Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shove it in there. It will fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OfficerBimbo, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

A question to all of my mega smart, brainiac, Ford truck owning, HAMB friends… I bought a 58 Ford F100 with a inline 223. I am doing a disk brake conversion with a power assisted dual pot master cylinder. I searched the HAMB archives and I couldn't find a definitive answer.

My question: Will a 7" or 8" master cylinder/ booster assembly come too close to the carburetor? I know I will not be abel to use the stock air cleaner.

Any pictures?

Any recommendations on what setup to buy?

Thanks!!!

2. I am no expert but I am pretty sure that power brakes were available stock. If not on the truck they were sure available on the car. Those old boosters were big and bodacious. Stainless Steel Brakes makes a pretty good after market unit, but I would be thinking about a stock unit if it were me.

3. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks porknbeaner. I'm not sure if the original mc will drive the new front disc brakes. I would like to use a larger, more modern dual pot mc with a combination valve. I will take another look at the original set up, though...

4. Look at about a '65 or '66 thunder bird.

We ran a disc/drum setup in a '55 Stude for several years with the original master cylinder and no booster. A common misconception about discs is that they need to be boosted. This is not a slam to your desire for power brakes. it is just information.

5. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks to you both for the info. All options are on the table. They sell direct bolt on booster/mc conversions for the 58 f100. I have seen pictures of them in f100s with v8 y blocks (clearance is not an issue with this engine) . I was hoping to talk to someone who had an conversion on a f100 with a 223 as the mc lines up with the carb.

6. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

I have considered not running a booster though- Again, good points. Anyone else? Beuler? Beuler?

7. Burkedore

Burkedore

I wonder if the master cylinder setup from a first generation bronco would do you any good? They are set at an angle to the firewall.

8. I believe in K.I.S.S. Use all Ford parts on a Ford when you can. My personal choice and I've used it many many times it the 1974 E-150 Van booster. It matches Fords 4 bolt firewall pattern on near all Cars and Trucks pre 1985. You can bolt on several factory Ford master Cyl's be them Drum, Drum - Drum, Disc or 4 wheel disc. No adapters or fancy Kit trash needed. You can even use several GM masters if needed (heaven forbid). Here are a couple photos of said booster, one in a 57 Ford with a 351W and one with a Big Block FE with tall valve covers.
    Spliting Hairs; 002.jpg P1010005.JPG
    The booster measures 7.5" in dia. and is 6.5" from firewall mount to Master cyl. mount. It is also dual diaphram not a cheep ass single dia that is near no improvement at all. If your Truck has a 2 bolt master Cyl. on it you only need to drill 2 morre holes and the booster push rod will through the factory 2" hole and hook up to your existing pedal weather it's Auto or Stick shift.
    I don't know how close to your Carb it will come but now you know how long the Ford booster is and with your choice of Master take a length measurment of it and you will know how much space you'd need.
    The Wizzard

bobss396 and Hnstray like this.
  9. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Look at an early 60's Chevy booster - larger in diamater, but thinner, around 2". Maybe a Fairlane or Galxie booster?

Discs WORK without a booster, but requires the same pedal effort as the stock drums.

10. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks again guys for the great info! I am going to take a few measurements based on the diameter and depth of that booster. The diameter of the booster is also important, as I have a hydraulic clutch master cylinder near the brake master cylinder. I may just go boosterless too…. Again, any of you late 50's f100, inline owners, running a disc brake conversion, hit me up.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Apologizes for my humor, BUT, That's what she said !

12. My '59 Ford stops good with manual discs, I also have the clutch master close to it, no room for a booster, unless I find one with that deep bracket on it. Which is about 1/2 way to the radiator with the master on it.
    42-004.JPG

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to look under the hood next time I am at moms but I think her 76 F-250 with a 300 six has a booster on it. I don't think it's all that big either. If I remember it I'll stop and take a couple of photos on the way home after work.

This one fits the 73/76 F-100 with six or http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...20778_-1&pt=01305&ppt=C0066#compatibilityTab_

I'm thinking the one on her F 250 is the smaller diameter one though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pol performance offers a kit for $290

OfficerBimbo likes this.
  15. I've done that Brake Kit stuff before. NO Thank you. Once you finally get it all installed only to discover you have issues, your going to contact the Tec person. Next you'll discover you just own a bunch of parts and not a System and along with that your on your own. You can do this with over the counter parts from your local parts store.
    The Wizzard

OfficerBimbo likes this.
  16. Word...
    You already have a Ford. It would be foolish to use anything but Ford parts on it. It gives you a better chance at a working system and the pedigree of parts is a known.

OfficerBimbo likes this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could always use a hydrovac unit I'm not to sure that wasn't the only power brake option used on 1958 Ford trucks.

18. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Ha!

19. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks for the pic!

20. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

What MC is that?

21. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks for the info! FYI, I'm in Venezuela, and in case you all want to know, there are no HAMB events here.

22. OfficerBimbo likes this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 57-60 power booster is expensive so I looked for the next newest available. I used the 1964 booster for my yellow truck. The 64 booster is pretty small and leaves lots of room. mastercylinder2.jpg 7347094878_d9ddea448c_z.jpg I had to make an adapter from booster to firewall and had to drill a new hole3/4' down the brake pedal to get the right pedal ratio.
    I use a 15/16 master on every one of my cars and ask for it as a 1980 Pinto at the parts stores

OfficerBimbo likes this.
  24. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

25. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Nice
    Nice truck and set up! Again, my biggest issue is that I have an inline 223, and that set up most likely will interfere with the carb.