Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford brake issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubert Cumberdale, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

Hello gentleman. I have a bit of an issue with the brakes on my 64 comet.
    My problem is the brakes are spongy regardless of how much I bleed them.
    The set-up is discs all around (granada front discs and 97 explorer rear discs)
    They are all of the single piston orientation.
    My buddy and I used 3/16 line on all of it and plumbed them into a gutted fox body distribution block.
    I have a proportinating valve under the driver side for the rear brakes.
    My original master cylinder was a 15/16 bore that had the same issue so we figured we would try the 97 explorer master cylinder since it was larger 1 1/16 bore and free.
    But its still doing the exact same thing and to be honest I'm kinda at a loss on where to go from here.
    I have double checked all the fittings for tightness and can't find any leaks.
    Any ideas?
    All help is appreciated!

2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Bleed the master ? Bleed the lines going into the master? The lines size is not an issue.

3. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

All calipers oriented with the bleeder at the top?

X38 likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Drum brakes with a small booster...try that and it will put you through the windshield if not careful.

this is the 57th disc brake-can't stop-thread this week.

X38 likes this.

5. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

I bench bleed both master cylinders before installing and tried breaking the fittings loose while bleeding. I used a vacuum bleeder then manually bleed them 3 times over. I'm getting straight fluid from them. The bleeders are right on top of the front granada calipers.The bleeders are oriented at the top of the explorer calipers just on the back side(facing toward the inside of the car).

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Divide and conquer.

Block the exits from the M/C. Pedal hard or soft?
    Hard=ok
    Softy=M/C problem.

Add the rear lines, leave the front blocked. Pedal hard or soft?

Block off the rear, add in the front. Pedal hard or soft?

Anywhere there's a fitting or something plumbed in to the system, you can cut it there and see if it gets better, or not.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

I like that ''divide and conquer".I did so,plugged the rear line on the master cylinder and had steady pressure.So now I know its in the rear system somewhere.Still can't find any leaks but I'm sure I will get it.Thanks everyone!

8. flathead4d

flathead4d

What brake fluid are you using? If it's DOT-5 it's very hard to get the air out of the fluid if you pumped the pedal too quick. Must be done very slow. Very small air bubbles stay in suspension in the fluid causing spongy pedal. If your using DOT-3 or 4 you won't have that problem so you must have air somewhere in the line.

9. Question How is 11/16th larger than 15/16th??
    Is the master cylinder under the floor or on the firewall?
    As David stated there is two output ports on the master cylinder make or buy some plugs to replace the brake lines. If peddle is hard your problem is down stream from the master cylinder.
    When bleeding start farthest from master cylinder work toward master cyl. Do the same with other port.
    Good luck and let us know what the fix is.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  10. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

dirt t the new bore size is 1-1/16. Its mounted on the firewall.Im using DOT-4.I went out and bleed the rears again with my vacuum pump.They became a little more stiff but I ran out of fluid right away so I'm grabbing more tomorrow and bleeding it again.If I can't find an issue with the block or any lines I may get a residual brake valve (2 lbs) and plumb it in the rear brakes and see what that does.