Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Right place at the right time???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vtwhead, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Some of you may recall my friend Bruce and his many projects that he starts and finishes usually in a year. He is now building a 31 coupe that we picked up from another member in the Boston area.
    Last week he was eating breakfast at a local diner setting next to two elderly fellas when he overhears one remark how he has decided to sell off some stuff including his old Ford. Bruce takes up the conversation with the fella and then follows him home where he is shown this truck:
    100_5618.JPG
    He had removed the roof a long time ago. The only bad thing really. Starts and runs with a set of 17 and 19 inch rims/tires. One of the nicest beds I have seen in this area in a long time.
    100_5614.JPG

100_5615.JPG

Needs some work but they all do. We drove it around in the field and it runs just great. Going to try to find a roof to put it back together in time. For now he is going to just keep it as is and enjoy it.

100_5617.JPG
    So you never know when opportunity will knock. Bruce has always had a knack of being in the right place at the right time. The kicker is the elderly fella that owned it only wanted $1500 for it. Good thing Bruce always has a bit of mad money with him all the time!
    Thought you all would enjoy the thrill of the find. Now we can all send Bruce some hate mail!!!!!

slim38, Hnstray, Clark and 9 others like this.
  2. .............Looking for a stamp right now!:D;)

3. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

4. Cool truck, cooler story. I must be eating at the wrong diner.:D

5. F&J

F&J

Hey Walt, since you once brought Bruce to my shop and introduced us....tell hin I said he "got took" on that deal because it's got a 28 chevy front bumper... he,he.

I have a decent pair of older repro A bumper bars he can have if he wants to change it, but I think the wrong bumper really adds character.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. I didn't catch the bumper. I like it.
    Nice truck.

F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Actually I like that front bumper (sorry Henry) better than the Model A bumper that it would have had originally.:)

lothianwilly71 and F&J like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree, KOOL deal, switching diners.

9. similar story, a friend was having coffee in my small town, a local guy asked him if he would be int. in a Model A he got from his dad who passed away,..went and looked as it was only 3 blocks away, bought it on the spot for a song...had to rebuild everything mechanical, but ended up with this...
    gentys A 003.jpg gentys A 002.jpg

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, sometimes good stuff happens when you aren't looking - once in a while hear about a big lottery winner that never had bought a ticket before.

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

green with envy what a deal , if that truck was near me the owner would have wanted at least $8000 for it good score

12. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

COOL we like them deals look like a fun truck and the price was right :cool::cool:

13. Bruce is down at Hershey so no telling what he will bring back for the projects. Will see later this week when he returns. Frank I will let him know about the bumper.

14. UPDATE!
    Well after pondering this truck project for a while Bruce decided to start working on it and that in itself can be a bit dangerous as you never know what he is up to!
    So for starters he decided to build a new roof and along the way decided that it should be shortened a bit so he chopped it 4 inches and then let it set for a while so he could build a 56 Chev truck for a customer. This allowed him "refresh" time to sort out in his mind his direction with the truck. You may remember seeing this shot
    100_6054.JPG
    And it sat for a year as this and then when the 56 project was nearing it's end he brought it up front and started to tear it all apart. Sold the motor and trans to a local fella who was desperate for an engine, replaced that with a flatty and a 39 box and installed a later rear. Removed the fenders, installed a 4 inch drop axle and a Jeep cross steering box along with a pan hard bar front and rear. Replaced the firewall with a custom fabbed unit, intalled juice brakes and a new aluminum radiator with a 32 shell. And here we are today
    100_6332.JPG

100_6357.JPG

That back window was shot so he borrowed one from a junk out back. Think it came from an old Chevy truck.
    100_6358.JPG

He also revamped a two barrel intake and made his own 3x2 set up. He has done this several times before. Bruce is "old school" and does not like to buy what he can make himself!
    100_6359.JPG
    At the moment he is making his own hood. Got the piano hinge from Home Depot.
    100_6360.JPG
    Will follow this along and update as he makes more progress.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 or 15 years ago, my wife & I went to breakfast one morning and I drove my '55 Buick. While we were waiting to be served, a guy came in and asked "who owned the old Buick?". I admitted I did and we talked about old cars for a few minutes. He told me he had an manifold for a 401 (my engine) and I could have it, if I wanted it. So, who says "no" in that situation. I waited for him to finish breakfast and followed him to his house. I was expecting a standard 4bbl manifold, but he goes into his house and several minutes later came out & handed me a stock 2x4 Buick manifold. He said to take it, but I left him $50.00 and my phone number, just in case he came across anything else. Never did hear from him again.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

25 years ago I was hauling a tagalong trailer to a buddy's garage as I had a truck with the right size ball... dropped of the rig...
    his nephew was there, he stinks BAD... he walks to the truck before I could drive off...
    walks to my window and says guess what I got... I came an inch from saying "AIDS" ?...
    he says, a '33 ford 3 window body, I started to ask if it is a $100 or a $1000 BODY, but only got as far as $100 and says sold...
    I bought a sixpack..... of pinetree airfresheners, opened them all and put them behind the seat on his side, 50 mile ride, they made my eyes water...
    walking up to the car I see the decklid, gave him an extra $20...
    went back the next day to get it and the lady of the house was very friendly, brought out cookies and a soda, hinted I stay for more..i wanted the ford body, not her's...
    ...... today......... hmmmmm ?

Hnstray likes this.
  17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could have at least asked "how much" for her body ! :rolleyes::D

18. Nice work on the top. HRP

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I did go back, but she wouldn't sell the '40 fordor or even its dash...
    maybe I should have "stayed" for desert when offered !
    or maybe "I" should have brought her milk and cookies...

Hnstray likes this.
  20. avachace

avachace

21. 392

Nice looking build.

22. Took the bed to the blasters. Should be back today and ready for primer. Pics to follow when I remember to carry my camera up there:rolleyes:

23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Amazing story and I like what he is doing with the truck. The intake is so cool! Definitely old school!
    And I like the way he did the firewall....so simple and effective....its giving me ideas. LOL, no if only I had the skills! hahaha

24. well he rolled out a new hood replacement and has it mocked up. He uses a large piece of pipe and some clamps with a piece of plywood for a work surface.
    100_6361.JPG

Hamtown Al likes this.
  25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

That's really nice work there!! How did he attach the hinge to the hood?

26. UPDATE!
    Been working on a new house for a few months and have not been able to get by the shop until this afternoon. Bruce has the 31 in color and bolted back together. Painted it cranberry without the metallic and it looks really nice. Bolted the bed on and is waiting for the seat to come back from the upholsterer. The truck is looking very nice especially the rear pan treatment. Here are some pics. The wheels will be changed shortly. Try to get back to take some more pics later.
    100_6533.JPG 100_6534.JPG 100_6535.JPG

F&J likes this.