Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Saved: 38 Buick Special Coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSCF1886.JPG A friend called a couple of weeks ago and said he ran across a 38 Buick Special Coupe that an acquaintance was thinking of selling. He had the coupe for a long time but hadn't driven it in 3 or 4 years. It had started to over heat on him and after having the radiator flushed and then rodded out he had just let the car sit in his storage building. I drove down to take a look. The owner said at his age he probably would never do much with the car so I bought it.

DSCF1884.JPG
    DSCF1888.JPG
    DSCF1887.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Any pictures? Sounds like a very worthwhile score!

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures didn't initially post but inserted some with the edit function. The coupe is basically stock. It has been repainted and all the window rubber and door channels have been replaced. It has the 248 straight eight. Interior needs replaced but it's a solid car. Floor boards have a little surface rust under the mats but no rust through.
    DSCF1897.JPG

DSCF1896.JPG

I am already backed up on projects so I will try to get it running in the next week or two and then probably list it on HAMB. Should make someone a good driver.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Texas Webb likes this.
  4. Some chrome rims and press go. Looks good.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Great find. Looks good. Drive it and maybe start a plan. 455 late or 401 wildcat in stock paint and trim would look great under the hood.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great find!

7. Thanks for getting the pics up. She's a beaut!!! :D

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Tone! What are you talking about? Dump the eight. Turn in your Inliners card.

Stovebolt and Hnstray like this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So......."Jimmy Six" is really J. D Tone...?? :D

Ray

Inliner #057

p.s. To the OP....it IS a nice find.......I have one the same make and model...'38 Buick's have long been a favorite of mine...

10. Nice lookin 38. Great find

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rich it's a Buick and keep it all Buick. ;) Well maybe not a 3.8 turbo Grand National. I'll keep hoarding my GMC's for later projects. I'll be at El Mirage with the roadster in October. Hope to see you. JD

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, one of the better garage finds!

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

For the sake of fueling a debate with Mr 200mph Tone, I say build a killer straight 8, add a six speed and late rear, and you've got yourself a killer of a sleeper, afterall buick straight eights own xxo records on the lakes.

15. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

That is one sweet looking Buick, shouldn't have any trouble selling her.

16. LONG

LONG

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stove, only at Bonneville. There are no record holding straight 8 Buick powered vehicles at El Mirage both XO or XXO at this time listed in the rule book.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Nice old car,Did you do a before and after cleaning on the rear bumper? Right side looks real good.

19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

too true.

See I knew that my comment would "fuel a debate " !!!!

You raise a valid point JD.

I figure that the noise coming from a souped up straight eight would be sensational with everyone but the neighbors!!!!!

20. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low Budget, good recognition on the bumper. I did a quick polish on the right half to see how the chrome was. Also on the grill and a couple of other parts. All of them cleaned up very well. A friend is coming over Monday to help me try to get it running. We'll see. Then, as stated earlier, probably list it for sale here on HAMB.

21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

In this years rule book,, Did not The Buick #218 garner a Street Roadster record this year at El Mirage. And of course Brocks record still, for now, stands.

22. gatz

gatz

man, that's a nice lookin car !

23. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't get the battery to hold a charge so bought a new one last night. Will clean the plugs this morning and put some Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders in anticipation of trying to get it running Monday.

24. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car there.

26. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Hope it starts up easily. Straight 8s are great engines.

27. Looks like a later engine. At least the air cleaner and valve cover. Is it a 248 or 263?
    Nice coupe.

Ben

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great find indeed !
    Love it..and agree, throw some cool wheels on it and press go .
    Good for you..

29. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assumed that the engine is a 248 but I will do some checking. I'm not that familiar with straight 8's so I will have to google some info. We did get it started today and it ran great. Had 35 lbs. of oil pressure at idle. Adjusted a couple of the valves by ear but I need to look up the spec's and check them again. Radiator, which was supposedly flushed and repaired, leaked in several places.

While I really like the car it is so far back in the project line that I will put it up for sale on HAMB later this week.

30. If we can see a picture of the drivers side of the engine, we can tell which it is. IF it has mechanical lifters, the tappet clearance is .015

Ben