Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T-5 in a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aarestor, Oct 4, 2016.

1. aarestor

aarestor

OK ; What I am looking for is there anyone making an adapter to put a T-5 in a A V8 con verted Model A? I know this has been done before, and I have done a search, but the info I have found is obsolete. I just need an e-mail or phone # if they are still making this. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I make an adapter kit to put the T5 behind a flat head but it is generic and not A specific. See ad in for sale column. Gary at Cornhusker Rod And Custom

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary's adapter is pretty popular as it saves you from having to hunt down a truck "hogshead" to use with the plate style adapter that Dwight Bond and others sell and simplifies things.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "info being obsolete" unless some pieces like an Astro Van clutch disk that some use can be hard to find though normal sources.

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Speedway and other venders sell a Flathead to T-5 adapter but they are for an open drive shaft. I think Gary from Cornhusker rod was building a torque tube adapter for a Jeep 4WD trans but I am not sure. With the popularity of T-5s these days I am surprised there isn't any more people building conversions. I have a T-5 with a torque tube behind my banger in my coupe and I love it. It made all the difference on how well it drives. Here is a link to a thread that may have information you can use.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jeep-t5-trans-in-the-torquetube.256226/

5. aarestor

aarestor

Guys I do not want to change the x-member or go to an open drive. This car is already painted and etc. I found a link here on the Hamb, I believe from 2013 that some one was making adapter to put a 4x4 T-5 in a original x-member with no drive line mods. The contact info is no longer any good. I was hoping he is still i business. His contact info was [email protected].

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That involves an adapter that I believe is used with a Jeep T-5 trans if memory serves right.
    Found the original thread on it. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jeep-t5-trans-in-the-torquetube.256226/
    He was/is on the board today so I'd just send him a PM and see if he still makes or has the adapter. Some of those great ideas are a bit cost prohibitive to produce and sell if there isn't enough demand for them though.

7. mr. forty

mr. forty
    from norco ca

I bought a torque tube adapter for my model a from Dave at vinage metalworks 330 322 3102 . And iam happy with it been driving it for about 3 mo.

8. mkubacak

mkubacak

Thank you so much for posting this, there was another guy making them, but he is no longer doing them. I will call him tomorrow.

9. Insert light hearted jab "Gene, I could have answered this in 30 seconds for you But I don't work there anymore." ;) Sorry I could not chat more at the swap, phone rings at weird times when on call.

10. Also, if you dig through the Banger meet threads there was at least one other guy doing the 4x4 to enclosed drive adaptor

11. Old Car Guy NJ

Old Car Guy NJ

12. Firecat7

Firecat7

If you are looking for a Jeep T5 , I have one from a national tranny remanufacturer.... its all fully rebuilt . $500 plus the shipping. I bought a package lot from this rebuilder of about 6 trans.... only one Jeep. call or txt 207-712-8585. good luck

13. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I also make an adapter for the jeep 4x4 t5 to torque tube. PM me if interested.
    20160201_190052.jpg

evil clown likes this.
  14. This guy^^^^^^^^^^^^is the one I was thinking of.

15. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

What can you expect in driveablity and reliability from this swap in a stock model a?

16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Running gear 4.jpg Finished chassis 1.jpg
    I put an S-10 T-5 In my coupe. I love it! I have only had the car together a month but the driveability is much better. A stock A transmission has a huge gap between 2nd and third. The T-5 gives it a gear between there and an over drive gear. The T-5s first gear is a little low but I don't mind it too much. I am still running the stock 3.78 rear end. Fifth gear has a 15% overdrive and I can cruise comfortably at about 55 with a stock motor running a single 97 and a tube header. I saw a T-5 thread that said swapping gears from astro vans and jeeps and mustang trans to get the perfect gear ratios with the most overdrive. I got my A torque tube adapter from Crazydaddyo here on the HAMB. However He is not making any more.

17. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

18. aarestor

aarestor

Thanks everyone, I think I found the way to go.

19. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

20. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I believe the late Dick Spadaro had an adapter for the "A"s. He was basically a one man operation, so not sure if they are still available. Might try the Ford Barn Model A Forum for more info.

21. aarestor

aarestor

I am going to try and go with the 85-87 RTS F150 trans. From what I have found out it will require the least amount of modification to my chassis.