Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How low on original 36 frame?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ty johnson, Oct 11, 2016.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

Looking at buying a 36 Ford truck. It's on the original frame. How low can you get down with using it?

Attached Files:

2. oldolds

oldolds

If you use the right combination of parts you can make it so low that the grill and fenders will drag on the ground. My question is why would you want it so low? You can make most cars so low they are not able to be driven.

3. Things need modified to get lower.
    Once that modification threshold is crossed the possibilities are endless. Once your thru that you decide how low and if you're in for a penny your in for a pound.
    You can get only get an inch or two with silly stuff before the factory wish bones become the limiting factor.
    The torque tube rear drive becomes the next issue.
    The large dip cross members are the next.
    Then the frame needs clearanced for the axles.
    Just a bit more and it's dragging the ground.

4. ty johnson

ty johnson

I just like them low as possible. And still be driver friendly

michael knight likes this.

5. A 36 does not need to be extreme to look good. Take a look at @Jeems or @Roothawgs trucks as fine examples

hotcoupe likes this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Here is a stock height 36 with tall tires for a place to begin lowering.... HAGERMAN 2016 034.JPG

Roger53 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. e z i

e z i

here's my old '37. dropped axle, reverse eye springs, some leafs removed. On the right bump, the front wish bone would kiss the frame... my phone 1157.jpg

8. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my daily. 4inch I beam, reverse eye front spring. Parallel leaf rear with a 2 inch block. It will scrape the chin sometimes, but I don't give a shit.

[​IMG]

That is a good looking little truck you are looking at. You are a girl if you don't buy it.

-Abone.

Roger53, kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more thing, you can also raise the front cross member area where the front leaf spring sits to get her down a little bit more. Be careful on that though, the more you raise the cross member, the closer your wishbones get to the bottom of the frame. Definitely doable though.

Buy it.

-Abone.

11. e z i

e z i

my phone 1011.jpg

12. rooman

rooman

DeucemanLtl was talking about the OP's truck which is the subject in question.
    And on that subject this is another of the recent rash of "what do I use" or how much can I" posts that have a multitude of answers that depend on a lot of unstated (by the OP) factors. The "What is a good axle for a 40/41 pickup" thread is another example.

Roo

13. How do you know?
    Since the op truck is a pretty clear side shot and there's no front on it why do you think someone might ask for a side and front shot? E z I 's truck shows a finished rear shot, pretty easy to see of all the pics here which is missing a front or side shot.

This is a perfect example of a continuing phenomenon here where folks don't read and think they are the only ones capable of congruent thinking. Masters of their skull sized kingdoms. Not many of us here jumped out of the womb knowing how to build a hot rod. this is place is where many take their first step.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Roger53, gimpyshotrods and albertaboy like this.
  14. rooman

rooman

Re: "How do you know?" Probably the fact that Lou Wells had posted a great side view more than 5 hours prior to DeucemanLtl's request. See, I did read. :)
    I also agree that many newbies come here looking for help but without some relevant info as to what they are trying to do it is a little hard to effectively assist them. Sure, I don't have nearly 17,000 posts on my resume but if you check through my 2000+ posts you should find that I do actually think before I use up bandwidth.
    Roo

15. The silver truck? The silver truck at stock height? Posted for reference as a place to begin ( lowering) That's the truck you're referring too ? Of course someone would ask for a side shot on a thread about lowered vehicles, since the request is directly following the rear shot of a lowered car.

I shall petition the administration here that all posts be vetted thru your scrutiny before making it to the board.

16. Have you ever heard the hoisting your own petard?

Shakespeare's phrase, "hoist with his own petard," is an idiom that means "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or "to fall into one's own trap", implying that one could be lifted (blown) upward by one's own bomb, or in other words, be foiled by one's own plan.

Here We have an excerpt from your bitch and moan thread. And here in this thread we have a perfect example of you doing exactly what you're bitching about.

Very carefully explain to us all how you "know" with such certainty what or whom dueceman was referring to if it was not E Z I and his rear shot? I do sense a bit of a corrupted hall monitor attitude in your post to EZ as to him being incorrect about the request of dueceman.

Roger53, Johnboy34 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  17. ty johnson

ty johnson

Some great responses from you guys. Picked it up last night

Attached Files:

albertaboy likes this.
  18. Roger53

Roger53

Glad you jumped in there it'll make great build. When ya get it started post it up . Roger

ty johnson likes this.