Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Load metallic squeal from clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Janius, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

I installed a new clutch kit less than a year ago and have only a few hundred miles on it. Going to a show last week the car developed an intermittant metallic squeal (VERY loud) when pressing on the clutch when coming to a stop and the same noise when starting off... but only in first gear, all other shifts (to 2nd, 3rd, 4th) were quiet. This happens only about 25% of the time. The throw out bearing is a carbon ring type, not a roller/ball bearing. Any ideas?

2. squirrel

squirrel

dry pilot bushing?

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My guess would be the throw out brg.

5. squirrel

squirrel

he said there is no bearing, it has a carbon ring. If the carbon ring "goes away" there will be a lot of free play....along with the screech

6. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

OK, did some more work... I have a "bore scope" and poked it thru the clutch lever hole in the bell housing. Got a look at the throw out bearing (it is a "carbon ring"-that is a graphite ring) and there is is about 3/8" left on it- I took out a spare and that is about the amount on a new bearing, so that isn't it. It is beginning to sound more and more like the pilot (which is a sintered bronze bushing). One other possibility is the thrust washers on the crankshaft, but these would be at their worst when the clutch is all the way in. I think I may have screwed up and put a dab of grease on the tip of the clutch shaft before I reassembled. Why that would mess things up is beyond me but I have seen references to that.

7. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

I am beginning to think that. It is a sintered bronze bearing.

8. Why didn't you bother to tell us the make and year of your car...There are some very smart guys here on the HAMB,but I have yet to meet a mind reader..or is it off topic for the HAMB?