Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake line/exhaust proximity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Cowboy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been spending some time under my new '54 Chevy wagon. While under there, I noticed that the brake lines are only 1.25" or so from the exhaust (see pics). This doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but I'm no where near an expert. Eventually it'll all get redone because I'll be switching to a firewall mount m/c from Walton fab, but I was hoping to drive it as is for awhile before tearing into anything. Is this safe or is this a fix it quickly situation?

Attached Files:

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks like you have enough extre line, move up as much as possible and put a heat sheild.

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure but it doesnt look like it would be that big of a deal to move them on top of the cross member or at least take the little bracket bolts out and put the line above the bolt with same bracket and same hole, but moving them on top of the X member may be better, running them across the body above the trans would probably be even better yet.

4. I had a brake line very close to the header on my '65 Chevy C30. The brake line became porous after it turned cherry red.

5. X2
    Even another inch away would make a big difference.
    Or a simple sheet metal shield clamped to the pipe would help for now.

6. That's not as close as I was expecting. Why not just give it a little extra bend away? Wouldn't give it a second thought.

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If I can get my finger between the brake line and the exhaust, it will be good. That is enough room for air to flow past to cool the line.

However, if you don't think its enough, you have to move it before you will feel comfortable about it, and it will always be on your mind. It will ruin your driving experience. Gene

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

1 more inch and it's good for ever. Don't do the firewall master crap. They look like crap under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotdamn likes this.
  9. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I have a 40 Ford sedan with the master cyl & booster under the floor. its close to exhaust. I have noticed after a long road trip (200-300 miles) I seem to have brake fade, such as coming to a stop on an interstate exit ramp. is it possible that's related to the proximity of the cyl to the exhaust??

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Way too close for safety. The exhaust looks too close to the frame as well. Yes, hot brake lines can cause brake fade. If the fluid boils you could lose your brakes completely.

11. Will be dealing with M/C, brake lines and exhaust on my sedan. So it sounds like the consciences is 2 1/4 " - 2 1/2" of space between brake line and exhaust is acceptable, but more would be better if there is room.

12. There is a heat sheilding material the go-fast boys wrap around their turbochargers. It's fairly thin, can be worked like 0.8mm Alluminum, and cheap.

13. phat rat

phat rat