Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project 61F100UNI WilDHair customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 4rod, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Could be a rear bumper....

2. 4rod

4rod

Definitely not rear bumper took it off cause it was a boat anchor...maybe off a later f150???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. junkers72

junkers72

The front of my 77 f150

4. 4rod

4rod

Yeap thought so... Well lookin for that too

5. 4rod

4rod

tomkelly88 likes this.
  6. 4rod

4rod

Things to do today...Got a line on a 65 front bumper sitin in a tow yard so pickin that up. Need rad hoses and run the hydraulic clutch line and then I can fire the engine

7. 4rod

4rod

8. 4rod

4rod

As Saturday drew to a close I ran up against three major issues before firing...
    First I had gotten my shocks for the front in and noticed I had ( after putting sheet metal on and front clip etc on, I had lost my 2 plus inches of clearance between the oil pan and axel...shocks dint help so I need to replace some of the removed leafs to compensate for the drop. I then got to thinking the spring pack was probably rated for the weight of the inline 6 not the 8 cylinder. Note to self. Leave pack together until all sheet metal and parts are back together before removing leafs.
    Second my clutch master was puking fluid all over from the back of the piston from petals. So need to rebuild that. Luckily a buddy had one already to swap. Lastly and probably the biggest issue is the radiator. It's got several pin holes so hopefully I can plug them with alumiseal. If not I'm gonna have to fork out some dough to repair it. I do not have any leads on a rad in this area. Any hamb frendlies out there with a 8 cylinder rad for a 61-65 f100? So those are the things to work on today before firing.

9. 4rod

4rod

Undate on truck...ended up changing out clutch master and slave. Also got truck to fire. However took a while. The distrib was way off and I think I need to jet down the 600 holly. But it's running!!! I'll get a video up today. Oh also added two leafs back into the front springs. It gave me the clearance I needed not much but about an inch clearance between oil pan and axel. Lastly radiator is doing great after running engine and plunging with alumiseal

BIGREDTODD likes this.
  10. 4rod

4rod

Okay update
    Trucks on the road. Time to get to the body work. Will post progress as it is relevant

voodookustoms likes this.
  11. 4rod

4rod

Ha ha, maybe shouldn't share this on the hamb especially but truck was running crappy, after spending an hr adjusting carb etc...I found the dizzy was off a tooth. Hmm...novice move again

12. 4rod

4rod

Hey Todd
    Yeah! It does...I'm impressed with the ride actually, buy raising the steering box I was real surprised that there's no bump n steer...it is not as stiff as before, seems to float actually. Just tuning the carb now and getting the new power out of a 292! Sure beats an inline. Here's a short clip taking my girls out

voodookustoms, mctim64 and BIGREDTODD like this.
  13. 4rod

4rod

Running rough so
    I went ahead an took carb apart, found the jets were 68's. Little big huh? I had 62's and a new 6.5 power valve. That helped allot. I have a buddy that has jetted down as far a 54. What's your size you like to run for 292 y block. I live a 3600 ft to so not sure if that makes a difference

14. 4rod

4rod

Okay update, carb was jetted to high so went down to a 54 primary, seems to be better, taken a few rides and suspension is great. More updates to come

15. 4rod

4rod

Okay wow long Saturday. So truck was running real advanced. I checked dizzy again and saw I was again a tooth off. I took dizzy out and finally got in the sweet between #5 n #2. Then I notice the hold down bolt for the dizzy wasn't tightening, so dizzy came back out and I tapped the hole. Back now and running great, needless to say all that time messing with the carb was waisted cause I was a tooth off...all a great learning experience. Couple more things to do now, switch out automatic choke for a manual choke bracket and then start driving and tuning. Body work on hold till I get this thing on the road.

16. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Great to read about your progress. Don't be embarrassed about your screw-ups getting the ignition set right. Even the pros have those sorts of troubles. That's the part they don't show us on their build vids on youtube.

The truck sounds great in your video, even for being a tooth off. Makes me wanna go out for a drive and listen to my 292 sing to me this morning. I think I will!

4rod likes this.
  17. I appreciate the updates 4rod. Good progress.

4rod likes this.
  18. 4rod

4rod

Cowboy Ted
    Yeah, mistakes, have opened my eyes a lot I know the next build will go smoother, cause I've got a list of do's n donts. But as with every build I learn new stuff each time. Thx for the encouragement!

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,good progress and looks like you daughter likes it too!

4rod likes this.
  20. Glad to see you out on the road! Be patient with the tuning and enjoy...We've all been there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4rod likes this.
  21. 4rod

4rod

Okay tuning going well. Interesting though the truck wants to run real advanced. Not sure what that's about. Starting is rough however runs great when idling

22. 4rod

4rod

Okay so haven't driven truck today but it's still running rich. I messed with timing, idle mix, even messed with float level. I'm a bit suspect the coil is starting to go cause it's getting hot, no don't need a resister cause it's a 12v not 8v. I done valve lashes at .19 hot. So what am I missing...even tuned the 4160 to 54 jets. I'm stumped. Also another thing, when clutch is released its rubbing( no not throw out) cause I checked it and spinning fine. However when I run truck retarded the noise stops??? Anyone. Remember engine is a 292 and tranny is a T98. I'm running a hydraulic clutch, throw out arm is relaxed about an inch from engaging clutch.

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Have you checked the power valve? They ca case a rich at idle problem

24. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Great job! I have a 64 F100 that I have thought about doing Big RedTodd's treatment to also. No welding skills though :(. Highly proud of you for using a y-block. I have several and have a kick from them all. Highly underrated old engine. I also had an old 223 six in mine that finally gave up and I bought a perfect low mileage 292 in storage at 40,000 miles. It's singing a sweet song now. FYI, the yblock can handle much more advance. I run a full centrifugal advance at 38 degrees with a Pertronics.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  25. 4rod

4rod

1 shot...yeah brand new 6.5. I do have a 4160...600cfm. I'll check it again though. Thanks.

26. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If the carburator had gas sitting in it and it dried up, even if you soaked it in carburator cleaner it won't clean the emulsion tubes in the jet block. The old gas dries up into small white crystals. The only way I have ever been successful is to pull the brass plugs out of the top of the fet plates. You can get new ones or you can drill a 1/8 hole in them and put a small screw in and pull it out with a pair of pliers . I have braised up the holes in the plugs and reinstalled them. Check the power valve with a hand held vacuum pump and gauge. Frank

27. 4rod

4rod

Y'sguy
    Sure sounds sweet. Love the ram horns. Had a pair on a 272 in my 54f100. Yes I love the sounds of the y very distinct.

28. Hi,600cfm maybe is too big for a stock 292,i'm running a 390cfm on mine with big G heads and an Isky cam i'm very happy with it.Where is your initial timing?Try to hook the vacuum canister of the dizzy to a ported vacuum source on the carb.since i've done that mine idles much smoother and has 3-4 hg more vacuum at the same rpm.

29. 4rod

4rod