Alazan Red. hope it's found and put back in it's original version

10. showrod

showrod

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You have got to be fucking kidding me............ugh!!!

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. John Denich

John Denich

I seriously hate people...FUCK!

13. jipp

jipp

i guess thats the street rod version.. the original looks boss.. never seen it before.. any picture of the original engine.. looks quite neat to stair at for long periods of time. :)
    chris.

14. primed34

primed34

What he said.:eek:

15. I'm with you Skip! Those were my exact words when I saw that picture. Some peoples taste is all in their mouth. It looks like every other 80's streetrod now.

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Wow!!!! that can't be the same car..........it's amazing how things can go all wrong when they are in the wrong hands

17. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

what a shame...

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

I remember the magazine coverage back in the '60s. An awesome car. Nice to see it is still around. From what I can see in that picture it was not altered much. The fact it was "updated" years ago could be the reason it has survived. If the present owner has any desire to restore it to it's former glory he has a lot to work with.

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

That 'recent' photo was obviously taken in the 80's, judging by the "Business in front, party in the back" mullet in the background, as well as the terrible graphics.

There's got to be more to the story. Where is this thing now? Was it treated with the typical 90's easter egg theme, rid of all it's former glory and renamed "Tweety Bird"?

Some people deserve a swift kick to the nuts.

Last pic, it was in Oct 1961 issue...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    kidcampbell71 and EVL401 like this.
  20. Someone Please tell me that hideous red thing with graphix has had a makeover since. :eek:
    Its upset my evening harmony, and now i want to hurt something.

Kroombit likes this.
  21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, some fool sure ruined that car.

There is so much reflection off the engine in the original car, I can't even tell what I'm looking at in the photos. What kind of motor is it? Looks maybe like a blown something. Is it that motor on the cover of HR above? Air cleaners are different orientations. Is the block and everything chromed. Wonder if they took it out to photograph it and sadly it never went back in.

I doubt that crazy abominable snowman fur carpeting survived either, especially on the pedals. Looks like a black interior in the 80's Fruit Loop version.

And good luck redoing all that chrome again. That alone will set somebody back a mountain of cash.

Nice to see a car without a deuce shell on it for once. Hard to believe anymore people use to use something other back in the day.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  22. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

where can i get one of those "scoops"?

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Unfortunately, like many other 40's to 60's Hot Rods, it was "updated for the better" in the modern street Rod era.

While I'd love to see this car restored to its former glory, it would be a tall/expensive order to purchase the car, then tear it all apart and re-do everything. As Stude said, the chroming would really set a guy back many thousands. The best candidate would be someone who owns a chrome shop!

I wonder how much of the original chassis components are left? Probably the complete drivetrain was replaced as well as the steering and brakes. Maybe the drilled axle and bones at the least survived? Then again, the body may have been dropped on a new TCI chassis back in the 80's.

Probably cheaper to build a clone from scratch.

25. Holy HELL, that's fuzzy!
    [​IMG]

Would love to see a really good pic of the engine. Mech. fuel injection???
    Somebody probably thought they were doing the world a favor by "preserving" the car with the blown Chevy in it...

gggholson likes this.
  26. Strange that this post would pop back up today. I was driving around today and thinking about this car. Don't know what prompted me to think about it but I kept thinking about those chrome plated fenders underneath and what it might cost to do that today if you could even find fenders good enough to plate the undersides. As I recall the Lincoln engine had a lot of small individual pipes in the theory that a bunch of the smaller sized pipes would make more horsepower than a large intake footprint. Supposed to make a better venturi signal I guess.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. paladin138

paladin138
    from dewey,ok

Saw it a few times in Colorado Springs in a gas station on bijou st. just west of I25. Was going to stop and see if it was for sale but never did.

28. showrod

showrod

heres some more Alazan memorabilia [​IMG]

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. NCGarage

NCGarage

alazan.jpg
    I have owned Alazan for Years here in Colorado

30. Welcome to the Hamb.