Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vortec Heads worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66corvair, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 66corvair

66corvair

Like the title states, I was planning to work a pair of vortec heads into my 350 rebuild.

I picked them up for 175 and just had them tanked, checked, and magnafluxed for $50. They will need a valve grind, new guides put in, and a shave on the deck. This will cost about $375.

THEN i need to buy a vortec intake for about $150. This puts my cost for these puppies at about 750. For that I could just buy new speedway heads and have brand new heads. Would it be worth it to try to sell these vortecs for the 225 and get my money back? I can use my conventional edelbrock intake with the speedway heads. Or do I just get these done and fixed up and run them.

Thanks!

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

henryj1951 and saltflats like this.
  4. 66corvair

66corvair

Yeah i've read through that article actually. Those speedway heads were what I was debating about.

It just seems like it might be a better piece of mind to get a brand new assembled set of heads over working over an old pair of vortecs.

henryj1951 likes this.

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You didnt mention what you're putting the motor in, and what purpose? Light car, heavy car, cruiser, truck, 8-row-cotton-picker?
    Even a brand-new set of heads should be checked by someone that is competent, whether its you or somebody you trust. Good Luck

henryj1951 likes this.
  6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i'd rake a chance on those heads, still may for mine,
    I was debating having my 993 heads milled for more compression...

henryj1951 likes this.
  7. Also with the aluminum heads you will drop some weight (Like free HP) and you can run higher compression without fear of pinging.

henryj1951 likes this.
  8. And remember on the Vortec truck heads, you also need to change springs and modify the long valve guides if you plan on running much cam at all - more cost ! They are also a thin wall casting and known to crack if they get overheated.

henryj1951 likes this.
  9. harley rider

harley rider

it pays to do research and shop around before you spend money. its hard to sell old heads, unless there some thing special. who ever you try to sell to will have same issue you do.

henryj1951 likes this.
  10. chargin03

chargin03

I would go for the new stuff.

henryj1951 likes this.
  11. The vortec heads make good power- if you are running upwards of .500 lift- yes you will need some machine work - but they work good. Not sure who makes the Speedway heads or if they are imported of not. If you do run the Vortecs- do your self favor and put a water by-pass from the intake manifold to the water pump- most aftermarket intakes have the provision for the by-pass .

henryj1951 likes this.
  12. It's easy to get $700 into a set of Vortec heads at a machine shop - ready to run a decent cam over 0.450 lift.

You can buy a few tools and make them work yourself much cheaper.

The heads work good.

13. 66corvair

66corvair

They are going in my boring run of the mill '69 impala. I had my engine go out and found a '73 4 bolt 350 block in need of a rebuild to go back in. TH350 and 10 bolt posi.

I don't have plans to get wild with a cam, i'm not building it for strip, just wanted the heads to flow better and vortec seems like an affordable option

I seem to be getting a lot of information on either side. I guess I was hoping to be able to run these vortecs without putting a lot of machine cost into them. If i didn't have to buy a new vortec style intake i'd probably just have the work done but that adds another $150 to get a new intake. I might put them up on local classifieds for awhile and see if anyone bites for a high price and if not just have them machined and run 'em.

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Did you look at the heads on the motor that went out? If you had 041, 41X or 040 they are not a bad head. Those would fall in that 69 era. There are others as well. Post what you have.
    The vortecs are considered one of the best of the stock heads, but as you have found out are not really a cheapie bolt on. Good Luck

15. The current state of things really determine the directions you can go.

In other words, you choose a destination and then calculate what's needed to get there or you assess your current resources and then calculate where you CAN go with intent of actually reaching that destination.

Sounds to me like you're starting with a Chevy that needs an engine, and a pile of parts, none of which is usable in its current state.

Sounds like you chose your destination and its basic motorvation for your Chevy.

Sounds like your budget minded if 150.00 intake can sway your decision.

Assuming I'm correct, you are the guy in the exact particular market the crate engine is targeted at. The 290 hp version should make you happy.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. 66corvair

66corvair

That's not really where I'm at. I've been driving this chevy for the last 5 years. I know the rest of the car is in good shape and decent. I had a cam lobe go out in my 327 and throw metal everywhere and instead of rebuilding that I found a 4 bolt 350 for free, so I might as well get a bit more stroke if i'm building an engine.

Regarding the $150 intake, it sways my opinion because that brings the requirements to run the vortecs to near the same cost as a set of new heads with a pre-86 intake bolt pattern. I have a pre-86 Edelbrock Performer I was running on my 327 I can reuse if i go that route. I have the money to build this engine, I just have a tight budget, there's a bit of a difference in my humble opinion. I hope that makes sense and I appreciate the input.

17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Hotroddon 's advice is very good (of course i'm biased he's from SOCAL)

18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

What happened to the missing posts?:mad:

20. 66corvair

66corvair

What missing posts?

21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

fg pulled his picture of a60 dollar vtech intake

22. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

There was another one outlining some things to do to the Vortec heads that might have actually helped you.

23. 66corvair

66corvair

Damn i missed that one. I saw the $60 vortec. I'm from a pretty small town though and usually only get one or two swap meets a year.

24. If you can DIY the heads id say they are a great dollar per Hp ratio. Not so mu

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

everybody that posted has / is just trying to help...even -->
    fg was indicating he bolted some on for somebody, and sounded like he likes them
    and said it ( your budget ) might be influenced by your DIY abilities...

26. Are those the Flo-Teks? I was steered away from those by my engine builder. I have the Summit Dart SHP head and intake top end kit on my SBC, ran me $1504 shipped. I'm very happy with it.

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

falcongeorge said:
    I have a totally different take on the Vortecs than most of whats been posted (and I have a set, and have built another motor with a set for someone else) but I think whether or not they are a good deal depends on how "DYI" you are.

FWIW, I bought this at a swap last year for $80 CDN, that's about $60 US.
    there ya go 31 is right on the BALL today ...

28. 66corvair

66corvair

I don't know that I can DIY a valve grind and put new guides in myself. The machine shop that mag'd the heads said there was one or two guides that were out of tolerance and that one head was a couple thousandths off. He said valves were in spec. So I'm looking at new guides, valve grind, and shaving the heads which I don't think I can really do.

29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

the Flo-Teks are the lowest starting point, i have HAD to redo many of them...right out of the gate..

assembled POORLY

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may be able to buy a pair of BARE aluminum heads for $600 bucks but what will they cost ready to run? I don't know the answer but I bet they make the Vortecs look like a good bargain.

The Speedway heads are $369.99 EACH so $740 plus shipping.

Vortec heads (that you already have) $375 + $150 for an intake = $525 or at least $215 cheaper.

If the budget is an issue I would use the Vortec heads and scan the ads for a used intake.