Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocker oil line on outside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Sep 13, 2016.

1. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Your first statement of the thread indicated that somebody monkeyed up the rocker oiling system. '58 & 59 have the same basic stock system. None of them have the tubing you describe. The only reason somebody would put in the tube set-up is that the passages for the normal system were plugged. It could have plugged with sludge, which I think is unlikely.
    You found a different pushrod, another flag. The only other thing I can see is that they used lifters without the oiling groove in them. Doing that would shut off the oil to the rockers through the stock passages.

You say the hole you found is one size. Does it have threads in it? If so, they took out the restrictor to try & unplug the passage to try & fix the problem they caused.

The fact that the lifters seem stuck in could be because the wrong lifters have shut off the entire oil passage & none of them are getting oil. Try to get one out of there.

2. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

This is the hole I'm talking about but it's cast into the block so it can't be removed. The 1/16 is the '58 and the 11/32 is the '59 and up. I pulled the pipe plug out to see which size hole is there but I didn't see either of them. I pulled the different pushrod and compared it to all the others and the only difference is, it's not rounded off at the rocker side. I wanted to pull the headbolt today but I brought the wrong size socket with me. I do need to get the lifters out though, you're right. Screenshot_2016-10-06-13-35-07.png

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Where does the vertical passage end/go at the top?? Does it have a short horizontal section before it goes up??

4. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'm guessing the head bolt plugs it from shooting straight up.

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Can't guess, under that plug you took out of the passage side there should be a short distance horizontally, then up to the top. If you have an 11/32 drill see if it fits in that horizontal hole. That may be what you are looking for.

6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

That's the thing, when I took the plug out it just went straight through to the vertical passageway. There wasn't any other hole

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The picture in post 62 shows what they did. In the '59-'60 inset it shows an 11/32 dia, not an orifice. It goes a little sideways then to a hole coming down from the top.

The other inset shows the older one with the threaded brass plug with a hole in it.

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

See, according to the pic it looks like it goes through the hole the head bolt goes in and through a smaller hole into another pathway. Am I mistaken? Here are the only numbers I found on the block. 20161007_085621.jpg 20161007_085716.jpg 20161007_085653.jpg

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Your pictures are not showing the area that is inseted in the picture in post #62. The place of interest is up under the side panel.

Take out the plug near where the arrow points from the 11/32 sign. The little inset view shows the oil path.

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Those pics were just of the numbers on the engine to see if maybe I'm decoding them wrong. I pulled the plug out earlier which is what I was referring to in the last post on page 2. I'm about to go pull the headbolt out. What should I be looking for when I do?

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I don't see a 1/16 or 11/32 hole. It just goes in and it's a smooth inner wall of the vertical oil passage but no small hole..?

If you see the back wall of a vertical passage through the hole you took the plug out of you are seeing it through the 11/32 dia they are talking about. 11/32 is getting on toward a 3/8 dia hole, it is not a small one like the old one. It will have no drilled plug in it.

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Alright i pulled the headbolt. I took 4 pictures but this is the only one it'll let me load onto the thread. I found out the J77 casting code behind the starter is October 7 1957. The headbolt was flat on opposite sides of the thread. I could look down the headbolt hole and see right past the plug hole. This pic is with me shining a flashlight down the headbolt hole, looking into the plug hole 20161007_123527.jpg

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

20161007_123558.jpg From what pre68dave is saying, the hole should be in through the pipe plug hole and straight across "drilled/cast" into the opposite wall of the vertical tube but I'm pretty positive there's nothing there. He suggested to try a drilled bolt. I can give that a shot, I suppose.

14. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I'm going to ask 1 last time, get a lifter out. If you are trying to find oil in a passage that oil can't get to, the rest is pointless.

It is a block cast in '57 to be machined in '58 which would have the small oil hole under the plug. Obviously that has been drilled out. The infamous hollow bolt has holes machined in it, not flats ground on it. Somebody has had trouble with this engine. They added the tubing system because the stock system stopped delivering oil. You have to find out why it stopped.

H380 likes this.
  15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'll try and get one out monday. At this point, I'll leave the tube. I'm going to put the rocker oil tube that loops around on and see what happens. I need to pull the distributor out anyway cause I don't think it's seated all the way down. I'll use the drill again and spin up to 2000 rpm or as close as I can get it and see if the rockers are getting oil. If they are, I'll leave that one. If not, I'll go back to the new style tube.

16. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Success. I used my new center groove rockers with the new style oil tube and everything seems to be oiling pretty well. I found the hole behind the plug but it's waaaay smaller than what I was using to try and find it. I ended up using the .035 welder wire and I poked it free but the wire barely fit in it. I'm gonna reconnect the external line and run the pump again to see if it flows about the same just so I dont have to worry every time I'm driving.
    Edit: It flows a little better with the extrenal line. All the rockers were dripping oil without the line except 1 and now with the line that one is dripping too so I don't know. It had a bit of oil coming out of the hole, it just wasn't enough to cause it to run off the arm
    Edit #2: I took the line off again. I charged my drill over night so it had full power. This time, all the rockers were dripping away. Maybe they just needed a little priming to get going. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on them for the first 6 months lol

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016