Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How does THIS happen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Sep 28, 2016.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I'm speechless. How can this happen? And what a waste! First and reverse were perfect.

IMGP2954.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    dearjose likes this.
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Maybe case is cracked badly up front and some heavy throttle allowed the gears to move apart by spreading the crack? I think that would have left substantial lubricant in clutch area.
    Another thing which might no longer be identifiable would be a single tooth failure allowing gear to advance to worst possible non-mesh and then to rotate...or simply a loose part, like the little pin from shifter, getting into the mesh

3. Bruce beat me to the answer. My theory is a gear tooth/teeth fracture. With nowhere to go they wedged in and.....

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I haven't actually seen it in person yet but it's a transmission I built about five years ago. The guy who stripped it down says the case has no cracks. That was my first question. Couldn't have been the pin, it was a side shifter. It's an 8BA cluster so I suspect the roller bearings somehow failed. How? I don't know. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anybody without a case failure?
    Ed

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Heavy right foot and some good traction?

jeffd1988 and wbrw32 like this.
  6. I've seen it happen on old Ford boxes by flooring the gas pedal and dumping the clutch with reasonably good traction.

bowie and wbrw32 like this.
  7. I've seen that before too.... Too much power and/or dumping the clutch. Knew a guy 'back when' who dropped a stock 354 hemi into a '48 Ford sedan with the stock Ford box, he could produce one like that within a couple of 'drag starts'....

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Roller cluster...Hmmm...those will assemble and feel good with less than a full load of rollers...suppose that led to some rollers reorienting themselves and trying to lock up the cluster? I don't really know anything about these, but I just instinctively prefer the caged rollers...giving the rollers choices about where they work can only lead to bad things.

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over 50 years ago while I was still on the farm I work for friend of mine's dad and they had a 51 Ford, my friend wanted to show me how fast it was so in the gravel road in front of their house he wrapped it up and dropped the clutch and snap and axle off. So evidently the cluster was strong enough

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I did the same to my 50 ford pickup trans twice in high school. Power and traction. Gary:confused:

11. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Honest! I wasn't abusing it t all! It just happened!
    Its all your fault. It only lasted 5 years.....

I used to collect broken parts. With enough abuse, anything can be broken.
    I used to tell guys that would tell me something was unbreakable that they just weren't trying hard enough. I had a 2nd gear set out of a Hemi 833 that looked like that. I decided maybe I shouldn't be trying so hard. Gene

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Cleaned one off like that
    Full power flat shift no clutch second back into first
    ka boom

13. Sounds like we were all stupid when we were young !

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Age has nothing to do with it
    .Im 70 and still pretty stupid at times

reagen, bobg1951chevy and Mike Miller like this.