Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who was the best at speed shifting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Sep 28, 2016.

1. belair

belair

If you had to bet the farm on a driver (not the car), who would you go with? Jenkins, Sox, Landy or another?

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

3. Ronnie Sox and then Dick Landy. I'm prejudice though having been lucky enough to meet both of them.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. harley rider

harley rider

at that level they were probably all about the same.you can only shift so fast. it is more about shifting at the right time.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

SPEED shifting you let off the gas , POWER shifting you don't lift ...
    dave

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

SPEED shifting you let off the gas , POWER shifting you don't lift ...
    dave

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Now I understand your handle : "2OLD2FAST" , you do everything twice.:p

34toddster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. aaggie

aaggie

Back in 1964 I spent about an hour in the pits at Cecil County Drag Way talking to Bill Jenkins about modifications to Muncie transmissions and he taught me a lot. He also carried several complete transmissions and spare parts with him.
    I have seen all of the mentioned drivers and Ronnie Sox would have the edge. Bob Glidden was no slouch either and the Ford top loader was harder to get right.

mad mikey and wraymen like this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is more to winning than shifting. back when I was young and handsome I could shift as fast as any of those guys. you can only move that shift handle so fast even if you are superman

learn't to drive in a 3 speed column shift 49 Chevrolet. the very first time I drove a 4 speed was when my buddy bought a 56 Chevy and I had to drive him out to the back roads so he could learn to drive a clutch. as soon as we got off the main roads I took off in first gear and banged through the rest without ever lifting my foot off the gas.

damn, I just realized I have not had a car with a V8 and four speed in over 30 years:(

10. My wife Mia could beat me hands down on every speed shift. She initially ran a 140 HP Monza Corsa
    convertible then followed that up with a '70 GTO Ram Air lll we bought new.
    She was amazing. Had to replace a lot of valve seals, a couple of timing chains, and several sets of rocker arms but never lost a clutch or rear end. Oh yeah, had to replace the case on the Muncie but only because it had a porosity issue, not her fault.

I know A 1970 GTO isn't HAMB friendly or HAMB politically correct but I had to show you her weapon.
    The Pontiac dealer was acting a little annoyed about the waaranty work she was providing them.
    Hell, she was keeping them well fed. GM never refused any warranty work. I assume they always got paid.

The GTO held up waay better than that little frail Monza Corsa.
    1970 Pontiac GTO_1.jpg

11. Gene Schwartz and his '52 Chevy E/Gasser. Motors by Ron Hutter.
    Gene is now in his early 70's ...... an amazing driver with so much success.
    His brother, Glenn Schwartz was a guitarist for the California group, Pacific Gas and Electric.

chopper99 and TagMan like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you mean showroom stock with column shift 3 speed Tom McCahill would take some beating. Witnesses say he shifted so fast his hand was like a streak of light. No doubt road testing every car made had something to do with it. He claimed he learned his moves in a Parisian pickpocket school.

13. Gene himself is a bass player and still tours today. He won a grammy, which is no small feat and played with Robert Lockwood Jr. He can also bang some gears.

chopper99 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Ronnie Sox and Norwin Palmer are the best that I've seen.
    Pete

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dave Strickler...With Herb McCandless, Dondero and Sox fighting it out for runner-up. Even Jenkins said Strickler was the best he'd ever seen.
    Steve Collision told this great story about going for dinner with Jenkins and Strick in a 4 speed AMC Hornet SS/DI was road testing, and Jenkins driving first, then Strickler taking over.,,

chopper99 likes this.
  16. Yes, I neglected to mention Gene's accomplishments on the guitar.
    I last saw him in Ohio, two years ago, drag racing at a Nostalgic Gasser meet.
    Still very good !

chopper99 likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ha! Years ago, I remember watching this guy power shifting this stock 3 on the tree '56 Ford at the Langley Loafers drags at Mission. Every time he went for second, it looked like he was going to put his fist through the windshield.:D He was really getting after it!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Me and I have enough blown up M21 transmissions to prove it
    I said I was fast, not good.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. This man right here. My dear friend, the late Rollie Gravel. He started driving for me on a fluke. We wanted to try his 301 small block in the roadster, and I told him it was his engine, take the first ride. We were blown away by his prowess with the T 10. In almost 6 years of driving for me, he never, EVER missed one shift. The car sounded like we had installed a hydro in it. In this photo from the '66 HRM race at Riverside, Rollie had to wade through 7 rounds in street eliminator, and never changed the dial in, and never varied more than .04 on the ET's. Dyno Don was good, he drove the car a few times, but Rollie was more consistent. When everyone was going to Hydros, Torque Flites, and clutch flites, we stuck with the good old T 10. Rollie's shifts were so precise, once we put in new syncro's, the trans was never even opened up again.

[​IMG]

20. belair

belair

It's great to learn of guys who weren't the most well known. Thanks.

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those 4-speed syncros were not stock.. If you could have had the "dogs" in my Tex 101 back in those days everyone should been the king. On El Mirage runs guys come and see what kind of "automatic" I have ;)

stillrunners and falcongeorge like this.
  22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Anyone remember Shirley Steinmetz from Pocatello ? Very successful D/S Olds driver ...

23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

they were all purdy good
    so its just a list of the people we met and admired
    and or knew well...

Lee Shepherd (R.I.P.)

24. Hopefully this works. Vid of The Grump in action.

25. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

NHRA allowed Lenco transmissions in Pro Stock to stop Sox from winning so much. I think that is a big endorsement for Ronnie as the Best.

stillrunners likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have heard that story before, but I think its a bit of a stretch. I do believe NHRA wasnt too happy about the hemis winning everything, but the tube chassis small block sub-compacts had Sox in real trouble before the lencos came...

chopper99 and brad2v like this.
  27. I always bet on myself. If you don't believe that you are the best you should be working at being the best.

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gene Schwartz.......................
    [​IMG]

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fremont Drags, 1958-1963...Freddy Hawthorn, in his Corvettes...powershifted so fast I went through 11 T86 Ford boxes before I sounded 'close'... LAL (Live AND Learn!)
    My son and I installed a 302 roller engine (B303 cam, 2X4 Edelbrock, 600s) in his '64 Mustang, with a 5 speed.
    He was in shock with my shifts when we got the cable clutch perfected..."Wow, Pop...it's been 20 years since you've done anything 'stick'... I said it was like 'riding a bicycle'.
    (Easier when it's not MY tranny!)