Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical olds 324

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by car doctor, Oct 7, 2016.

1. car doctor

car doctor

Can a 1956 olds 324 with extended bell housing be safely held on a standard engine stand? Is the bell strong enough to hold it?

2. F&J

F&J

I would say definitely not. I added two braces to my roll-around stand, just to move it on a less perfect floor.

Paul on hamb has pics of his tests, look youtube for search: 324 olds test, or 371 test, 303 etc.

these are weighty suckers espec if you hit the throttle...it will torque right away

speaking of 56 version 324; those came with a standard trans and two different Auto trans.

If you plan for a standard trans, the stick motor and only the old style A/T, has a crank drilled and fitted with the pilot bushing.

stamped in code on deck surface sticking out from headgasket: V code is drilled, A code is not. That is the first character on the serial number, hand stamped.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 371 on a stand right now, but no heads or manifolds. So, basically a short block. Not a problem.
    I also have a 374 Packard complete on an engine stand, and it seems to be holding up ok, but it sure looks shaky.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I had a Packard V8 on my stand I made a 2 X 6 H looking thing to support the front of the engine. It went from the pan rails to the base of my stand. it's a wide stance stand with a full deck.

F&J likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've got my complete 324 on my engine stand but...... I made a 1/2" steel plate that bolts to all of the bellhousing bolts and welded a stub to fit the head of my stand roughly centered on the cam C/L. I didn't use the arms or plate that came with the stand. When I tried that, the CG was so far out from the head that it would tip over if you tried to move it. The new adapter moves the engine back closer to the head for better balance.

loudbang likes this.
  6. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I did my 394 with the arms that came with the stand. Looked a little shaky but it worked for me.

7. You should be fine. This has been a project in my garage. 20160516_145439.jpg

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  8. I had a fully loaded (heads, VC's, carb, etc.) sitting on an engine stand for 8 months with no issues. I wouldn't fire one up on an engine stand, but sitting or rolling around isn't an issue.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Caprice89

Caprice89

I believe the topic starter wants to attach the engine with the bell housing to the stand. If so, I would advise not to. You will make the complete engine too long. It will either brake the bell housing or tip the stand over.

Leaking oil? No, sweating horsepower

10. 20161009_130724.jpg This is what @car doctor is talking about extended bell this engine has been sitting on the stand longer then I will ever admit to.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and belair like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Mine has been on as stand for few years now, thought about jamming a 2x4 under the water pump but haven't as of today

12. car doctor

car doctor

That is what I have.Thanks for the info everybody.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

324 Olds mounted on stand by bell housing. (Cherry picker crane for safety) ShortblockBuild 008.jpg ShortblockBuild 029.jpg

14. One of the last posts, where this question was raised, had pictures of broken blocks and stripped bolt holes.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Maybe today I'll jamb the 2x4 under it.......

16. why chance it? 2x3 at home-cheapo is $2.11

17. I don't know how much difference in weight there is between the long bell rocket and the 394 but my 394 short block bent my "700 lb." capacity 3 wheel motor stand. I got the bare block on a "1,000 lb." capacity 4 wheel stand now and I am still going to build a support for the snout before I stuff the block.

18. Or support until you get the crank in, then add the lower bell; no worries, unless you have a wimpy engine stand.
    olds bell.jpg

Paul likes this.
  19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

IMG_1234.JPG Now I can sleep at night

tb33anda3rd likes this.