Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Timing gear chevy inline six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stoveboltswede, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Are there any adjustable timing gear sets available for Chevy 235/261?
    If not what type of set do you recommend for a souped up 235 Blue Flame?

2. squirrel

squirrel

usually an offset key is used to move things around if needed.

3. I am running the stock replacement Melling timing set for 261 ( Aluminum cam gear) on my 261.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Is there a big difference in quality etc between Melling and Cloyes parts?

Sent from my D6603 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Can't answer that, but I know that you can't just line up the marks and assume it's good. You need to degree in the cam. Set it to whatever the cam maker wants it to be. I've done the offset key thing. And had one engine that was so mismatched (tolerance stackup?) it took a whole tooth offset to get it right. One tooth is 13 degrees on the Chevy, I think.

stoveboltswede likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cloyes sells a gear set that has 3 slots in the crank gear for advancing/retarding the cam. I've bought and used them for my GMC's. I have also found the mark on the cam gear was off a tooth so always check. I was told by them that all 37 up cam gear demensions are the same so all would interchange.

stoveboltswede and gas pumper like this.
  7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Oh, and I was told, but have not tried this myself, that the later six, 292 has timing gears that are interchangeable with the old engines except they have straight cut instead of helical. I guess you could get a noisy gear drive out of that!!!!

stoveboltswede likes this.
  8. Yeah that would be cool! I'll look into that

9. Ok thanks for the tip

10. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yup that's the straight gears. I see on the application list it fits 235 and 261 as well as the later 6 and 4 cylinder engines. And gives 3 keyways for some adjustability.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Notice those are in their racing section not that u couldn't use them on the street. All Cloyes other sets have aluminum cam gears and not steel. And you can hear them, maybe, but they are not like SBC gear drives.

12. I asked summit racing bout applications and got the answer that the cloyes only fit 235/261 62- and the third generation inlinesixies... Strange because I thought that the 235 was about the same between 55-62 except some minor adjustments?

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

I agree with you on this. Especially the timing gears. It was one of the things that were not re-engineered between generations of engines and also the same gears are in the GMC inline sixes.