Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60 olds more door build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Meltkamp, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

I guess it's about time I post my build. I traded a 69 bug for this olds and wanted to go for a late kustom early Lowrider/bellflower look. When I got the car it ran like crap and would diesel if it was even remotely warm. It has a 455 and th400 from a 70 cutlass or so I can guess. Before had some shoddy work but I'm working on fixing that. This is the day I brought her home.

Attached Files:

2. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

So it had an aftermarket Ac/heater system that was tied into the cars coolant system and leaked like a sieve. All that was removed I pulled the motor fixed all the oil leaks, motor mounts, repainted it(olds gold) cleaned the engine bay, and the biggest issue was the pass exhaust manifold was broke at some point and someone tried to weld it back on to the head. Luckily the welds didn't penetrate at all. IMG_1109.JPG IMG_2996.JPG

3. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

The car sat crooked because again at some point someone cut the coils but didn't own a measuring tape or something. So in the interest of drivability (I live in west texas the roads are terrible at best) I bagged it. Didn't really take too many pics of the homemade brackets and such. I used 1/4 plate for the lower control arm mounts and just boxed the lowers. The uppers I used s10 cups. The rear I went over leaf and honestly wish I would have just spent the extra time to link it but that's a story for a different time.

This is before the bags
    IMG_1653.JPG

And this is after
    IMG_3245.JPG

4. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

I never had the Oldsmobile letters for the back or the dynamic 88 emblems for the quarters. So those holes got shaved

IMG_3541.JPG

Now we are pretty much caught up to where I am now. I did drive it to Dallas and back for the invasion without any issues. The original steering wheel was pretty cracked and beat so I decided to attempt a repair. I used pc7 so fill in the cracks after I v'd them out with my dremel. I wanted it to match the car some how.

This is a terrible picture but shows how bad it was
    IMG_3628.JPG

I'm pretty bad at taking pics of the progress but here are the ones I took
    IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG

Attached Files:

AndersF, clunker, spinner and 3 others like this.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks good! Dad had a white one when I was just about 4 or 5 (over 40 years ago)but I think it was a flat top.

Meltkamp likes this.
  6. Nice work! Those wheels look so much better painted. Gives it a more serious attitude.

Meltkamp likes this.
  7. Cool car. You're steering wheel looks awesome

Meltkamp likes this.
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

Cool car. Good luck with it.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

!!!!!!!!!!

12. Those steering wheels are the coolest , great save !

Meltkamp likes this.
  13. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

thanks everyone. So when I first got the car the original door cards were covered in black shag along with the parcel tray. The shag had faded to more of a salt and pepper color and smelled like the 70s threw up. So I removed all that mad new templates off the original door panels (they had terrible water damage). I told my wife she could be in charge of the interior so his is what she came up with. I'm pretty happy with it and the car doesn't smell as funky anymore.
    IMG_3719.JPG

AndersF likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I think it looks great. Good job.

Gary