Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 ford wanting to keep stock rear cross member and use 36 bones

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xppetey66, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Hi guys- wanting to retain original rear crossmember and use 36 bones. What options do I have? Would like to use original curved Spring. What have you done with your set up?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '34 sedan used the stock rear Xmember, '36 Ford bars, and a front spring out of a '40 sedan. The spring fell in line with one end of the perch; I matched the widths with a 7/16" bung on either side to position the bundle. I forget whether the spacers were ahead or behind the main leaf eye.

big duece likes this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used as much of the length of the bars as I could. Welded bungs and Pete & Jake's 4-bar connectors/orange bushings were positioned very close together so as to closely mimic a stock front wishbone, and there was no binding when the car rocked. Very simple, inexpensive method for good suspension. Those P & J components might not be kosher in some rodders' eyes.

4. F&J

F&J

As far as the fronts of the 35/36 rear trailing arms, many have used a Ford front wishbone yoke with ball and Ford socket. I bought a 32 front wishbone yoke/ball on hamb, but Model A is cheap and seems like it would fit the same. mine uses the rubber Ford covering on the ball, but I don 't remember what year it was that had those.

5. Thanks f and j. Moreso questioning other end of it- as the curved Spring has the eye on the angle then effect the 36 radius which is not.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. F-head

F-head

if you use the 34 spring and 36 bones it will move your rear wheels forward a bunch
    not to mention having to heat and bend the ends of the bones to match the spring angle
    using the 36 rear spring works if you grind clearance for the x member
    Chris's 34 roadster has a 36 rear and bones and a ground 36 rear spring

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Jacobs' (Jake of P & J fame) yellow 3-W has the rearend setup with what looks like a front wishbone and ball, just heavier.

8. F-head

F-head

yea Chris Swenson
    I have a friends 32 frame here now with a 40 rear and spring
    the spring was ground for clearance under a flattened stock 32 rear x member
    didnt require all that much grinding
    so I dont think it would be too tough
    good luck
    B

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do you have the '36 rear end to use with those bones?