Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xppetey66, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Been a few years. I started with the vision of an early lakes car - bought up a few bits off a mate Tom, and he taught me a few things about the traditional way. Great learning curve as I didn't know what worked with what!

With help from Tom he found two contacts one for a roadster body and one for a coupster. So a country trip took me to check out both.

First one geographically was the coupster- it was dark, could hardly see it out side but I bought it.
    Then off to the roadster- better check it out just in case. Went through the bush, around 10pm now, low on fuel, low on phone battery, lost!
    Managed to text the owner and apolgised- I would go back later in the week and yep- grabbed a roadster body.

So 2 years ago handed some bits to lowsquire and he built the chassis. 32. Bought a few bits and had a roller. Had to scratch my head a bit and listen to the guys who knew something.

View attachment 3347347
    IMG_1476098527.789520.jpg

Not interested in tubular or off the shelf stuff. I wanted to build to a budget to see if it was possible. The price and availability of a 32 wishbone and axle were a no no so Spring in front for something 'different'.

With the vision- I would search day and night for inspiration. I didn't ever like what everyone else did. Didn't want just another. I always like the tall goofy look- a bit like myself! So offy headlight stands up high and the spring in front front end tickled me. But of course had to have a Duece grill.

Well I have a short attention span and always chew off more than i choose to finish eating/finishing- some mental problem I suffer. Have always liked pulling things apart to learn how they work but never put back together!

Yeah I'm self employed and make myself busy there. And yeah had two kids in the last 2 years. But the car won't finish itself.

I'm short with patience and time so I had the body steeled out so now the rest is up to me and maybe a mate helping out. Not too much to them just gotta get it sorted and dialled in!

IMG_1476099320.363423.jpg

Getting surface rust off after mocking it up to see what is what and that everything will work. Steering is my only pickle but I'll get to that.

IMG_1476099426.561805.jpg

I have changed a bit over the years of being into old cars used to like the big car shows since I was 13 or so but now it seems low key cruises are what I enjoy most and I'm happy with going to only a couple a year. The dream had always been build the car for the river city club run in Jan. I don't think I'll make it this year but I'm gonna try chip away.

I'll write soon! Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice start! Great chassis and looks like a solid body. Good luck and have fun

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. It's starting to look like a car already! Good on ya'! :D

4. nailed31

nailed31

5. Thanks guys! Trying to keep the motivation and momentum up! I work split shifts often and managed to get out in the garage for a few today. Cleaned up chassis more and got some paint. I'll clean the metal tonight and maybe put a coat of black on the frame. Wanting the make the chassis as neat as possible and will keep the body as is.
    IMG_1476174242.081096.jpg

ChuckleHead_Al likes this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looking Good! Keep it up!

7. Thanks binger!

Metal prepped the nooks and all- POR on tonight
    IMG_1476268138.984704.jpg

ChuckleHead_Al and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Looking great.Subscribe.

9. IMG_1476697414.472524.jpg

IMG_1476697450.247395.jpg

I used the poor mans sand blasters and wire brushed anything possible. Enjoying the journey which is the main thing- dust up my nose in my ears and on my eyes- very rewarding when I can eat my dinner of the steal!
    Put some paint on and looking good!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Watching. Subscribed

11. Keep up the good work.

12. IMG_1477567390.701722.jpg

Nice evening in the garage - been wiring brushing and painting and screwing around with spring- added a big one back in to stiffen the front. Also been playing with breaking apart a crusty steering box on the side.
    Always something to do in the garage when I have more than one project on the go (idiot).

Hope to do brakes next. Got a few small parts the other day so all coming together

ChuckleHead_Al and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

14. ChuckleHead_Al, JC55 and Jet96 like this.
  15. ChuckleHead_Al and slv63 like this.
  16. Well this is what the roadster is looking like at the moment. To be honest I listed both my cars to sell just a week or two ago. Having a bipolar moment of being over having projects that aren't driveable and the anxiety of it all.
    I have put partial covers on them to get out of my mind and thinking of where I can store them to not give me the frustration that they do.

17. Man it looks great. I'm a sucker for a spring-in-front front end! You are doing a helluva job!

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Don't sell it, build it.

slv63 and rod1 like this.
  19. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Now if I had that 5 window model 40 body lurking, i would sell the A...
    It... "could" be replaced...

xppetey66 likes this.
  21. 120mm

120mm
    from Iowa

Want. Very much want.

xppetey66 likes this.
  22. Thanks guys. Yes regret is a curse and things change. Where are those moth balls?

23. Great progress, keep at it

xppetey66 likes this.
  24. Nobey

Nobey

You've come a long way in a few short month, it looks great.....

25. The issue is the roadster has some sentimental value with help to put together with a mate. Blue coupe as much as more desirable doesn't have that. :)

26. Thanks Nobey. Yeah I did well for a bit there with getting sorted. I guess you get so close and the little things just eat at me.

The journey needs to be enjoyable and I guess... well the cars are covered up for being out of sight out of mind til I'm ready.

No patience is a curse.