Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found a 39' Plymouth Coupe, not sure if I should try to make a deal. ( no pics yet)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wurger, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Wurger

Wurger

Hey fellas so I came across another car by a word of a friend, I have some crappy thumbnail pictures that were sent to my phone but I unfortunately cannot attach them. The 39 Plymouth is mostly complete it has a pushed in passenger side door ( as if in a long ago accident ) and is missing the hood, what is there has little to no rust and has the complete drivetrain. I tried to see if this car would be worth getting using other sources so I didn't have to bother all of you, But when I try to Google "39 Plymouth coupe, "for sale" or " projects" I keep getting Nothing of note.. Are others working on these as projects , are they not desirable, or are there just not that many around? What's the going rate for a solid project, so I hopefully don't get screwed when trying to make a deal...? Thank you!

Gary Cooper likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

I don't have a price, but those Mopars are very good cars to drive, stock or not.

...and the repro stuff is available for mechanical and rubber parts.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Lots of stuff available for the 1939 Plymouths. I wish I still had my '39 coupe. I sold it to a guy from Texas. It was light blue, gutted, but fairly rust-free. First year for the column shift. First year for the headlamps incorporated into the fenders. First year for the automatic convertible top. Without photos, it will be hard to tell you what it's worth. If you want, send the photos to me and I will load them here for you.
    John
    keiser 31 @ charter.net (all lower case and no spaces).

F&J likes this.
  4. Jeri Hagadone

Jeri Hagadone

5. Slopok

Slopok

Frank from Pickers didn't do so well with the one he bought!

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wurger,
    If the Coupe 'makes you gitty' ... then buy it, but if now, ... pass.

7. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Frank from Pickers bought a 1940 Plymouth. May have been titled as 39 but it was a 40. I couldnt believe it made it to airtime being called a 1939.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Is it a coupe, or a sedan? A "pushed in passenger side door" could be an issue. Besides also possibly having pushed in the side, door post, roof and rear quarter, simply finding a good door might prove to be a challenge.
    Outside of the damage caused by the crash, the condition of the car as far as rust is concerned will also have a huge impact on the price of the car, and having a title also effects the value. There is someone over in the cars for sale that been trying to sell a 39 Chrysler Royal business coupe for a while. It has a lot of rust to deal with, but its pretty cheap considering there is a title there.

I sold a running, driving AZ body 39 Plymouth business coupe for $7,000 a few years ago, and that guy has dumped several $$$$ more in to it since.
    I've seen prices range from $500 (didn't take long for it to sell) to over $10,000 for a pristine original business coupe (still for sale).
    What it might be worth without good pictures, and a real life look are just a guess. Gene

9. squirrel

squirrel

heh....that car Gene sold, back in 1989 when my wife bought it :)

39plymouth.jpg

Wurger likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine had a 39 Plymouth Coupe with a 350/350 Chevrolet and Ford 9 inch. I let him store it in my garage for just over a year; he offered to sell it to me, but I had too many cars as it was. They have "square" headlights, and those may be hard to find/replace; the only year for that feature. I say grab it if you can; they're not making them anymore!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Didn't look a lot different when I sold it!
    Sure looks different these days, it has blue paint, stock wheels & caps, and all the chrome trim! Gene

Attached Files:

squirrel likes this.
  12. Here's a buddy of mines 39 Plymouth. Stance, wheels and tires! :)

IMG_3665.JPG start.jpg home.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  13. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

I have the avatar 39 plymouth 2 dr sedan. I have had this several years, 350/350 monte sub frame, rear axle. Really nice driving car. Parts are out there, sheet metal a little tough to get but is there. Head lights show up know and then, kits out there to put seal beams in the fenders. I like this car because its not a ford or chevy just a little different. Get it, good luck. Bob

Wurger likes this.
  14. Those square headlamps, lenses and reflectors are out there. They come up for sale every once in a while.

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You ask whether it’s desirable and what it’s worth. Old Mopars like this can be cool, but won’t have the same resale value as, say, a Ford or Chev of the same vintage. Pricing is hard to judge without seeing it. But to my mind, the Plymouth you describe, with damage and missing parts, is maybe worth $1,500, presuming it’s titled.

But here’s some unsolicited advice that you can take or leave. Your questions suggest you don’t know much about Mopars of this era. Thing is, a car like that is something you buy only if you love it. Don’t just grab it because it’s available and cheap. The purchase price of a project is just the tip of the iceberg. Parts and repairs will cost much more, in money and—very important—your time. The satisfaction of a good purchase price will wear off long before you are done. If the car doesn’t thrill you every time you look at it, you will lose interest and it will go back on the market. Usually at a loss.

I would really encourage you to spend some time figuring out what cars you like, and then go find one. For inspiration, check out car shows and Hamb build threads and classifieds. This is your second post about a car that essentially found you. Like the Oakland in your other thread, it’s a bit of an off-brand that has potential, but you’ve got to love it to make it happen. And frankly, those kinds of cars are always available.

That said, my first car was a ’39 Chrysler Royal business coupe that fell into my lap. I loved it then, but never got it running (heck, I didn’t yet have a driver’s license). That was 40 years ago, and I wouldn’t buy another one today. But that’s just me.

And by all means, keep posting as you do your research. Your threads are fun. Good luck in your search! :)

Wurger likes this.
  16. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

1939 Plymouth coupes are unquestionably beautiful cars from the A-pillar back. From there forward, it is up to interpretation. Personally, I was always a bigger fan of the 1937 Plymouth nose. My Plymouth is in my Avatar. It was rescued from a boat junk yard when I was 18, with the hopes of it being my first hot rod. When we were dragging it home, we realized how bad it was when the lights from the cars behind us were shining through most of it. I could go on about my car but I will say this; I gave up on the project and let it go about 10 years later along with most of the parts I had collected.

How much the car is worth depends mostly on its condition and how much you like the car. Even beautiful convertibles 39's don't go for too much over 30k. You can get new floors and lower sheet metal from Plymouth Doctor: http://www.theplymouthdoctor.com/ Some other parts can be difficult to find, or expensive when you do. Post some photos and it may be easier to come up with a value of it.

Do some research and you may end up loving the 39 Plymouth. They are great cars. As for now, I've downsized into Bantams.

Wurger likes this.
  17. Wurger likes this.
  18. Wurger

Wurger

I goofed and accidentally started a short thread when I thought I was adding to this one ‍♂️. Here are some pics of the car, ( she got put on the back burner while I was securing my 29 Hudson coupe and the 29 Oakland coupe.) I have managed to find a complete front end with the four piece hood, grille with all the stainless and front fenders off a sedan near by but it'll hit me in the pocket book by a Grand. At this point I would like to ask you gentlemen what the value of the coupe as it sits before and after the front end swap, I must say that I just love the lesser seen rigs, as you can see above, plus the lines on this car I think would make for a bitchin' hotrod . I am certain I will go under water a little bit money wise, (as we all do) but with that being said I would like to keep as close to the surface while drowning as possible.......
    IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Gary Cooper

Gary Cooper

20. F-ONE

F-ONE