Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ?? What is this, Cord??? I LIKE!!!

2. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Golden Gate. By the year on the plate, the bridge was only four years old at the time.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty handy, considering that the parts department is nearby.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    If the copied images are saved into your own files, then the images will last. It isn't just the HAMB that is saving the images, but the person that posted it. Some have old photo companies that once saved everyone's images. If they go out of business, then so do the images. Even if you change a You Tube movie clip with another version with a new name, the old one is lost or as the screen says, no longer exists.
    So, if you post a lot of images copied from various sources, don't rely on them being stable and lasting forever, save them to your files. The JPEG copies are not very large and can be posted just about anywhere. Plus 3TB hard drives are very inexpensive these days and everyone should have a back up of their files anyway.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki
    I am starting on my 3rd massive hard drive for my backups. If an emergency arrives, just grab the hard drive and get out. The rest of the stuff is always able to be replaced if needed. Save and scan those items you value most. A small 3tb hard drive is easier to carry than 12 photo books from years past... YRMV

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Original movies and original JPEGS with high powered cameras take up the most space on any hard drive. You can save them in various methods, but for high definition saves, that will take up more room than just a scanned copy off of an internet source. My original films take up a lot of space, plus, when I edit them for various sources or people, then the space gets smaller when I save them in neat little folders. YRMV
    Jnaki
    You can always save any photo in smaller sizes, but you lose definition. The reverse is always true, the larger it is, the grainier it becomes and then you lose quality. But, you can make all of your photos larger without grain in various photo programs. HD is a lot larger than SD ...experiment...

6. This was the Galloping Gert, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
    [​IMG]

Deepwater and C. John Stutzer like this.
  7. Things began so well too...

galloping gert falling down.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, Deepwater and Bomb like this.
  8. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

9. OK. Now that right there - THAT is crazy!!!

Chrisbcritter and Bomb like this.
  10. Tootall6767

Tootall6767

Yes, it sure is........

11. Tootall6767

Tootall6767

Don't tell anybody.........

autobilly, Bomb and C. John Stutzer like this.
  12. Tootall6767

Tootall6767

Yes, quite a few of them do............

13. [​IMG]

14. 1024px-Tacoma_Narrows.jpg 800px-TopViewNarrows.jpg

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

My way home .... love it every time I go across ... -2.jpg

Bomb, Ron Funkhouser and Deepwater like this.
  16. BornBuick

BornBuick

…. this photo opt with the falls n lodge has been posted at differing times from various sources throughout the years before and after the lodge was established and even way back before the bridge was built, however we are waiting for the photo showing what it looks like looking over the falls from the top water's straight down to the lodge and areas below :eek:

On the falls.jpg

loudbang, firstinsteele, Bomb and 2 others like this.
  17. Hakro

Hakro

Bomb and C. John Stutzer like this.
  18. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

sep11.jpg
    Jesse Mize's gas station and store - likely location Millington TN.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    loudbang, keef59, willy1947 and 7 others like this.
  19. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

sep12.jpg
    In the mid 70's I worked as a forest ranger in Southern Kentucky, and these little country stores dotted the countryside in the rural area I patrolled. One of my favorites was Elsie Story's Grocery in Rowena, KY. I would try to schedule my work to be in that part of the country around lunch time so as to savor the 3/4 inch slabs of bologna and cheese slathered with mayo and slapped together on two slices of Wonder bread and washed down with a bottle of RC Cola!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello DW,
    What you described was the perfect lunch served out west in So Cal for us, pre-teens. There was a Wonder Bread Bakery Warehouse near us and it was an easy walk to go get some goodies. We were always able to watch the assembly line of the bread-making part. Then the nice ladies gave us samples of bread and other goodies. Pretty soon, they were used to us coming into the bakery.
    Soon, (at home) our lunches were thick slices from a giant, hot dog style roll of bologna (baloney) with mayo and mustard. A staple at the elementary school lunch exchange benches with friends that did not like their lunches. There was a Coca Cola bottling plant about two blocks down from this warehouse bakery and that also made it fun to visit.
    Thanks for bring up that great memory...life was so simple then...
    Jnaki

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.