Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects droping another 31 A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Olderchild, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I see everyone is going to 16''tiers when they drop there axle 4'' and do a reverse eye spring, can i still run the 19''tiers and not have turning issues,OH it's still stock& full fender ==thanks for any help =Jack

2. That is very likely way too much drop. Why do you want to drop it and still use the original wheels? Just wondering. …never seen one dropped much with original wheels/tires.

You might get by with a 2-1/2" drop to the axle. …or just a reversed eye spring.

The pic below of my '29 cabriolet which has 5:90-15 tire with 2-1/2" drop in the axle and a reversed eye spring. The fender and tire have adequate clearance, but the fender hugs the tire pretty well with a lot shorter tire than you are proposing.
    [​IMG]
    …and the spring has not settled in with any road time yet.

3. the answer is no
    [​IMG]
    and this is just a 32 axle and reversed eye spring
    tk

4. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, i have 4 new 19's with less than two hundred miles on them and didn't want to fork out another bunch of cash right away if i didn't have too, thanks again =Jack

5. adavis

adavis

I'm running 18" wires with 5.00 tires with a 4" drop I-beam and reverse eye spring and have no clearance problems. I am going to pull a leaf out of my spring to try and drop in another inch.

[​IMG]

Russ B.......I dig the way those headlights are aimed. :)

46international likes this.
  6. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah but your coupe is just crazy cool.

7. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

This car is perfect!!!!

8. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Man that's a bad ass coupe.. nice... I am running 5.25/5.50 17 and 7.00 18 on rear of my sedan no pronlems at all w just a reverse eye spring and few less leaves t spring in rear sits nice.

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

thanks adavis, so 19's just might work, nice chop i watch as you guys did it, paint my body black and we could have twinkies ;),i have no idea what the chop is on mine, cause it was done in the 50's(haven't figured out how to measure it yet)

10. adavis

adavis

Measure your door window height. Mine is 10.5" now with the 3" chop so that should allow you to calculate the chop on yours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Thanks, in the middle of the my door,on the outside of the door, it's 10.5'', now i can say for certain it's a 3'' chop thanks again=Jack

12. adavis

adavis

yep, that's 3". I bet it will look schweet. Post a pic when you get her dropped with those big wheels. I dig the way my 18's turned out......

13. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

For me to get pictures, it will take a act of god, i have to depend on my son for that part, im computer illiterate, you know old dogs and new tricks:D I'll try my best, hell my buddy said he wasn't coming in my garage again till he made sure his tetanus shots were up dated:eek:==jack

14. Muttley

Muttley

Every time I read one of your posts it's in Brak's voice.

15. adavis

adavis

Brak: Nobody wants to visit me in my little cloud... I don't know why. Maybe "cuz I'm cutting" muffins.

LOL!!!

16. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Well guy's i finely got the axle back that was suppose to only take a week or two at most;);),should have tagged this as the slow motion build. while cleaning parts i found the wishbone not in the best of condition the the lower right front of the bone where the spring perch bolt goes through, the bottom of the hole is egged shaped,i know it's tapered for a reason ,my question is,is it worth welding up and trying to get the proper taper/angle or just shit can it and find another one,there's plenty of evidence that old Henry had a busted nose at one time or another ,the cross-member is bolted in and the right frame rail still has a slight twist any advice thanks ============Jack

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I had no idea '29 Cabrios were briggs bodies. Cool.

18. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Bump, Canfield swap meet is next weekend,looks like this is going to end up being a, what's it worth Question

19. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo