Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about Chevy Intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steffen Jobst, Sep 22, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

2. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Yeah, I see.

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

post 89 and 90 forsale there Steffen

4. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Yes. I understand.

5. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Ok. What now?
    I want to build my car periodic correct like it could be build with a small budget in the early sixties (whenn my father was in the USA to study).
    I thought "hot rodding" was a low budget thing of the young "common man".
    Now you tell me it was luxury?
    ---------
    In case of the intake:
    What was the cheaper and easier solution, when I wanted an aluminum intake for my 327 in 1965?
    Buying for 700.-$ an Edelbrock intake or buying from the Junkyard a used intake of a crashed Corvette (or other possible cars)?
    Any idea?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. Steffen, hot rodding has always been expensive. My dad raced circle track and drag in the 60s and 70s. He even had a full factory sponsorship with Olds in 1970. Even with the free drag car and tow rig, he couldn't buy it up at the end of the season.

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  7. Tman,
    Buy it up?

8. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Ok. Back to topic:
    What was the cheaper and easier solution, when I wanted an aluminum intake for my 327 in 1965?
    Buying for 700.-$ an Edelbrock intake or buying from the Junkyard a used intake of a crashed Corvette (or other possible cars)?

9. Prices were not like that in 1963. Link is for a 1957 Edelbrock catalog, and prices did not go up that much.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=7027

Then as now, Corvette engines were a premium, the sal vage yard would likely sell a pulled motor complete w/intake.

Also, there was the mystique that if the manifold came from a 3rd party such as Edelbrock - it just HAD to be better than the factory part.

10. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Sorry for the missunderstanding.
    Bubba1955 said:
    That's why I wrote 700 $.
    So you think a hot rodder would have bought the Edelbrock part instead of looking at the scrapyard?

11. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Just about 30 years ago I bought a very nice 340 HP Corvette aluminum intake for the princely sum of $180, it was listed in the local 'Recycler' newspaper at the time.

It was a local sale, I drove across town to the seller's home and tried to haggle with him but he wouldn't budge on his price. It was in excellent shape so I handed him his $180 and I was happy with the deal.

I have no idea what they go for nowadays but I'm pretty sure $180 was close to top dollar 30 years ago.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

@falcongeorge
    Explain what "day two" means and why all them 340, 350/365 horse intakes started collecting dust on shelves in the mid 60's.
    No matter how much we romanticize those days of great factory parts, the racers were pulling them intakes off the minute they started seeing the Edelbrock, Offy, and Weiands advertised in the car rags.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  13. Well, put it this way: I'm from MoTown. In 1963, guys were literally giving me their tri-power setups from Chevy & Pontiac, as they changed over to aluminum intakes and Carter AFB carbs.

Nobody, not a single soul gave a damn about original parts back then. New was cool, aluminum was shiny and faster.

We liked saying Edelbrock, Offenhauser, Crane, Weiand, Carter AFB, Sun Tach, etc.

Put you one up over the riff-raff.

I'm not eve sure that Edelbrock was the most popular for the SBC back then.

Think Offy was...

Attached Files:

14. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

"Put you one up over the riff-raff." Sorry ma english is not good enough to understand this.

So if I want an authentic low budget car of 1965 I have to buy today the now expensive corvette intake although the aftermarket stuff from 1965 is today cheaper?

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

GTO
    In the mid/late 80's, I started collecting many of my NOS sbc parts just before the musclecar restorers/flippers caused everything to run off the rails pricewise.
    This will put things in perspective as to where we are now.
    One of those parts was a new in the GM box 66/67 L79 intake manifold, paid $200 for it.
    There is the same one right now on that famous auction site for $1200, holy cripes:eek:.

This engine is full of NOS parts, you couldnt build it with used parts today for less than ten grand, crazy.

20160108_140752.jpg

16. riff-raff - common folk. "up over" means a social level above.

Yeah, depending on the part - you may pay dearly for OEM.

There's a barn on Bridge Lake Rd in Clarkston Michigan. Whoever bought my parents place there - if they saved it all - could retire on all the OEM and aftermarket I left behind. I had that barn filled to the hay mow.

The realtor called it "junk" (shrugs)

wraymen and Steffen Jobst like this.
  17. I'm sure they did both. Guys that had nice cars were not "wealthy" at least not in my neighbor hood. They had a decent job and spent accordingly. Maybe they didn't have nice clothes and expensive type girl friends. Most were very good at using what was available and affordable. Saving for long periods of time to get what they needed. You do not have the luxury of diving in a junk yard but you still have a choice. Throw out some big bucks for factory HP parts or throw out some big bucks for some after market stuff that is no longer being made. Damn, I guess it is a wealthy mans hobby. What the hell am I doing here?
    Riff-Raff= Gesindel

18. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Garage full of expensive car parts.
    When the husband dies, the widow gets a big garbage container and gets rid of all this shit and has now - after 30 years the first time of her life a place in the garage for her bicycle.
    -------
    I said: I will put pricetags on the parts, that my wife will see what it is worth.
    A friend of mine replied: If your wife sees how much money you spended on all these parts you will die much earlier than expected.

C. John Stutzer and wraymen like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've often said that when I die and I'm reincarnated; I want to come back as my wifes young second husband.

Steffen Jobst and wraymen like this.
  20. Remember when some one got a new parts catalog or a car magazine full of adds. You couldn't wait to take a look. Just like a kid seeing the Sears Wish Book for the first time. By the time the guy on the bottom of the totem pole got his hands on it the pages were all greasy and torn.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like a year old Playboy magazine at the sperm bank:eek:.

wraymen and C. John Stutzer like this.
  22. Well I'll be be damned! Something about that intake caught my eye - can't say exactly what - just like "I know that piece". DeWitt is not all that far from my parents place, and the description of the temp sending boss (bad threads) matches the intake I got from Jimmy Bradley's 62 vette.

I am not making this up!

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crapola, Adolf ! Lighten up a little.

24. Steffen, glad you took that with a grain of salt. ^^^^ referring to above post ^^^^ Jim