Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1959 Pontiac Valve Cover ID Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63gpman, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 63gpman

63gpman
    from MN

Hey guys,
    I do a lot of reading on here but not a lot of posting but am in need of some help with a set of valve covers that I own. I have no clue who the manufacture of these are. I reached out to Edelbrock directly as they looked a lot like theirs without the logo on them, but they said they were not theirs. Any Ideas? Someone said maybe MT, but all the Pontiac MT valve covers I have seen had Thompson or MT logo on them. The twist breather hole looks very similar though. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. I'll try to get some better pics soon IMG_0158.jpg

Thanks!

Deuces likes this.
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Early version of the Cal-Custom Pontiac valve cover? recent 021.JPG
    KK

Deuces likes this.
  3. 63gpman

63gpman
    from MN

Maybe??? I have looked through a lot of stuff in the net and have not come up with anything solid that would support any specific brand. I posted on the Performance years board but was not able to fully support the branding on these. One person thought they were Edelbrock so I went that route but did not find anything. Someone said Mickey Thompson, but they don't look like the known versions of them, but have seen some no logo MT valve covers for Chevy but not Pontiac. As far as them being Cal Customs, the one ones I have seen have a raised twist breather hole vs this one that is sunk.

Deuces likes this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a set of M/T covers that are marked as such. I would trade you if you are interested. Gary:)

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edelbrock claims those are early Edelbrock castings. The Edelbrock engineer I talked to said they used them for their "new" 41309 covers. The old and new are identical except for the Edelbrock script.

-Abone.

Deuces likes this.
  6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The top is the OG, the bottom is the new Edelbrock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, the top one is the OG, the bottom is the new Edelbrock. (don't mind the breather I stuck on) The Edelbrock guy I talked to said they used the old ones as the pattern for the new with the exception of the oil hole/ Edelbrock logo area.

I have so many set of Pontiac valve covers, that I think I might need some sort of rehab.....

-Abone.

7. 30panel

30panel

The truth come's out. The first step in rehab!

Deuces likes this.
  8. 63gpman

63gpman
    from MN

Thanks for the info!! Hard to argue with a photo like that with them next to eachother. I sent an email and had an online conversation with a rep from Edelbrock and they flat out said they were not theirs but clearly they are. Thanks for the info guys!

Roadster, I would be interested in trading these for the early MT valve covers. Not the newer square ones, but the older version.

9. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Thanks for the info. I have a set hanging on my garage wall waiting for the next Pontiac engine build. I'm hoping that is sooner than later.
    I have three uh I mean five or six sets of various Pontiac valve covers does that qualify me for rehab?

Deuces likes this.