Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford trucks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rustyrods, Oct 11, 2016.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

AFTER READING ABOUT YOU GUYS AND YOUR 40 41 FORD TRUCKS I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND TO BUILD THIS ONE I JUST BOUGHT. I HAVE HAD OTHERS BUT THIS ONE IS TALKING TO ME. 1965 A FARM KID FROM IOWA STARTED ON THIS TRUCK . HE PUT A 265 CHEVY IN IT AND GOT IT TO RUN AND DRIVE BUT WAS CALLED TO SERVICE.HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE ARMY TO GO OFF TO VEITNAM. HATS OFF TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY, HE NEVER CAME BACK. THE TRUCK SAT IN A SHED TILL 2005 WHEN AN OLD GUY WAS ABLE TO BUY IT FROM THE KIDS BROTHER. THE OLD GUY LET IT SET TILL A MOUTH AGO WHEN I CAME ALONG. I MADE A DEAL , AFTER I GOT IT HOME AND STARTED LOOKING AT IT I THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE. I PLACED AN ADD ON THE HAMB WITH LITTLE RESPONSE. THIS WAS A GOOD THING. EVERYTIME I LOOK AT THAT OLD TRUCK I FEEL A NEED TO PUT IT BACK ON THE ROAD. I KNOW THE KID WOULD PROUD. IT'S TO TOUGH FOR A NICE RESTORE AND I'M NOT ABLE TO SUCH WORK BUT I KNOW IT WILL MAKE A COOL DRIVER. FROM WHAT I SAW ON THE BOARD THIS ONE WILL STAND TALL. LET THE WORK BEGIN. THANKS

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      211.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      211.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Good score!
    It looks better than mine! Sell it to me.

3. Beauty of a truck. Keep us posted...
    But, turn off the CAPS!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Jibs

Jibs

Cool, go for it.

5. Nice project, a great score.
    I'm sure in the end you will be glad it didn't sell.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. I saw that in the classifieds. You had a great price on it, but it looks like destiny is calling you. I look forward to seeing your work!

7. oldolds

oldolds

No need to restore that truck. Get it running with brakes and drive it!

8. exterminator

exterminator

Get it running and drive it. You will be glad you kept it!

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Best of luck with you truck project and it looks a lot better than what I am starting with.... CLASS REUNION 2016 (PA) 008.JPG

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  10. No kidding! Brakes, running small blocks are everywhere for Cheep and some fresh Glass. K.I.S.S. and Drive it!! You'll never regret it. If you start taking it apart just add 5 years to the project. More if your Married with kids and more if your a Working Stiff.
    The Wizzard

11. albertaboy

albertaboy

Not that your asking for opinion for what to do....If i could have found one the condition yours appears to be in, like another has said, I'd just getting running, replace the glass, clean up the interior, comfortable seat, get it safe to drive and just drive it. Regardless what you decide, it would be nice to see more of your truck. Thanks.

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like a great basis for a fun shop truck. As the others have said rebuild the brakes, replace the glass, rewire if needed, mount some new rubber and of course make yourself comfortable in a good seat and drive the wheels off it. Should be fun!

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice looking truck, drive the shit out of it!

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Like the rest,,,
    Get it running and drive the wheels off of it!!

15. Slopok

Slopok

Do it for the kid that started it so long ago, doesn't look to bad at all compared to with what most guys start out with.

albertaboy likes this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

Wish the two '41's I've had over the years had been that nice! Looks like an easy one.

17. studebaker46

studebaker46

As a Vietnam vet I hope you build it in the theme of 60s driver, I don't know anything about the young msn who started this truck but I do know he built this everyday in his head right up to the last day,make him proud. with that being said make it safe and add some of your touches too Tom

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

So?
    Got it running yet?

Keep workin'

Al
    Here's my first one coming out of the garage for first time... it went in one piece at a time!
    40caboutal.JPG
    And, yep, it was under own power!

19. albertaboy

albertaboy

That's an overwhelming response to just preserve this truck. The truck's story as told is pretty cool and stirs ones imagination. It's a true nostalgia truck. You don't owe the kid nothing but everybody chomping at the bit to hear your plans. More pictures would be great.

20. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Very cool project - get it road worthy and drive it .

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Repair it and drive it like it is !

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A poor picture but I did have some help with building that truck.:D
    AL&PAL.JPG

LOU WELLS and exterminator like this.
  23. Man, I'm diggin' it. I'd probably put a Posie's front spring in it, and a '40 passenger car spring in the back, an appropriate wheel and tire combo with some "rubber rake", and call it done.

If your seat is in bad shape, a Chrysler 3rd row seat fits great. Cut a plywood base for it, bolt it on (I propped up the front edge with a 2x4 laid flat, on the one I put in my stake truck), and set it in like a stock seat. You can do that for about $75.

24. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Nobody mentioned it, but that's a '39 Deluxe passenger car grill. Worth some serious cash. You could sell it and get the correct '40 grill for it--would fit better.

25. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

very cool , I like your help. I'll keep you posted on my progress. at this point it is all apart. Thanks

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^I look forward to the updates.

Keep workin'
    Al

27. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

keep it going !! nothing neater than a 40 41 pickup !! Brown_41b.jpg

LOU WELLS and exterminator like this.