Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourtogo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Hi question what best cheapest way to ship a set of wheels . The two boxes are 19x17x16 @ 19lbs . The big shippers want a ton to ship them .

2. evintho

evintho

I've always used Greyhound for big, heavy stuff. I've heard a few horror stories but I've used them maybe a dozen times and never had a problem.

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Fastenal

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

From where to where?

5. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Hi I never used greyhound but I bought a motorcycle frame and the seller used the bus company $41 from Connecticut too long Beach Ca. The thing about them is no insurance on package . How does Fastenal work aren't they nut bolt house . Fred from Long Beach to Maryland . USPS wanted $56.60 for each box they were the cheapest of big shippers .

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

Used Greyhound once, worked well but you have to remember freight items are "space available", I've used Fastenal several times, items have to be palletized if not crated, by far the cheapest on big, heavy items but once again "space available".

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Greyhound sounds good, but 4 packages would be 4 times the worry. I worked for a company that occasionally used Greyhound and never had a problem, but that was 1 package at a time.

8. I used Fedex for 2 wheels last year and they were about $35-$40 to ship (just make the box as small as possible). I taped the 2 wheels together, then put them in a box that barely fit the outer diameter (with a thicker piece of cardboard on the top and bottom) and cut down the box top to barley close..........then used a shitload of tape :).

BTW I used the calculator for FedEx (generic zip codes) and got $99.28 for 2 boxes ($49.64 each).

9. phat rat

phat rat

Did you check the post office? Many times there are cheaper than UPS or FedX

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See post #5....

11. phat rat

phat rat

Duh!!! I didn't read very well did I?

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Greyhound Express includes $100 per parcel. You can purchase additional coverage.
    Used them many times for large bulky body parts. Never had an issue.

You didn't say where to where you're shipping? Might be a chance to catch a HAMB relay with someone traveling or on board a HAMB car hauler.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post #5 says from Long Beach to Maryland.

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've used fed-ex ground and am very satisfied. It is door to door, you can insure and it gets there with no hassle. You have to think about shipping in any transaction you make whether buying or selling. Good luck.

Pat

15. Fastenal is a pretty good deal.
    Box and protect the wheels, Band the boxes to a pallet and off you go.

Look up fastenal third party logistics

16. I work for fastenal. It is cheap. If you go this route you need to have the dimensions and weight. Items must be strapped or held down with no overhang.
    Ask for Third party Logistics. (3pl)
    Just need to know the zip code, address or 5 letter branch code for the receiving store.
    We can also unsure the items.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302GMC likes this.