Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best looking GM steering column to swap in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Leave what you got it looks better than the late model column!

cretin likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Here is a pic of the column I have now:

[​IMG]

You can see the square box at the turn signal lever base that is so ugly.
    The column measures 30" from the wheel rim to the firewall mount, same as the Lincoln one does. I can cut the firewall mount off and move it if I need to. I just want to do away with the ugly box and fat TS lever and use the old style slim lever if that is possible. I can live with the key switch.

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I would, but like I stated above, I need a locking shifter. I'm changing to a Saginaw power steering box anyway, so the original would have to be cut to hook up anyway. Might as well swap it all now while I have the engine out.

4. Juliano's used to have a column cover available - not sure if they still do or not.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just looking at one of those at a buddies place last week. From a truck with a manual trans, so no column shifter, very clean.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

There are a couple of GM columns on the local Craigslist. One is a column shift, older and smoother style than the one you posted. Probably not worth buying and shipping from here, but you might see what's available in your area.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been looking at CL for a few months, everybody that has a column for sale thinks it's worth gold around here. I could buy an aftermarket chrome one for what they are asking for a worn stock one! I'll run across another one or figure out a new collar for this one.

8. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I used a 54 chevy column, with powerglide shifter. Since the base goes right into the steering box, I cut it off there. Used a column drop from 47-54 pickup. I double d'd the shaft, put a new bearing cup on the bottom then used u joints into the MII rack on my old 56 gmc pickup. It worked great, gave me turn signals, and looked great.

9. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I believe the pre-Express Chevy vans (1985 and older) had clean tilt columns w/o key.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

This one is from a '66 chevy school bus. Had to rework the transition cover to mount the '58 vette wheel. Self canceling signal. Clean. 2003-06-14 09.02.47.jpg 2003-06-14 09.01.55.jpg

falcongeorge and Chavezk21 like this.
  11. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I used a 74 Chevy van column in a 50 Chevy fit great chevy int 001.JPG