Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plymouth Coupe project??? With Pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wurger, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Wurger

Wurger

Hello guys so I got some pictures of the Plymouth coupe to finally upload, it's got a rusted out trunk floor in spots and a ding in the door and missing the hood...I was wondering what you guys would think something like this would be worth as a project or if it's too far gone thanks for all the input !

Attached Files:

2. I've seen Great cars built with less to start with. It comes down to your passion for the final product you will learn a lot along the way if thats your goal you can never loose. I guess what I'm trying to say is be sure you are in love with what you see in your head and you are willing to do what it takes to get there,then go build it! Hobo Jim

Wurger likes this.
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think it depends on you, what its worth, If you like it. It like "almost" any classic project should be worth at least 500 to 1000. but Im not sure you could ever come out moneywise even if they gave it to you with the stipulation that you must put it back on the road, unfortunately those old Plymouths dont generally bring money like fords or even chevies from all that Ive seen.
    If you just like it and want to save it, I think it could be cool but looking at the money part it wouldnt be one I would want to sink a bunch into. sorry, just my .02 even tho I do like it.
    With all the other old tin sittin around there I assume the guy has a hefty price on his stuff or he wouldnt still have it all, thats usually the case anyway.

Wurger likes this.
  4. scotts52

scotts52

I love the old Plymouth coupes. I like the 36s better than any Ford or Chevy. What year is this? 38? I'd bring it home and give it a go.

Wurger likes this.

5. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Looks badass, or at least has the potential to be a cool car. Its all up to you and your passion for it to see it thru. Hope its priced reasonably for the amount of work it needs. I'd give it a shot! Good luck!

Wurger likes this.
  6. Wurger

Wurger

Sorry about the delay, after getting the 29 Hudson Super 6 and finally securing the 29 3 window Oakland this old girl got put on the back burner, I think I'm going to try and make a deal this Sunday I just love the lines!!! Just can't find anything comparable to make sure I don't over shoot it's worth....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. If you don't already know that's a 1939 Plymouth Coupe, value?.........to be honest I would think no more than a couple of hundred dollars as its missing a few bits & pieces........plus the rust issues will mean a lot of work........not saying its impossible but there is a lot of work there..............depending on how you want to do it..........1939 Mopars, each brand had their own distinctive headlights that do not interchange.....ie, 1939 Plymouth had square lens and headlight surrounds that are different to the other 1939 Mopars, round 7" sealed beam conversions were available by the aftermarket after 1940 to suit the 39 Plymouth but 1939 was the last year for non-sealed beam lights..........1st year for the independent front end suspension that was essentially the same till 1956, kingpins the same 39 to 56 so later stubs(1941 on) fit and have disc conversions available to suit also...............finding a good 39 Plymouth 4dr sedan will make this build a bit easier as the complete chassis, front sheet metal, basic floor and possibly rear fenders will fit and even the 4dr front doors could be used to help repair the passenger door or a 2 door donor car might also offer the same or better donor bits including a good split bench front seat............btw all glass is flat if that helps...........but as mentioned its value would be minimal if you ask me...........hope this helps......regards, Andy Douglas

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Wurger likes this.
  8. scotts52

scotts52

What else is there? I see a model A something plus a lot of other metal.

9. Wurger

Wurger

There are a couple 29/30 Buick sedans , 28/29 A pickup and a mess of farm equipment These cars were pulled from surrounding fields when made into pasture. One of a few of my parts honey holes

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  10. scotts52

scotts52

11. Wurger

Wurger

Found a better front end not far from me for 1 Grand the grille is very straight and has all the stainless it also has the whole 4 piece hood assembly and both front fenders ( could prob deal and not get those FF as these are pretty straight) with that being said not including the separate 1000 bucks what's a good deal for this old bird so I'm not loosing my ass lol I know 200 was mentioned but I don't think the old man will bite that low....

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

What you are looking at is a money pit. I buy and build rusty piles like that one, I have even owned a 39 Plymouth coupe once.
    Unless there is a title for that car, I wouldn't go over $500. If there is a good title, maybe $750. Understand, the body shell fits mostly 37-39, and any trim is 39 only. Good trim parts are very hard to find. A grand for an entire front nose is a pretty good price if everything for the square headlights are present and in usable condition. The last square glass lens I saw was priced at over $100.

Lots of guys like that body style, but few are willing to pay much for them. I bought my nearly rust free (AZ car) 39 Plymouth coupe for $2500, and I could start it and drive it back and forth (with a modern drive train), and I sold the running driving licensed and insured nearly rust free AZ car for $7,000, and that took nearly a year to sell for that price. I was lucky to get the money I had put into it back, and that car was very solid. Gene

Wurger likes this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Willys front end fits the Plymouth with very few changes. 1 piece tilt front end and weld up the 1/4 windows and bam instant almost Willys ex faded memories.jpg cept for the back window.