Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dearjose

dearjose

Stoked you're coming up to rockfalls. I spent alot of time there in the late 80s/ early 90s. What were you running for a car back then? If it was a mopar im sure i remember it. See you saturday!!

els and timmy2times like this.
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

a lady at the elevator told me how it wasn't nice to drive my hot rod car to work and make all that noise. she said those kinds of cars have no place in our society. the next day i drove in with the electric cut outs open. first gear of course. she had nothing to say at the elevator as we waited for it to show up.[/QUOTE]

I realy get Bent when a Jerk pulls up to me & think that all Old car's are Slow & screw around with Me , they think there fast !!!!
    My 30 all Steel full fender's , is not all dolled up ,faded paint few dents & rust ,
    I have made it look like a 283 with a tunnel ram with two 2 barrel Carb's ,
    Most do not know its over 1,000 cfm's & 7inch wide street tire's ,( no cheater slicks )
    Bridgestone Radial
    De tuned ,short shift runes 6:70's in 1/8 over 105 mph , threw the mufflers,
    Street or track , & drive it 400-500 miles week ,
    I will not Run the 1/4 , no cage
    Brian that why I dig yr car , It's a Hot Rod drag car ,
    No trailer Queen ( I understand some time's it trailered )
    Squirrel has a real Hot Rod also & a few others on hear ,
    I would like to see Some other HAMB's Hot Rod's that are street driven more then 20 miles a week , Run 7:30's & faster 1/8 . no slick's nor big tire's , Real driver's ,
    Don't get me wrong I do have a very slow Hot Rod with a Flatty also , That's My jalopy !!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    els, timmy2times and volvobrynk like this.
  3. i ran there around 20 years ago. I remember fred englehardt was running the metro molded rubber 65 awb Plymouth against jeff wicks Daytona that day. I was running my 64 Plymouth sport fury at the time silver and black. it said cost cutters on the door in red.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

My daughter is racing on Sunday at Rockfalls, if we can get the Nitrous figured out. This will be here first time down the track. I have raced there in the past, with off topic cars and bikes. Its always neat to see what shows up out there.
    Brian, I am going to stop out on Saturday to see what is out there, and hopefully get to bs with ya. I just finished reading the article in Hotrod Deluxe, and I hope to see ya go faster than 10's, good luck.
    Tony

5. cool stop by and introduce yourself. should be a good time.

els likes this.
  6. On-Board video from the 8.67 run.

els, Bull, Freaky1 and 18 others like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

neat! the trick to video, is to put it on youtube first :)

Things happen fast, don't they?

8. Thanks for the ride Brian! OUTSTANDING!:D

9. loudbang

loudbang

Man you are BUSY in that cockpit. One hell of a lot of things to remember in less than 9 seconds.

els, volvobrynk, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  10. dearjose

dearjose

I was up there that day. I watched freds 65 when it was being built. It got painted at a local shop here too.My dad and i were up there with his 64 plymouth that day. Small world. Fred is the guy that bought the jayhawker from my pops. I think i remember ur car but it could b from the mopar nats. I went for about 5 years. 1st year at indy to but it sucked. Brice rd was where it was at. Cool.

40Mike, els and timmy2times like this.
  11. jose post 1376 shows the guy that ran the jayhawker. the guy in the dark blue shirt is chett gibbs. when fred sold his car it became the hee haw hemi. roy clark bought it.

els and loudbang like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

A few more pics from drag week showed up on facebook.

brehm1.jpg brehm2.jpg brehm3.jpg brehm4.jpg brehm5.jpg brehm6.jpg brehm7.jpg

els, timmy2times, volvobrynk and 11 others like this.
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the mental checklist...

els likes this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

The beast is a handful... Fun ride though. Thanks for sharing

els, volvobrynk and racer-x like this.
  15. Are you comfortable with that steering/shift selector setup? To me it looks like many passes could be ruined when you'll miss the gear due to hands being crossed at the moment of shiftlite :D... Kinda looks like the ratio in your rack and pinion is really slow, or there's a huge slack. Steering wheel turns a lot but front wheels not? When you back off after burnout you do plenty of correcting but it looks like nothing happens, maybe it's just the video angle.

els, racer-x and tomkelly88 like this.
  16. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

I remember the 64, I ended up buying the fenders from you when you went to glass.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm curious if it's not a mix between a small diameter wheel and a front suspension alignment that's set up to go straight? Good question either way

18. Glad to see you making progress. One safety note, don't forget to put your helmet shield down. It can become very important very quickly. Stay safe.

els, volvobrynk and racer-x like this.
  19. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

els likes this.
  20. I've been very busy today dealing with the efi. so i will go in order for questions. there is no rack and pinion in the car. its a corcair steering box. the corvair was the go to box in the early funny car days. its 5.5 turns lock to lock so its very slow. i like them a lot. its fnny how people pick up on things from the videos and pics. there are some race savy viewers here. i was just talking today to some friends on how i want to slow down the steering some more. i will go over this with jim at the shop. i have a slightly smaller steering wheel than the 65 thats some of it. we can also change the length of the steering arms. they are offered in several sizes. that will help a lot. backing up and staging is a matter of inches to be in the best spot on the track. the steering is far from sloppy. its amazing how many people can't stage a car straight or in the right spot. its harder than it looks. the shift buttons work great were they are it was just a crooked pass. i have run this setup before with great success. it just needs some fine tuning and more seat time. moving the bruno brake button to the wheel would allow two hands on the wheel for a launch under control. jim i was out driving around the corn fields today. I'm surprised you didn't hear me. i will hopefully bring it to lunch next week. I'm going to rock falls this saturday.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    els, volvobrynk, tomkelly88 and 3 others like this.
  21. the car is changing daily as we make adjustments. its not even close to the car it was on drag week. our focus changes daily to fine tune specific areas. the last few days we have concentrated on the gas efi side. at drag week it was not happy. the day before we left i snapped off the nipple on the fast map sensor. having a two bar map sensor on the boost gauge i just swapped the msd brand with the broken fast unit. big big mistake. the fast efi wouldn't function correctly. dave page from fast along with andy starr from hilborn electronic sales went out of their way to diagnose the problem. andy worked with me after hours from his home taking time away from his family to help out. on most hamb cars when there is a drivability issue the hood goes up. on this car the lap top is opened. its been rather frustrating the last few days but i have learned so much as far as how to diagnose the efi and how to make changes to the tune up. I'm starting to gain some confidence in my tuning abilities. the efi isn't so scary anymore.

els, volvobrynk, milwscruffy and 5 others like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

From the hot rod article kabineroller posted

Brian Kohlmann (“Kohlmann’s Krysler Koupe,” Nov. ’16) was back at the Meltdown Drags with yet another, even more radical 1932 Chrysler coupe. Only this time he was running the car on a flex fuel system of gasoline and nitromethane.

029-2016-meltdown-drags-kohlmann-1932-chrysler-coupe.jpg

els, volvobrynk, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian it was good to talk to ya today. Sorry that you couldn't make another run. I did video your second burn out though
    I'll see if I can load the video. Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. before we left for rock falls we rechecked the toe. it was off a little bit. we reset it and took it for a ride i brought a wrench with me and made a slight adjustment on the side of the road. its much better handling now. at the track on saturday the car felt perfect. i think with the aluminum axle it must flex a little thats why it needs more toe. in street trim the cars tires were set to m h specs of 13 lbs for the first pass. it spun terrible but ran 138 mph. there was no weight transfer. we dropped the air in the tires to 11lbs and softened the shocks four clicks. walking the car off the line dropped the et down to 10.0 we made another shock change and got back in line. we made the burnout and then the radiator cap broke dumping water on the track. so we learned a lot in two hits on the car. first it likes low tire pressure second it likes soft shock settings. on nitro is opposite on both. the toe setting made the car a lot easier to drive. so its all good news. we might take it out again next week for more street testing. there is a lot more et to drop.

els, Partzman56, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

That's neat...

what is the weight with it now in street trim, vs the old car?

els and loudbang like this.
  26. its going back to the chassis shop tuesday to get the interior finished up, i might put it on the scales if i have time.

els, Woogeroo, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. i drove the car all over town today. i was on country roads and city roads and the freeway. it got as hot as 210 degrees. we will most likely add some sheet aluminum to the trunk to help direct the air better out of the louvers. i took a lot of video i just need to figure out how to post it. everything i try says the file is too big.

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Easy if you put them on you tube first. Then its just copy and paste.

29. I will give it a try after work.

els likes this.
  30. Have you played with 4-link IC yet? Just thinking if theres no weight transfer. Hope you succeed with the video upload.

els likes this.