Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One-way Bleeder Valves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Are they worth it? I'm having a hard time getting the air out of a new brake system, with all four discs. Everything is new and I did bench bleed the m/c - twice. I've gone 'round and 'round nearly a dozen times. Thanks!

2. F&J

F&J

It's a self bleeder for one man use. So, if you are bleeding the normal way, or even leaving them slightly open and going real slow with pedal...I can't see why you need those

if you have an OEM combination proportioning / brake warning block, one circuit can be blocked by unequal pressure while bleeding....it's a piston that slides to either side to turn warning light on. That will really cause issues.

3. Try a Mityvac, works great. Vacuum bleeding. Available from Speedway, lots of other places. Even at Harbor Freight Outlets (surprisingly)

FityFive likes this.
  4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used them on a few Harleys, but now using a MityVac...this is the only way to go for one man brake bleeding. Ive got a real one from Sears and a cheapie from Harbor Freight and both work just as well as the other.

5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Since we are talking about the mity vac. I tried to bleed the rear brakes on a 32 cabriolet I just got. There is a residual valve in the rear brake line. I cannot get the mity vac to work at all. Is it because of the residual valve? I assume it is. They do bleed the old school way perfectly.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have one that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/K-D-Tools-2538-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B000CO9NXY

Bought it a bunch of years ago, and it's worked fine on every car I've needed to bleed. Always meant to try vacuum bleeding, but never got around to it. Planning to replace the brake lines in my 37, probably in the spring. Maybe I'll get a vacuum bleeding setup finally to see how it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've had a Mity-Vac for years. Take the bleeder out and coat the threads with a little Vaseline or grease. Seals the threads from seeping air through when using the mityvac.

David Gersic likes this.
  8. john walker

john walker

If you hang a length of hose on the bleeder, you won't get air back in. The hose stays full of fluid until it's removed.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  9. BornBuick

BornBuick

… or could just buy a clear large 200 ml ( 6 oz) or similar sized syringe and attach the syringe tip to your tubing and the other end to the bleeder valve. Open up the bleeder valve and then draw back on the syringe plunger. No need to have someone pumping the m.c. and holding it down as you tighten the bleeder … repeat until clear and no apparent air bubbles …

10. the speed bleeders help, but or all new setup you have to completely push out all the hidden air, always push out through the pressurization of the master with one of those vac. It has always worked for me. The speed bleeders just make it easy to do it by yourself.

11. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Many thanks, Guys!