Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bloody Mary on Ice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Thanks Dennis that is an awesome link. Some great pics of the old and new cars from Victoria.

2. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Still working away on the Mary......... Bloody Mary shop.JPG Bloody Mary working on it.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Chester's T in a car show early 60's Victoria B.C. Canada. Chester\'s T.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Whatever happened to Chester's T? There is a rumour that it is still in Victoria somewhere. Anybody know?

5. oldschool55

oldschool55

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg Part of the Ron Ford Collection in Vancouver, restored by Roy Brizio, now a V8-60

catdad49, 29bowtie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Wow, thanks Dennis!

7. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Two more old hot rods from the Victoria area in the sixties were the "el torro" a Oldsmobile powered channeled Model A roadster and the Orange Crate that was owned by H.A.M.B. member oldschool55 for a while I believe. Don't know where the Orange Crate is today but "el torro" has been restored and now lives in Qualicum Beach on the island. \'El Torro\'.jpg Orange Crate.jpg

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. oldschool55

oldschool55

9. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

"el torro" after restoration. el torro 2.jpg el torro.jpg

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The blue RP behind El Toro in the first photo at Clover Point is another local area survivor.
    hotrod6 (1).jpg

craig b blue, catdad49 and 29bowtie like this.
  13. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

"el torro" at a car show 2013. This is the car that got me hooked on hot rods for the rest of my life. I was around 16 years old at the time and Johnny drove it up my street. My lower jaw must have hit the ground when I seen it!! el torro.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    catdad49, falcongeorge and brad2v like this.
  14. oldschool55

oldschool55

Ian's roadster pickup is a clone of the one he had when living in Vancouver, but it is not the same car, (survivor)

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ooops! Didn't know that, I had heard locally (mainland) that it was the same truck.

16. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Well, the Bloody Mary made it out of the shop today and we took it for a drive. Everything seemed OK however there is still lots of work to do. Keith and the Mary.JPG out of the shop 2.JPG out of the shop 3.JPG out of the shop 4.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    29bowtie, falcongeorge and brad2v like this.
  17. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

The Blue roadster pick up was built by me in the mid 1960's. The show is at the PNE
    That blue roadster P.U. was called " Blue Jay". It was built by Ian in the mid 1960's. It was powered by a 394 Olds with a B&M Hydro. The picture was taken at the PNE in 1967. The group of cars is the B.C. Roadsters. Cam's tub is the yellow one. Ian has tried over the years to find his original R.P.U. It has to be out there in th B.C. mainland somewhere. Contact Ian if you have any info.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Good work, Keith and John! Those hubcaps are perfect! The Bloody Mary is back on the road after a lot of hard work.

falcongeorge likes this.
  19. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Thanks Steve, the spinner hubcaps will look better after he gets some wide whites on the car.

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. oldschool55

oldschool55

I'm glad to see the hood fitting much better, and the whitewalls will look great. Those hubcaps have now been on a couple of local chopped customs, here's how they will look with WW. hubcaps.jpg

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There's one 'R' in 'Toro'. (means 'bull') Why are there two Rs in 'Torro' on the car?

My bud Ramsay's cousin Marge was a notorious car striper and caricature painter in the '50s.
    (her last name was 'Toro') She got commissioned to paint a name and character on the sides of a Sanger hull drag boat. Fresh pearl white paint, Marge had a great 'canvas'...
    The name was "The Purple Rapier", so Marge drew a character out, looked like an ominous little character...he had toenails like a raccoon, big fat feet and legs. Short in stature, and held a male...well, like a large red-headed 'flashlight' in his hand...menacing...Coolest little nasty guy you ever saw.

The boat owner came to pay and get his boat...looked at the work and was FURIOUS!
    He said, "Where the f@@k's the sword???" Marge yelled back, "He's a RAPER! He doesn't use a sword..."
    God, I laughed...Rapier, Raper? Sounds like the 'logic' on here. Crying about 'spelling nazis'...
    Misspelling can bring consequences...

catdad49 and falcongeorge like this.
  22. don miller

don miller

Hey Dennis. on the topic of Vancouver area roadster pickups-do you know any history of Lenny McKay's first hot rod? Lenny bought it in about 1963, was medium blue, black fenders, black Chrysler wire wheels with Bruce pie crust slicks, white interior and running a 322 nailhead? I know the history of it after Lenny but not before-have been curious for years.

23. oldschool55

oldschool55

Don, I started a conversation with you, hopefully you got it, I was having a little trouble with it.

24. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Keith picked up a Cadillac engine today for a future installation in the Bloody Mary. Cadillac motor.JPG Cadillac engine.JPG

brad2v, oldsjoe and clunker like this.
  25. The lump we hauled back from Chilliwack, doesn't look much lighter than it did then. Did he get the transmission as well? There is a Wilcap Adapter to a TH350 in the classifieds that might fit. I have a good rebuilt 350 under my bench John.

26. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While at Deuce Days, I had the pleasure to meet Keith and John. They were very hospitable, invited us over to see his shop, have morning tea and a great look at the Bloody Mary. From the enthusiasm I could tell it would not be long before it would see the light of day again. Great to see it out. Thanks again for all you did to make us feel so welcome in your country. Looking forward seeing it in 3 years. Cheers, John & Dawn, USMERCUTE

27. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Hi Dawn and John, good to hear from you! It was a pleasure to meet you also, you meet some nice people in hotrodding. Thanks for the T shirts you sent us!! Cheers John Hot rod garage.JPG Hot rod garage 1.JPG

Attached Files:

28. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

John's Model A Ford Coupe at Deuce Days Victoria B.C. July 2016 from Williams, California John\'s Model A Coupe.jpg

catdad49 and oldsjoe like this.
  29. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Went with Keith today to pick up the Mary as it was in a shop getting a new trans tunnel made. Found some rusty gold there. I think it's a 31 Pontiac? Bloody Mary Mill Bay.JPG rusty gold.JPG rusty gold 1.JPG

WillyKJr, USMercUte and oldsjoe like this.
  30. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

The Bloody Mary's wheels got sandblasted, painted and some wide white porta-walls installed. The car is on jackstands because we are finishing off installing a new floor. port-a- walls.JPG wide whites.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    catdad49 and brad2v like this.