Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Harley rider started reading your 40 truck build.nice find..have you got demister vents on your dash.38 has none but ive an idea for fitting some without louvers no cutting and welding to the dash but not a priority for me until im up and running

2. Leakie

Leakie

nice work buddy!

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx again leakie.collected the pedal cleaned it up and offered it up.welder is gone on holidays for a week but ill get it welded somewhere in the next few days.powder coat it on Friday.hopefully another prob solved. burnt pedal 001.JPG burnt pedal 002.JPG first attempt by hand in steel is on the floor once I find the best position for the pedal when its welded I can drill the firewall and do the throttle cable,then the TV cable .its great to be finishing stuff

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    chop job likes this.
  4. harley rider

harley rider

thanks nunattax.
    It took me awhile to figure out what a demister was. over hear we call it a defroster. yes the 40 has defroster vents.

Attached Files:

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fin
    e big vents,what does your heater look like what size is it thanks its great to have something to compare to

6. harley rider

harley rider

sorry cant help ya there. I am not installing a heater.

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good for you did any come in it

8. bubba55

bubba55

Morning you Irish Nut - mine came with a heater - been reading where some have been getting the middle heater / ac unit out of dual systems in mini vans and SUV's and using them cause they're small and compact - haven't gotten that far yet - really like yer build - keep it up.

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

mike post a pic of your heater and where it was mounted and size of it.glad you like the build ill keep posting.how far have you got.hope to find an old heater some where.

10. bubba55

bubba55

Chris I don't have a pic to post or send ya - hopefully someone else might - don't even have the heater anymore it was trashed / busted up - as you know in these cabs - space is a premium - from what I've figured even the glove box might get nixed for a good heater and defroster unit. You're way ahead of me in yer build than me. Maybe this winter I'll get cracking on mine

11. harley rider

harley rider

Attached Files:

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just checked that heater on the jegs site.compact allrite a 7.5 inch cube really

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

bubba I just got a glove box in the door.i thnk I will be able to fit the glove box and still have room for a small heater from jegs or holden or from a small car.,and still have passenger legroom.that cab is getting bigger all the time.

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

original truck wheel painted was too shiney for me so I removed the shine interior 1 003.JPG wheel minus paint 002.JPG wheel minus paint 003.JPG STEERING WHEEL REPAIR N PAINT 001.JPG .
    was a case of u don't know what u got till its gone.when I intended painting it crème I used white primerand when I sanded the primer it showed up all the nicks it had received over the years.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

some progress on modified lokar throttle pedal . pedal in black 001.JPG pedal in black 003.JPG

Attached Files:

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

grommet size 001.JPG filler neck adapter 004.JPG filler neck adapter 002.JPG filler neck adapter 003.JPG I had problems locating a filler neck gasket that would fit the opening in my cab.i tried every where but couldn't locate one.got the.eventually got one from jim carter trucks looked the right shape.there was a 3/8 flange in the opening ,I filed that off so I could try the grommet,too small and the rain would have pissed in.nothing for it but make an adapter up.got a piece of 2mm mild steel rolled the same curvature as the cab corner.worked out the ideal cutout from a piece of cardboard to suit the grommet.i cut the steel with a hacksaw type blade in a jigsaw. filler neck adapter 006.JPG View attachment 3435257 filler neck adapter 002.JPG I used 4mm domed allen head screws to hold it together.paint is next.ill fill the allen heads so they will look like rivets.filler cap ordered up

next sand up the adapter and paint it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    chop job and Early Ironman like this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

filer cap tube 005.JPG filer cap tube 002.JPG filer cap tube 002.JPG filer cap tube 005.JPG moving on .cap is from a Harley.
    im making this up as I go.usually how much tube is sticking out in early chevys , ive about 1 3/8 in the pic

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    chop job and Early Ironman like this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

battery box ready to go.its a bit heavy duty if I was too make another id go 2mm s/s instead of 3 or burn some lightening holes innit

Attached Files:

20. Leakie

Leakie

Come on, hook that battery up and let's go for a ride!

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hiya leakie,wish I could,heading that direction

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moved on to the rear cab corners.there are two slots left in the rear cab corners from the factory.maybe they are there to let out the fumes from the underseat fuel tank.anyway I didn't want them left there so I set about filling them with a piece of 1.5mm mild steelonce I took off the b pillar to floor brace it was easy to make a template up.the bolts were quite happy where they were.a little light rust and some paint was keeping them there.eventually got them out.i saved the bolts and will use them again this time with locknuts..square heads up in the cab/locknuts underneath and out of sight
    im happy no rust found so I will use seam sealer to hold the patches in place and the weather out.a welding magnet will hold it in place while the sealer goes off.the sealer will give that corner some flexibility as well..ive used tiger seal seam sealer before with good results (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPOL-TIGE...hash=item568cb15378:m:mP5zC3dQGyG7KCz0Yl0xqoA)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cut the templates from 1.5mm steel today with a jigsaw and cleaned up with a file ..pain in the hole job working over your head and trekking up and down the pit.happy with how they turned ou so far.im using two small speaker magnets to keep them in situ for the moment.ill givethem some paint before I stick them in place.then probably underseal that bit afterwards

Attached Files:

24. bubba55

bubba55

I'm with you Leakie - I'll supply the petrol and you supply the fire ! Nice work there Chris - keeping it up I see - must be that Irish whiskey!

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

its the guinness

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Leakie likes this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ok cleaned up the area around the cab corners sanded and primed again painted the pieces to fill the gaps.driled and tapped a screw to hold the filler pieces while the seam sealer is setting.when the sealer was dry I sprayed everything with a undersealer..finished for now.unless I spray everything again with satin black. floor repair finished 001.JPG floor repair finished 002.JPG .glad that's over it dragged on for quite a while .

27. I used the smallest Vintage Air heater in mine. It has heat and defrost setting and was easy to install. Not the greatest picture but it's the black box on the right.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

that looks like a neat unit .what did you do for defroster vents?..are you using the glove box.

29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

happy paddys day from the garage.O Hambers