Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official [Ed] Winfield Speed Equipment Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Johnny, runs really well. I used to have a weber carb and Snyders cast iron 6:1 head installed. Definitely appears to make more power with the Winfield head. What are the details of your set-up? I think we need some pics :)

2. Yes this is likely a shelf display piece. What is the thing that looks like a condenser?? IMG_2410.JPG

3. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

Perhaps this thread can help me out. I purchased a pretty built 41mercury flatty, 3x2 strombergs, block is ported and relived,4 inch crank, .040 over etc turns out to be about a 293 CID. The cam is a winfield S1 with no lobe towards the rear to push a push Rod up and down for the fuel pump. Will this cam suffice or is it too much ?? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465397908.931998.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465397926.324620.jpg
    It is going in a 29 roadster on 32 rails, t5, banjo rear 3:78 gears, big and littles tire combo. A friend is stating that the cam is too much and will not run good around the streets???

Outback likes this.
  4. Am I missing a Jet or something on this carb I picked up (see empty hole).

Attached Files:

5. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

No, Winfield carbs are drilled for either updraft or downdraft, the difference is where the holes are drilled. Look on your fuel bowl, it will be marked with the size and a U or a D to indicate which one you have. Bowls are not interchangeable.

Outback likes this.
  6. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

The marking of early Winfield cams is unknown to me but in a roadster you may like to have a hot cam? You need the duration and lift to determine drive-ability. If your engine is only +.040", and a 1/4 stroke, it is not 293 cu. inches. 3/8 X 3/8 is only 296".

hotrodA likes this.
  7. Ah.. So if it was an updraft the empty hole would be on the other side? Thanks.

8. RussTee

RussTee

I am trying to find a pair of choke horns for my Winfield model S carbs SER-SB has any one got some spare e mail me [email protected]

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Glad to see that the carb arrived safe and sound :) Enjoy

10. That was you?? Sorry for the slow response, I was out of town when it came.

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yeah, that carb was mine. I had it sitting on the shelf collecting dust and thought it would be better served on someone's car.

Outback likes this.
  12. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

IMG_3221.jpg I know it's technically not Winfield but it does take winfield carbs? I've looked at hundreds of pics and articles haven't found ANYthing out about it...

Outback likes this.
  13. T__N__A

T__N__A

Here are some Winfied Cars and the car I run them on.... Scott Hills tuning the carbs on the bottom pic.

winfield.png gerber.png tunning.jpg

Outback, Stogy, flyin-t and 2 others like this.
  14. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

IMG_4380.JPG
    This Winfield OHV, pictured in my garage, was my most prized automotive treasure years ago, until financial pressures made selling it to Don Ferguson Sr. the right thing to do. It's currently in the Smith family Speedway Motors museum.
    It has 4 intake ports on the left side, and 4 exhaust ports on the right. It was designed to use 4 side draft special Winfield carbs which used 3 mounting bolts. Only 2 sets of those carbs were produced. It is shown equipped with a custom made chrome plated intake manifold with 1 5/8" chrome plated SR carbs.
    This head is 1 of 2 that were used on the car driven by Rex Mays to the 1934 west coast AAA Championship.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  15. This is a 7:1 "Yellow" head correct? Not date or anything on it. IMG_3182.JPG IMG_3183.JPG

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Winfield heads were stamped on the boss between #1 and #3 plug, yours is not stamped. The first number indicated the compression ratio, the rest was the serial number. I have no idea what those other stampings are. To find out for sure, measure the volume of the chamber and do the math.

17. The chamber was shown to be a "Late Winfield". Are you saying it might be a repop? Or just that it is odd it doesn't have the stamping?

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Jim, I do not know if it is a repop or not. If it is original, it is weird that the serial number is not stamped into the head. I have not heard of a repop cast iron Winfield head, except for Tod Buttermore's recently produced heads. There are only a few of them out there at the moment. Jim Brierley would know more than I would about the possibility of older cast iron reproductions.
    My 7:1 crows-foot has the serial number stamped into it.
    DSCF2921.JPG DSCF2927.JPG DSCF2928.JPG

Outback likes this.
  19. serial number may show after it is blasted. has silver paint on it now.

20. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Jim, please let us know what you find once blasted, thanks.

Outback likes this.
  21. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

jim1932, I've never seen any re-pop iron heads until very recently, by Tod. Yours might have gone out the back door of Winfirld's shop???

Outback likes this.
  22. What do you know Mr. Brierley...........
    J

23. After blasting.... no numbers. Maybe it's an uber rare prototype..... or not...

Attached Files:

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The super Winfield I have doesn't have any numbers stamped on that pad either. I posted a pic of it earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. what, if anything is interchangeable on winfield carbs? Are the floats different for example? I know an SR is different from an S, but will an SR ball work in a S? I have some parts and want to see if I can assemble them.

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

27. thanks, more looking for can the float ball in an A be used in a BB? what in a float side is actually different between sizes? Just the body, body and jets...everything different?

28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Jim, all "S" Winfield carb floats are part number S27 for the "A", "AA", "B", "BB" and "C" sized carbs, so would be interchangeable. Not 100% sure if the SR float can be used in an S carb, but if they are the same physical size, I would say that they are interchangeable.

29. So what's this? looks like a vacuum port or someone was injecting something into the carb? InkedIMG_3554_LI.jpg

30. Checked my other carb and it is clearly som sort of add on. Guess I need to swap out the barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app