Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hagerty vs Grundy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Would like to know how these two companies stack up, to HAMBers.
    I currently have my coverage with Hagerty, so here's the issue.
    Some background, regarding my request for comparison:
    One of my '51's was to be registered in N.C. this past Friday, after our move from GA.
    In order to "register" the car in N.C., I FIRST must have N.C. insurance, according to the N.C.D.M.V.
    Hagerty told me I must have a "N.C. registration" FIRST, before being issued N.C. insurance.
    Technically, I was stuck in the middle, with both above parties pointing their finger at the other.
    The N.C.D.M.V. agreed to issue my N.C. registration and plate, if I made contact with Hagerty right then and there, as I worked with the D.M.V. employee.
    I immediately called Hagerty, explained the above info from N.C.D.M.V.
    Hagerty would NOT change my policy from GA to N.C. because they stated they were suspending all new and "rewrite" policies, until the hurricane was deemed finished.
    Bottom line, no registration or plates were issued to me.
    Any insurance agents out there? Was this a valid approach ?
    My question ..... are you content with either Hagerty or Grundy for insurance on your HAMB influenced ride ?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. upspirate

upspirate

I sold my truck this week and the new owner also couldn't obtain ins because of the hurricane

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Grundy has no mileage limitations. Hagerty does. That enough for me.

Gary

i.rant, bobg1951chevy and loudbang like this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had Hagerty years ago. I switched to Grundy and have been happy with them. In the 15 years or so that I've been using them I've had a glass and a paint damage claim. In both cases they didn't argue and paid fairly.

bobg1951chevy and loudbang like this.

5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I vote for Grundy.

6. A search using each company's names, should bring up a few threads.
    There's many opinions, but I'll never forget the way Grundy treated the Hamber, who's 32 got stolen.

7. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

8. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Kiwijeff you are right Grundy did put the screw to the guy I think hamber name Lostturkey

kiwijeff and bobg1951chevy like this.
  9. exterminator

exterminator

Yes there was a post on how one of us really got messed up by Grundy.I will NEVER use them!

10. Thanks for that verification.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Grundy for me, but a friend who hit a deer in his 37 had Hagerty and they paid off very quickly. I think that like most companies there will always be a " done somebody wrong" story, but I go by the big picture and Grundy seems to fit for me.

lothiandon1940 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  12. Yeah it's gonna be ground zero for insurance folks..probably sending adjusters from across the country in to work storm hit regions..

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I've used Grundy for the last 15 years . I like the fact there is no mileage restriction.
    I've also had two claims which were settled promptly and more than fair money wise.

14. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

And there is always a 30 day wait for home owner's flood insurance to take effect. I think we all understand the logic behind these two insurance practices.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I use Hagerty. When mu '51 Ford was crushed by a tree, they paid up and allowed me to purchase the car fairly. And, being in Michigan, we. both as client and business, know the insurance laws here.

16. Hagerty (according to my agent) gives you 20 personal trips per year in your car. However, they don't ask for speedo readings or accounting for those personal trips so it is virtually wide open to driving. I've not had any claims so I can't say much about they're track record of payment. Tim

17. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Hagerty for years. Never heard of a mileage limitation.

Paul B, clunker and bobg1951chevy like this.
  18. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

I had Grundy for years they are great had one claim paid with no problems Rog Mn

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Grundy, had them for years, cost effective IMO and I know 1/2 dozen people through the years that had a claim and no problems, paid promptly with no hassle over amount $$$.

20. I currently have 4 cars with Haggerty and have been with them for about 15 years, no where in my policy does it show a mileage restriction or anything about "20 personal trips per year"

21. Me too. I went directly through Hagerty, specifically asked what the driving limitations were when I signed up, and the agent said there were none, just needed to be garaged. One car, two bikes and a sidecar, full coverage for less than $300 per year, drive 24/7.

22. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I've had several cars insured with Hagerty over the years including my current '60 Edsel and never heard of any type of mileage restrictions. They have never asked for an odometer reading when the car was first insured so how would they know how far it's been driven? My agent took some pics of the car and emailed me a couple of days later that they had no problem with the $20k appraisal and gave me an agreed value policy for that amount. I've never had to file a claim with them for anything (knock on wood) but hopefully there won't be a problem if the car is ever stolen or involved in an accident....

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have 4 cars insured with Grundy but when I wanted to insure my 32 builder pu they suddenly went cold. I had to go to Hagerty who flinched but went ahead and insured it for the amount I had in it after I provided documents to prove value. Funny thing the agent asked me if I intended to drive the truck and when I said I would be driving it 5-7 K a year he tacked on an additional fee. I will be moving over to Grundy when my expiration date comes up. Shortly after I paid Hagerty, Grundy contacted me and their underwriters had decided to accept my truck. I now have a 32 5 window project ready for the paint shop that needs coverage and I wondering which way to go as it seems Grundy is a bit reluctant to insure projects, never was that way before?

24. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Bad rock damage on my 34 during a local cruise. Grundy was a pleasure to work with. They had an adjuster at my house with in three days and cut a check quickly based on the estimate given by my body shop/painter.

25. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

26. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've found this to be the exact opposite. I have Hagerty and have over 10 years. I believe what we're all experiencing is based on the rep we talk to. Also I'd like to add any claims I've had with Hagerty were paid without hassle and the biggest claim I had ($16,000.) was handled the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

I can assure you Grundy has NO mileage limitations.

Gary

28. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I have been with Condon Skelly two years and are very happy with their rates, etc. I switched when Grundy dumped Joanne Lower who had pioneered them insuring modified cars in 2000..

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Havent made a claim yet, but my truck as of this May is insured via Grundy. I went with them due to lots of good reviews and the fact theyd take my photos and my valuation and not requiring a professional appraisal. my rate now is less than half state farm charged me, for 30k + higher coverage