Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas filler hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Is there any reason I could not use 2" radiator hose for a 3 or 4 inch length to connect my gas filler neck to my gas tank neck? I know its advised not to use silicone hose, but is there any reason just plain ole rubber for a radiator would not work? Filler neck hose is expensive and I have some radiator hose already.

2. i'm sure it would work , but not sure how it would hold up to gasoline....maybe in a few years it would go to crap?

i suggest you buy a foot of 2" ID gas filler hose

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

4. upspirate

upspirate

Not enough $ to chance a bad situation....use the proper hose
    If you go to a hose supply , they can just cut the length you need ,not have to pay for more than you need. Think leaks, ruined paint, fires !!!:eek::(

5. squirrel

squirrel

many parts stores sell it by the fraction of a foot, then it's only $10

Paul likes this.
  6. So, whats the difference in the filler neck hose? Looks like regular rubber hose to me. School me in chemistry.☺

7. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gas will turn coolant hose to mush, if you use ethanol then even quicker. Spend a little more and get the right stuff.

Paul likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about the chemistry, but neoprene rubber is the type used for fuel, while EPDM is used for coolant.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

radiator hose will work fine
    for water.
    gas will rapidly start breaking it down at the point of exposure

10. Gotcha. Thanks. Guess I will do it the right way.

11. Agreed with others on this, a short piece of gas filler hose is the wrong place to try to save money. Hose designed for coolant will quickly disintegrate when exposed to today's gas.

12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

sorry to say " This is not a area to save , it generally bite you in the a.. "

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fantastic site! Thanx, Gary

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've bought it by the inch at local Napa stores. I think it depends on the store, some will cut you what ever length you need off a piece and others want to sell you a certain stock length.

15. The N.A.P.A. I use quotes a by the foot price but sells it by the inch. You need 4" you only pay for 4". There's a reason it's printed right on the hose "safe for Gasoline".
    The Wizzard

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Don, your cheap!!!!!

56don likes this.
  17. Radiator hose is rubber, filler neck hose is going to be something a little more exotic.

olscrounger and Paul like this.
  18. Not only can it be dangerous over time by the gas breaking it down but all the little pieces of rubber and goo will go straight into your tank.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. That statement sounds familiar. Not sure if it was my wife or my kids who often repeated that.