Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Dave DiRico '49 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 3, 2016.

1. brady1929

brady1929

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great looking car and some excellent photography!

3. Curt Six

Curt Six

I just looked at the TRJ feature on that car from issue 43 and you're right about the wheel covers...'51 Lincoln accessory. One of my all-time favorite Mercs. The interior in that thing is about as perfect as it gets. Very cool photos John.

4. In our almost painfully sharp digital world, looking at those pictures feels like such a relief for the eye. Outstanding photos, and a gorgeous Merc.

5. Restraint, no chop and drive the hell out of it - I follow the same band leader ODwyer-50 Merc.JPG

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one great looking Merc and I'll have to agree that less is more in this case. It has just the right amount of less though. I'd have to believe the HAMB photography bar has been raised a notch or two this time around and it may take some work to match it. I love the way film photos capture the details that a lot of digital work tends to miss or not hit that high note of got it perfect.

7. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

8. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

One outstanding car, has the perfect look. I don`t think any other color would look better. (IMHO)

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great post. I love to see a traditional low kustom with the proper stance. The stance of the DiRico Merc is a great example for me to shoot for with my Mercury.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  10. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Nice job. Chopped 49-50 Mercs have always looked neat if done correctly. We've all seen what happens when not done correctly, goes way beyond ugly (plus the expense). These era Mercs have great lines to begin with. Messing with the stance, colors, a few accessories and where to put 'the less' usually will 'do it'. James Dean's Merc in 'Rebel Without a Cause' was essentially stock (maybe lowered an inch or so) with fender skirts and white walls. It'll always be 'bitchin'. I've been inside a chopped Merc and the visibility is not quite my cup of tea.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    flamingokid likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a few outtakes that John took with his Rolleiflex 120 - a wonderful old medium format camera:

RolleiWide1.jpg

RolleiWide2.jpg

RolleiWide3.jpg

12. Nice Looking Merc, but I think I am on the Side of 49-51 Merc
    I had the Chance to have My Merc Chopped
    and said NO
    I like the Head Room & like to look out the Rear View Mirrow
    just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man with all this great photography lately when will we see prints and posters in the hamb store?

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm going to eventually do prints... But I'll only sell prints that I made on my WWII era enlarger... and that will take a ton of time and effort. I just don't think I'm quite good enough of a photographer to go there yet.

Rolleiflex and HelmuthBrothers like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fair enough :)

16. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

I actually have to give credit to my friend Ben MacMaster for the top two Rollei shots. I shot the last one of the rear. He was helping on the shoot direct Dave to the right spots to shoot the car. I had him move the car like 50 times hahah

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Since I saw Dave's car in The Rodder's Journal it has always been my favorite Merc.....by far. I saw it in person a few years ago at TRJ Revival in Baltimore and I just couldn't stop looking at it. I had to go back to it at least half a dozen ties. Such a beautiful car for sure! Now these photo's......man, I'm in love all over again. Well done!

I should mention that although I have never met Dave, he was overly kind in helping me via email with the stance of my Merc. Glad to hear others speak highly of him!

18. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Level. medium low.

19. Great stuff.

20. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

My friend just sent me two behind-the-scenes pics from this shoot. I had no idea he was even shooting haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. TOE

TOE

Beautiful car and photographs.

HelmuthBrothers likes this.
  22. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

A true, clean, flawless build...enhanced by the carefully-shot pix ! The interior is just spot-on tasteful !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

23. 504640

Right on with the blackwalls, Doug! Nothin' cleaner than black and chrome. Your band leader's rhythm section is layin' it down funky! Restraint Rules!

24. Thanks guys....Nothing like film!