Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 GMC Pick Up Suspension lowering questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lrs30, Oct 3, 2016.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

trying to get some info from possibly someone who has or have done some upgrades in the past. GMC is an odd duck compared to Chevrolet as it has coils up front, and leafs in the rear. So my question is, is there a company that offers a lowering kit? Or will Chev coils fit on the front? And what would be best on the rear? We would like to go as low as possible, we dont want to go thru all the fab work of bagging it so it will be a static drop. possibly thought about moving the spring mounting perch's up higher on the frame rails. keep in mind this is sort of a budget build, but if we gotta do a 4 link and coil overs to achieve the proper drop well then so be it. But would like to see and hear what others may have done. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully offer a little insight..

2. squirrel

squirrel

low as possible, notch the frame and put axle over the springs. then if you want lower, move the hangers.

front is a Chevy, pretty much. There is a lot of stuff out there for them, eh? or you could bolt in 73-87 stuff with a little work, there is a lot available.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the info, its my friends truck and i'm not up to par on GMC's vs. Chev. I know there are some differences but not sure what crosses over and such. Doing a axle flip and moving the hangers was what i was thinking, for doing it on the cheap. And a set of drop springs should get him right where he needs to be on this thing.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know if springs will do the front like he wants, might need to see what it takes to put the later (dropped) spindles on it.

5. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

A simple flip kit for the rear and one and a half coils off the front will have it sitting nice. Ive owned 4 one gmc. The flip kit was simply an axle saddle welded on the underside of the rear. Check out 67-72 chevy truck forum its a wealth of information for these trucks. Lots of parts interchange on chevy all the way up to 87 so if you plan on keeping it drop spindles and disc brakes are great upgrade. And year chevy stuff will work the same