Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wyke 32 Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, May 16, 2015.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

2. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

working on buttoning up the rear of the chop. stills need some hammering in a few spots but is coming around nicely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ryan also is getting the door tops cut and fit back to the body, then we will have to re align the hinges to account for laid back posts

[​IMG]

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

Keep the pics coming. This is an awesome build

4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

finally back on this one for a little bit.

the quarter panels are a little rough at the bottoms and around the wheel wells. we also wanted to rais the wheel well 1" for clearance with the large tires. So with that said there wasnt much of a choice except to make new quarters. so here is the process so far

after all the patterning the major shaping of the panel took place. here is the cleaned up bare quarter cleco'd in place

[​IMG]

then i had to make a die set to do the lower half of the center body line/ belt line. after the die said was made and tested. the belt line was hammered into the top of the panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then moving onto the wheel well bead. this was a challenge to lay out. had to raise just the center of the wheel well, then blend that arc into rest of the stock radius of the wheel well, all while keeping it round and smooth. so after that was determined and laid out, i had to make a guide fence for the dies to ride on to put the bead in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after the fence was done, and a hand full of dry runs on setting the wheel well bead. it was a go and hammered in the wheel well bead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then had to turn the edge of wheel well bead to turn under to meet the wheel well. used the power hammer and a tipping die set i made to do this. here is the panel with the old quarter removed, and the new one cleco'd in place. still some tuning to do on the wheel well tipped edge, and turn the edge for the door jamb. but starting to look like something. hope to make the wheel well tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Stogy likes this.
  6. Rodders

Rodders

Very nice

Stogy likes this.
  7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Great craftsmanship!

Stogy likes this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Amazing

Stogy likes this.
  9. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

You are a master metal man.

Stogy likes this.
  10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks guys

thanks but i wouldnt say i am a master. i still have a lot to learn, but only being 30 i hope to continue to grow and build nicer cars and parts

11. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

a little more progress from today. got the inner wheel well made. still need to do some bead work on it. then i can start the trimming and welding. not bad for a 2 pc hand made quarter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

You made two mirror image guide fences? Can't you just draw a line and free-hand that? Or does it get jerked crooked?

Stogy likes this.
  13. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

you can not draw the line and free hand it. you wont be able to control the panel and get smooth body line. making guide fences is the best route with odd shaped lines in panels

Stogy likes this.
  14. That looks great Mike !

Stogy likes this.
  15. Better to be a master than a baiter ! :cool:

thanks but i wouldnt say i am a master. i still have a lot to learn, but only being 30 i hope to continue to grow and build nicer cars and parts

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

WOW! I have never seen quarter panels made in that fashion. Outstanding work!

Stogy likes this.
  17. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

got the fading accent bead done in the wheel well today as well as some trimming and fine tuning. now i can start the final trimming and fitting to get the wheel well ready to weld into the new quarter. then it will be ready to weld in the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also started finishing the new roof panel on the pass side that Kyle Yocum started for me back in July

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and Champscotty58 like this.
  18. YJ4000

YJ4000

Very nice. Always like seeing your work.

Ryan.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Outstanding craftsmanship!

Stogy likes this.
  20. All I can say at this stage of the build is.....WOW#!

Stogy likes this.
  21. scotti32

scotti32

Wow, absolutely outstanding work. Wish i could get you to do some work on mine.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Henry has to be smiling at what you are doing to bring this old girl back to life. Hell, I think you hammer a whole car together from flat stock! Amazing workmanship!

Stogy likes this.
  23. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks for the kind words guys

Stogy likes this.
  24. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

What pedal assembly did you use?
    Nice work!

25. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

got the tack strip recess hammered into the roof panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  26. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

things didnt quite go as planned on the recess for the rain gutters. some how either i miss measured or the pattern moved as i was laying out the line. so the recess was about .375 to high at the front of the car. instead of throwing away the piece that i had a ton of time in, it was better to cut and add a section in the panel to move the recess down. had to do a little shrinking and stretching to make it fit right but it resolved the problem

cut and the piece moved down with the filler tacked in

[​IMG]

welded solid and a pass through the power hammer to flatten out the weld. still need to add a little form to the bottom edge and some planishing, but it coming around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and 117harv like this.
  27. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

things didnt quite go as planned on the recess for the rain gutters. some how either i miss measured or the pattern moved as i was laying out the line. so the recess was about .375 to high at the front of the car. instead of throwing away the piece that i had a ton of time in, it was better to cut and add a section in the panel to move the recess down. had to do a little shrinking and stretching to make it fit right but it resolved the problem

cut and the piece moved down with the filler tacked in

[​IMG]

welded solid and a pass through the power hammer to flatten out the weld. still need to add a little form to the bottom edge and some planishing, but it coming around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]